Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried about my girlfriends 14 year old sister. I was sorting something out on her mobile phone tonight and a text came through from one of her school friends, it said 'about what, cutting yourself ?'. I didn't read the text but it came up at the top of screen as its an android phone.
I could try and just tell her she can talk to me if she needs to but am rarely on my own with her, or I could tell my girlfriend or her mum. Thing is she seems a happy normal girl and it is possible there could be some explanation for the text so am worried that if I do that it could create a big worry for nothing.

What would you do ?:confused:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Seeing as there is a genuine reason you were using the phone, I would be inclined to mention something to the girlfriend. Does her sister seem distant or withdrawn sometimes when you are around her? Self harm almost always goes under the radar unnoticed, but is also a cry for help (personal experience). At worst, it could be all over nothing, at best it could help her if she is harming.

For me, someone finding out and talking to me helped (once I accepted there was a problem). Ultimately, you know how someone might handle this if you mentioned it to them - it's your call.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She can seem a little distant sometimes but she is usually buried in her mobile or on facebook. She looked at me when She got her phone back and read the text. yea think I need to tell my girlfriend what I saw.

Thanks for replying mate

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Children of that age are vulnerable and readily influenced. Don't necessarily assume or worry too much at first - girls at that age exhibit almost as much pose and bravado as boys. The group-emo vibe is very influential.

You had a legimate reason to see the text, and a reasonable judgement might be to raise the matter with your girlfriend. Then need to agree what to do.....but I would suggest caution, especially if this is a first potential indicator. The best analogy I heard was that teenage girls (during those vulnerable times) are like deer.......you need to have patience to earn their trust, taking time, and being consistently open and "there". Crashing about trying to be helpful will just make them bolt.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,579 Posts
Very difficult to know how to approach this. I borrowed a friend's camera a while back and looked at what was in the memory. I saw a number of very young teenage girls with what looked like fake blood on their arms and legs. At first I thought it was some kind of Halloween thing.

Looking closer I realised that they were deep slashes and it shocked the heck out of me. One of the girls was the daughter of my friend. There was no way her mother could not have noticed what would have left reasonably deep scars.

I showed my friend the photos and she went into hysterics. I don't know what the answer is but believe me I was in a state of shock seeing these and I just don't have any answers or suggestions. I never had a clue this type of stuff went on to this degree.

I just don't get it. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would really like to talk to the girl myself as I have known her for a long time and get on well with her, but I just can't leave it until then as it could be ages before I get the chance.
Am trying not to jump to conclusions but if i tell my girlfriend she will at least just be aware and be able to keep an eye on her

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
It might of course just be talk, no more than that. Speak to your gfriend and try and keep an eye open for tell tale signs before doing anything further. The signs should be easy enough to spot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts