Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...the Giulia? In road trim, race trim, rally trim, hoodlum trim, or Polizia trim, is there any functional box that looks cooler than this? Bear in mind that despite being shaped like a brick, its quirky looks had a hidden ace up their sleeve - aerodynamics. It wasn't until 1982 that a production saloon car came along that finally bettered the lill' Giulia's cd figure...and Audi spent millions to ensure the 100 was the most aerodynamic car of the 1980s. Well, there's nothing quite like being twenty years behind, I guess ;)

Finally...wanna know where the 159's face gets its sexy/angry scowl from? Take a look at the 159's great, great, great, great nonno - its scowl is in Alfa's DNA!

Alfa Romeo GIULIA - YouTube

Make no mistake; this is one cool little car. Do I want one? Yes please :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to agree. My dads' first Alfa and still my favourite car of all-time. Until it was rear-ended on the A406 by a bloke reading his paper!

·
Registered
69 Posts
UNB 314K, my Dad's Giulia Super and his first Alfa, sparked an affair
for me that has continued for 40 years.

One day, I hope, I shall have my own Giulia :thumbs:

Nice thread, Gino :thumbs:
CLR 251B, although the original plate was HR 01. That was sold to HR Owen by the previous owner - my uncle! He had an Alfa repair workshop in Astwood Mews, Kensington, in the 60s/70s, which is probably very expensive housing now.

I contacted DVLA to see if I could by the 'B' plate to stick on my Alfa. Unfortunately they don't resurrect old plates.

G

·
0 Posts
Great car, but prefer the Giulia coupe myself. And I shall be getting one as a long term retirement toy.

But well said and a good thread.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as you have gathered i only mean this thread to be a bit of lighthearted fun :) but the reason I'd say the Giulia saloon is just a bit cooler that the coupe, is because it's easier for a coupe to be cool, especially when it's so pretty.

The coupe doesn't have to try to be cool; but the saloon doesn't care whether it's cool or not - an that's cool

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I like the Q car aspect of a Giulia. Dave Hood had a pretty standard looking one that put out 180hp and which, due to its light weight would see off many modern 250hp sports cars - as well as being a lot more fun. I used to do business with a supplier who had a Giulia Ti in the 60's in communist Bulgaria, he reckoned it was the fastest car oin the country at the time.

There are times (not often) when the 4 seat comfort of a saloon would be nice to have. And until you've sat in a Giulia saloon you don't realise how much the thick A,B and C Pillars and high window line have made modern cars so hard to see out of and so dark.

Sadly, they are not loved by the market, nor by enough previous owners for many to have survived. Plenty have been cannibalised to keep a Bertone Coupe or Spider on the road. Berlina Diffs are much sought after by racers.

Anybody remember this Maltesers advert ? Maltesers 'Roller' commercial - YouTube

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Harry, is your Spider green?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Nope - it's red with some rusty bits on it. Oddly enough when it was originally made it was Verde Inglese, but resprayed red before I bought it. It's the first 2000 RHD Spider made (chassis 2470001) and I like to think that someone in AR production thought it would be a somewhat poetic touch if the first one they built for the UK market was, appropriately, English Green in colour.

Had that car for 25 years now, currently booked for scarily expensive restoration next year.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Bear in mind that despite being shaped like a brick, its quirky looks had a hidden ace up their sleeve - aerodynamics. It wasn't until 1982 that a production saloon car came along that finally bettered the lill' Giulia's cd figure...

Finally...wanna know where the 159's face gets its sexy/angry scowl from? Take a look at the 159's great, great, great, great nonno - its scowl is in Alfa's DNA!
Interesting. A quick check of the interweb reveals a Cd of 0.33 for both the Giulia and the 159, so aerodynamics no better for the modern car despite over 30 years age difference.

For an equivalent of the same age, despite looking more streamlined, the Citroen DS had a Cd of 0.38, about 15% more.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Interesting. A quick check of the interweb reveals a Cd of 0.33 for both the Giulia and the 159, so aerodynamics no better for the modern car despite over 30 years age difference.

For an equivalent of the same age, despite looking more streamlined, the Citroen DS had a Cd of 0.38, about 15% more.
smaller frontal area?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
smaller frontal area?
Nope. You multiply Cd by the frontal area, then by velocity squared to get the actual drag force.

I reckon it's in all the little details around the windows etc, and how these details create vortices which increase drag. Lots of detail design in there.

I shared an office with two guys doing F1 aerodynamics during my uni days. Still something of a black art, with lots of testing and trial-and-error design.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope - it's red with some rusty bits on it. Oddly enough when it was originally made it was Verde Inglese, but resprayed red before I bought it. It's the first 2000 RHD Spider made (chassis 2470001) and I like to think that someone in AR production thought it would be a somewhat poetic touch if the first one they built for the UK market was, appropriately, English Green in colour.

Had that car for 25 years now, currently booked for scarily expensive restoration next year.
ah, ok, cheers for clarifying :thumbs: i asked because you are in Surrey, and sometimes in Surrey/Windsor, I see a green Kamm-tailed spider, and i wondered if it was yours :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reckon it's in all the little details around the windows etc, and how these details create vortices which increase drag. Lots of detail design in there.
you're probably onto something there, Matt; when it was launched in 1982, Ford pushed the Sierra as the aero car for the aero age, believing that if you make the shape round-ish, it would be aerodynamic-ish. However, sticky-out wipers, door handles and rain gutters that stood proud probably didn't help its CD...a point not lost when at the same time, Mercedes introduced the orthodox-looking three box 190E, which had a lower CD than Ford's 'aero car', thanks to clever detailing and engineering. I *think* the 190's CD matched the Audi 100's, although Mercedes treated this as an 'incidental' fact, rather than a key selling point. Oh to be so smug and content! :lol:

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Nope. You multiply Cd by the frontal area, then by velocity squared to get the actual drag force.

I shared an office with two guys doing F1 aerodynamics during my uni days. Still something of a black art, with lots of testing and trial-and-error design.
yes, rings a bell

remember Setright writing about similar in the 80's:thumbs:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, rings a bell

remember Setright writing about similar in the 80's:thumbs:
indeed he did, Steve! Sorry to sound boring (again!) he also went on to explain why (here's the boring bit) the 190's rear window was shaped the way it was (it has 'folds' either side), and why the rear wings are not flat at the top (like the boot), but have a diagonal dip to them. All for aerodynamics. It was a fascinating article, but being a plonker I binned it :eek:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
me too :( you can buy the old editions on fleabay of course.
And I'm very tempted to! I have never, ever bought or sold anything via eBay. I'm holding off, because if I open an account, I'll open a door to a past I'm hell-bent on purchasing! :)

I think Chaters & Scott (the automotive bookshop people) have some back issues of CAR for sale...or at least it used to. Maybe later I will check...if the prices are good, I'll have a sniff around. Not sure if they have a retail presence anymore. They moved from Isleworth to Camberley (just up the A30 for me). I don't know if they're still there or not. Let's see what they charge per issue v eBay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts