Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned 2 156's, a GT and my latest...a GTV 3.0 V6, I have now sold all my Alfa's and am currently running about in an MX5.

I was looking to the Alfa range for my replacement car, but I ideally want something that has the razor sharp steering of the 156/GT, with RWD, sub 6 seconds performance with great looks, which only really leaves the 8C Competizione.

I love Italian/British cars, so have looked at the usual suspects

Maserati 3200 - Ferrari running costs in the current climate is not a good idea
VX220/Elise - Hard finding a nice one, as most have suspension that are about to fall off and various other issues, but I adore the handling
350Z (Japanese but great) - Razor sharp handling, torquey engine...but no character
TVR - of some kind...rather put off by the recent £4000 bill a friend recently received

also considered the BMW M3 E46, but again not that soulful

Whilst the MX5 does it all, with the exception of performance....

What do my fellow Alfisti consider to be the next step

Considering I am 23 (but having insured a 3.0 GTV V6 for a year, I can pretty much insure most cars in budget)

Looking to spend up to £12-13k for the perfect car

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Whatabout buying and modifying a GTA? Or has the rear-wheel drive bug bitten you?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatabout buying and modifying a GTA? Or has the rear-wheel drive bug bitten you?
I would have considered a 156 GTA/GT 3.2...but having had two 156's and a GT before, I think I need to close that chapter.

....and the RWD bug has bitten me, and bitten hard.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
In that case - why not buy a nice, fast RWD runaround for 6 months, and see if you enjoy it enough to stick with it.

Mk2 Toyota MR2 Turbo would be my bet. Can get a good one for £2-3k.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case - why not buy a nice, fast RWD runaround for 6 months, and see if you enjoy it enough to stick with it.

Mk2 Toyota MR2 Turbo would be my bet. Can get a good one for £2-3k.
It needs to be client friendly as well...with a little bit of prestige...hence the Alfa's have always been a great choice (and so much fun!)

I want something classy, fun, quick, with all of the above attributes.

A TVR Griffith/Chimera keeps knocking at my door, I might just have to let it in.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'd go for the Masser 3200 personally, I adore them. I know it might be expensive to maintain, but is it much more than an Alfa?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E36 BMW M3 EVO. That be about the most of it for prestige and RWD fun.
Funny you should say that, as a 15 year old boy I adored the E36 M3...but having driven a lesser model, I think they are seriously dated now (especially the interiors) and have a certain stigma around them....too many barry boys have them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go for the Masser 3200 personally, I adore them. I know it might be expensive to maintain, but is it much more than an Alfa?
My neighbour used to own one (which is where my love for them grew....hearing that V8 start every morning!!), and I recall the rear light cluster costing £1200 to replace!

I also drove one about 2-3 months ago, fantastic power delivery, a great drive, but the fixtures and fittings were all surprisingly worn for the age and rust under the rear arches and inner wings....maybe it was a rough one and I should investigate further.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had that kind of money knocking around for a car this would be it;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JENSEN-BROWN_W0QQitemZ150278712348QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150278712348&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:7|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Old bruiser, but a classic. Much more client friendly than a BMW. Shame it's that extra rare 4WD version!!
Oooh classics...please don't get me started!!

The amount of Giulia's/Montreals, old MGB GT V8's, E-Type's e.t.c I lust after, continue for an eternity.

D

·
0 Posts
Funny you should say that, as a 15 year old boy I adored the E36 M3...but having driven a lesser model, I think they are seriously dated now (especially the interiors) and have a certain stigma around them....too many barry boys have them.
Ya I have to agree the interior is filthy but the engine snd the exterior screams 90's German cool:D

Can you strech to a E46?? M3 or even a 330i?? They are the be all and end all of RWD poise.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Let's see how many boxes it ticks for you;

Big V8
Auto
4WD
ABS
Traction Control
Tax Exempt
Brown??
Leather/wood/Wilton Interior
Bit of grunt
Italian Styling (Vignale)
Yank mechanicals (big and simple)
British hand built
price of a Focus!!

even got it's own website,
http://www.jensenff.co.uk/

and (sadly) nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I have to agree the interior is filthy but the engine snd the exterior screams 90's German cool:D

Can you strech to a E46?? M3 or even a 330i?? They are the be all and end all of RWD poise.
The M3 or 330i (E46) isn't a problem price wise...but my main issue is the fact its a BMW, I should really drive one before writing it off :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's see how many boxes it ticks for you;

Big V8 - Yes please
Auto - No thank you
4WD - Could be acceptable, probably a bit safe for me
ABS - Yes please (only drivers aid I consider useful)
Traction Control - No thank you
Tax Exempt - Yes please
Brown?? -
Leather/wood/Wilton Interior - yes
Bit of grunt - yes yes
Italian Styling (Vignale) - yes
Yank mechanicals (big and simple) - yes
British hand built -yes
price of a Focus!! -yes

even got it's own website,
The "Bremar Jensen FF"

and (sadly) nothing to do with me.
For that reason I also considered an Corvette C5, but the auto box is the biggest downfall for me, very muted experience.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
My dad had a nearly new VX220 2.2 and he was very disspointed with it.
It wasn't all that quick, the build was rubbish, the engine sounded flat and it understeered everywhere.

The turbo version is a whole diffferent kettle of trout though. :D

D

·
0 Posts
The M3 or 330i (E46) isn't a problem price wise...but my main issue is the fact its a BMW, I should really drive one before writing it off :thumbs:
I know what you mean about the BMW thing but if you don't want an Alfa clearly as they are all FWD, BMW is as someone said on here a grower to love whereas an Alfa is love at first feel you are smitten but a BMW is more of an effort to love but you will them straight 6 engines are the sweetest other than Alfa's I have ever heard love em.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know what you mean about the BMW thing but if you don't want an Alfa clearly as they are all FWD, BMW is as someone said on here a grower to love whereas an Alfa is love at first feel you are smitten but a BMW is more of an effort to love but you will them straight 6 engines are the sweetest other than Alfa's I have ever heard love em.
I didn't actually like one of the straight 6 engines in a 325i E46 I drove, it was fairly hushed (not raspy like an Alfa unit) and the power delivery is very progressive, always felt like I was riding about in a limo....and I hate that.

I think/hope the M3 E46 is a very different kettle of fish

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bristol 410 / 411, Alvis TE / TF21. British classics with minimum depreciation. You're probably looking at £20K for decent examples but what presence!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 46 Posts