Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to think that people who complained about the Police were frankly, people who drew the attention to themselves but seriously I got stopped yesterday for....

Having my side lights on!!

I'll give you the conversation...

The office blue and twos and pulls me over:

Officer: "The reason why I've stopped you is for having your fog lights on, which is an offence under blah blah etc"
Me: "I don't have my fog lights on"
Officer: "Yes you do, I saw you as you came past me"
Me: "Seriously, I don't have my fog lights on"
Officer: "Look, do not lie to me, or you're going to find yourself in more trouble"
Took my name and address etc.

Quite stunned, I turned to my brother in the passenger seat, who also confirmed I had not had my fog lights on. The officer looked fresh out of training school, and wandered off around the car, and stood in front of it, while he radioed in my details.

I reached down to the fog light switch and flicked it on and off repeatedly. The look on his face was UTTERLY priceless :cheese:

He wandered around the car before coming to my window.

Officer: "What car is this?"
Me: A GTV
Officer: GTB?
Me: G.T.V.
Officer: Right, thank you for stopping, that's it.

What a [email protected] idiot. Didn't even have the balls to apologise for calling me a liar! Really thought he had me as well :lol:

·
Registered
583 Posts
dont loose faith fella, just doing job etc.
what you have provided in fact is 'on the job training' which is no bad thing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Newbie bobbies are notorious i know i was one once.

Had one jump out on me bout 15 yrs ago when i was driving home and tell me a car matching mine had been reported stolen, so a brief trip to the Station followed by serious guidance from the duty sergeant sorted out his attitude, damn if the bugger didnt go on to inspector long before i left the job....pity i never got to work with him his life would've been hell.

However some of the "new breed" are worryingly power crazy, just remember if you have an issue, be polite, get his collar number and name and write a nice letter..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A mate and I were once stopped in an Orion by a newly qualified copper who had passed his vehicle inspecting exam that week he used his unmarked car and called in 2 others to Tpack us as we were driving at 12.30am at 40 mph in a 40 zone!!!! It was 1991 and his issues were:
We were out at this time of night out of our area ..... Actually we were 15 miles from home having finished work at midnight in Newcastle dropped my mates girlfriend off on route and were heading home!!!!

The wheelarches had rust!!! It was a 1984 Orion they had it for free when you bought them!!!!

The best though was his issue with the Coast Gaurd on call sticker in the back window as my mate a parttime coastgaurd this seemed a reasonable thing to have he felt not!!!!

Result was my mate mentioned the incident to his coastguard boss who went mad complained to his head office and their version of a chief inspector spoke to the coppers chief inspector and rookie got a flea in the ear and was sent to apologise :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agree with the comments above, don't lose faith, every office/business/company has that prat that works for them and they think they know it all; the police are just a section of the public in the end, and you'll always get that one which paints a bad light on the rest of the police force.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
In running a fleet of taxis we regularly fall foul of over zealous police who don't know MOT and hackney carriage regs. We can often get cars taken off the road on busy nights because "you have a tyre that is on the wear bars" when actually you can only see the wear bars and the tyre has 2mm+ on it. If we get given a ticket for a sidelight out the car has to be taken off the road till it can be re tested at an MOT station, which is sometimes 2 days later on bank holiday weekends. It costs us hundreds of pounds.
These are the same traffic police that jump in their cars and bugger off with blue lights on as soon as any trouble kicks off outside the clubs. :rolleyes: T****** .

K

·
0 Posts
Any job with a bit of power will attract the odd nobhead. Bar one, every traffic officer I've had dealings with has been pleasant and polite (even the one who did me for having no VED).

The one exception pulled me in Oldham 20-odd years ago for turning right in a right turn only lane without indicating. I think he was having a bad day because he stood on the kerb ranting at me like a bit of a loony for about 5 minutes. Remember that he can spoil your day a lot more than you can spoil his though.

"Yes officer"
"No officer"
"Really officer? I didn't know that."

And so on.

·
0 Posts
Any job with a bit of power will attract the odd nobhead. Bar one, every traffic officer I've had dealings with has been pleasant and polite (even the one who did me for having no VED).

The one exception pulled me in Oldham 20-odd years ago for turning right in a right turn only lane without indicating. I think he was having a bad day because he stood on the kerb ranting at me like a bit of a loony for about 5 minutes. Remember that he can spoil your day a lot more than you can spoil his though.

"Yes officer"
"No officer"
"Really officer? I didn't know that."

And so on.
I agree absolutely. Best off just playing the game sometimes. it's just easier

N

·
0 Posts
Happens all the time.

"You didn't have your seabelt on." etc.

Basically if a copper says you did, or didn't, do something
then that's what happened.

It's like a reality warp field. You just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
only ever been pulled over once, apparently i cut a copper up at a roundabout at the airport. i was absolutely nowhere near cutting him up but he was a right miserable bugger obviously having a bad day. didn't argue with him as i realised i still reeked of booze from the night before so kept my gob firmly shut :eek:

as mentioned on here, best method i'd imagine is to be polite with them and let them have their rant at you. but make a mental note of their number and report them to their chief constable the day after :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happens all the time.

"You didn't have your seabelt on." etc.

Basically if a copper says you did, or didn't, do something
then that's what happened.

It's like a reality warp field. You just have to deal with it.
Which is fine, but if you have a £30 ticket on the line, it makes you keener to prove your innocence :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Which is fine, but if you have a £30 ticket on the line, it makes you keener to prove your innocence :lol:
Living here I've got used to the fact that,
unless you want to make matters worse
for yourself you never lodge a complaint against
the police.

With that in mind, there's little you can do
but take it on the chin.

;)

M

·
0 Posts
I was pulled once in the 5 series 'because I didnt look like I could afford a car like that'

I was enormously polite and let him run through his checks and pnc etc, added a few minutes onto my journey and was a bit of an inconvenience/insult... but I remained polite and pleasant the whole way through and eventually we both went on our way.

Luckily, he didnt decide to search me, I had half an oz of green in my pocket :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I was pulled once in the 5 series 'because I didnt look like I could afford a car like that'

I was enormously polite and let him run through his checks and pnc etc, added a few minutes onto my journey and was a bit of an inconvenience/insult... but I remained polite and pleasant the whole way through and eventually we both went on our way.

Luckily, he didnt decide to search me, I had half an oz of green in my pocket :lol:
:cheese::cheese::cheese: He must of had a serious cold / blocked nose not to smell the green

V

·
0 Posts
I had a similar experience once.

I had been out for a meal but when it came to pay I couldn't find my wallet so praying it was still in the car I left my date as a deposit ran to my car. Luckily the wallet was ony seat. Decided to drive back to the resturant as it would be quicker. I pulled up out side half on half off double yellows. Went in paid, collected the unimpressed lady and went back to the car. Was literally 2 minutes tops.
As I got into my car a voice yelled to me "Oi! Come here son" from a police officer leaning out of the window of his car. I went over and he told ms to move my car. I explained the situation and he called me a liar and said it had been there all night and he had been waiting next to it for ten minutes to have a word with me. I immediately refuted his claims, respectfully, but he asked me if I was calling him a liar and said if I did so again I would be in for a night on the cells for section 5. He then proceeded to give me a right blocking about parking on double yellows, checked my car for MOT, tax, ins, kicked all the tyres and begrudgingly let me on my way. ******.

Didn't get a second date either

·
Registered
975 Posts
As mentioned above, it's the same in any job/trade, there are good uns and bad uns. I've had 2 experiences that illustrate this:

1. Driving at night on an A road it was v foggy so had my front fogs on. Got to the city and it had cleared - forgot to switch fogs off (no indication on dash). Copper pulled me over and told me to "Turn your f*****g lights off!" which I thought was uncalled for, as I had pulled over straight away and been polite at all times.

2. Travelling down the A1 late at night with just me and a few lorries on the road. Got pulled for doing 85-92 over an 8 mile stretch. Copper was decent enough, realised I wasn't driving 'dangerously' and said if I stuck to 80 there'd be no problem. Common sense approach! More like how policing should be!

·
Administrator
46,282 Posts
Seems a bit extreme to lose faith in the entire policing force of our country because 1 individual was mistaken about the minutiae of GTV lighting, and was a little ungracious when proved wrong. :confused:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I always quite liked Sting, he was good in Dune

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I have to say that i am the same as the OP!?:) Recently, i was in a rush (I know its not an excuse.:rolleyes:) anyways, i was and on the way to where i wanted to be was a notorious roundabout which always had tail-backs because people are not on the boil in the AM (IMO) anyways, to the left of this three lane entry roundabout is a bus lane that is always pretty much empty so, i like many others took the foolish decision to use the bus lane as the sliplane which is/was the norm. I come upon the traffic que and duked left as many others were doing and just there right in front of me were the Blue's. Young chap, walks upto the car and the first thing that came into my head i spoke! I said "Fair cop, i have no defense" as this is what i was thinking in my head and next thing he developed such an attitude im guessing on hindsight @ "Fair Cop" so he starts all the lights, tyres, insurance bull! and i said to him in a very calm voice that i did not think before i said "Fair Cop" and genuinely meant it was a fair cop guv! and that was all. At this point i am now 20 mins late for a very important appointment and asked if i could speak to his senior officer at which point he let me go with a £60 ticket for Bus-lane breach. I think the recent new recruits have in my experience an attitude problem. (IMO)

M

·
0 Posts
I got a section 59 for using a bus lane :(

In fairness, I was undercutting a car I'd just raced off the lights...

£30 fine and S59 :cry:

I won though. :D

1 - 20 of 85 Posts