Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 36 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
I can sympathise - same problem with mine - ARB bushes starting to knock, o/s/f top arm squeaking in dry (again) A horrible rumbling noise when air-con kicks in at idle though quietens after a 10 seconds or so (simular noise but quieter if you hold it on full lock), been told its the air-con compressor and spring loaded tensioner but tensioner won't have done 15k since last change and the belts new - someone has suggested it could be the dmf flywheel starting to go - don't thinks its compressor as surely it would be noisy all time it was running and it quietens if revs raised.
Tempted to change for Brera but heard bad reports on JTD or 159 Sportwagon - but all in my price range have done more miles than current car:(

· Registered
137 Posts
I suppose we have to think how much is it going to cost to replace them, whatever you buy and put thousands towards is still going to need stuff doing unless you buy from a dealer - could be a case of better the devil we know - mine still looks and sounds great!
Is you clutch slipping or dmf gone?
Mine had had a new starter fitted when I first bought it but still just clicked sometimes - eventualy I found it was just a bad crimped connection at the battery end of starter lead:)

· Registered
137 Posts
Just read all the above posts since my last one, mechanic who listened to mine recons the dmf is going and that sends vibrations down crank to pulley/belt end of engine at low revs - he says thats why auxillary belt tensioner jumps about and theres noise from air-con compressor when they are running, mines had two tensioners in 40k for this fault and its now as bad again!!! they can't all be failing after susch a short time surely?

Like Scottyf says - if the rest of the car is ok then forget the resale value and repair it -seems to go against the grain to me but IT IS propably cheaper than replacing it with something that will have issues to fix and the subsiquent loss in value

Right i'm off to look at my noisy belts and pulleys:(

· Registered
137 Posts
Well, the guide pulley on the top of belt (attached to cambelt cover) seems noisy and has quite a lot of lateral (wobbles) play - i'll get one off ebay and take it from there!

Kevmjd - i'll try the clutch tomorrow morning, can't save i've heard anything from that end of engine though and theres no judder setting off so hopefully mechanic is wrong

· Registered
137 Posts
No noises from clutch end - just kind of ocsicilating rumble/rattle from belt end when air-con or all electrical loads on and engine idle drops, going to change top belt pulley and see what develops - it will get worse before it brakes i'm sure
Any reliable independents up here in North Yorkshire - Leeds - Bradford - Preston area?

1 - 9 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.