Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is wrong with "I'm well" instead of saying that "I'm good" which sounds more like a judgement on your own behaviour ?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'm tired :D

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That could be from trying hard to be good but means you don't feel well then?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Maybe..... :D

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Reminds me of whenever I see the children I work with I always ask how they are. Invariably they all say "fine". It's so non-committal! I always ask them for another word, threatening to take fine out of the dictionary :lol:

We walk down the corridor finding as many alternatives as we can, but the next week..."fine"!

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my favourite is the rhetorical "how are you today?" favoured by some people who are not seeking a reply with any meaning.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I tend to say 'I'm good'. As I am usually on both counts, I feel it fitting. 'I'm well' is concentrating on your health alone.

Likewise, if you ask someone if they're 'well' and they happen to be a hypochondriac you REALLY wish you hadn't asked that.

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im good just smacks of a child asking for a reward of sweets for being good, when I hear it.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
What is wrong with "I'm well" instead of saying that "I'm good" which sounds more like a judgement on your own behaviour ?
I have to say that I too find this irksome.
+1

Even worse is when this phrase is used in response to an offer of refreshments;

"coffee?"

"I'm good thanks"

"Well that's debatable, but would you like a coffee?" :rant: :rolleyes:

No one's mentioned the "A" word here, or the "F" word, but I'm afraid this is American being spread by facebook etc (the 'spellcheck' just tried to give facebook a capital f (twice!!):tut::rant:)

V

·
0 Posts
We always have the latest buzzwords at work because I work in the Meeja (full of bright young things) and it does my head in too.

If anyone ever says it to me in response to my asking how they are, I always say 'well that's a matter of opinion'.

Because I am a grumpy old git old enough to be their dad, and proud of it! :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
+1

Even worse is when this phrase is used in response to an offer of refreshments;

"coffee?"

"I'm good thanks"

"Well that's debatable, but would you like a coffee?" :rant: :rolleyes:
With apologies to the OP for digressing but

I was in Starbucks yesterday when I saw Vincent van Gogh. I asked him if he would like a coffee and he replied, "No thanks, I've got one 'ere".

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
But then surely "I'm well" sounds like a judgement on your health? :p
err.... yes, usually in response to an enquiry about your health, making it entirely appropriate and not smug or self satisfied or unaware of the difference between 'well' and 'good'.

:confused:

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
Try looking up 'well' and 'good' in a dictionary:)

(not 'well-good' though :lol: )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts