Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I mad??

343bhp, sat nav, SMG, TV, convertible, 19s, looks, toys and buttons on the steering wheel blah blah blah turns me on, whilst potential bills, cost and lifespan of tyres, possible lack of soul and knowing that people will think I'm a total w4nker whilst driving it are the drawbacks! :lol::lol:

And I kind of want to keep the GTV too, but in reality I couldn't keep both. Or maybe keep both for a couple of months then decide which goes?

Jeez, decisions decisions!

As for going for a convertible, the coupe looks better and is faster/stiffer, but if I change from the GTV it has to be quite different as in my eyes the GTV is still one of the best looking cars out there.

Feel free to encourage/discourage me! :cheese:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm going to see an E46 M3 convertible tomorrow too...at least half a dozen i'd imagine like I do every day. I only ever see one GTV and that's mine.

in terms of exclusivity the GTV is streets ahead.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Im driving an E46 3 series at the moment. Along with half the population of england. (im driving it as it was free and I needed the cash from my cup not cuz I wanted a beemer)

The M3 E46 is an real nice car, dont get me wrong, everythings works on it, the build quality is light years ahead of alfa romeo.. But that E46 3 series is pretty much the most commen car you see on the roads. At work I can usually count 5 of them within 20 meters of mine. its completly anounymous... and owning one makes you another one of the mr anonymous's...

I see hundreds of them all the time. They are invisable to me. Whenever I see a GTV though I smile and look twice.

Dont do it Markos. If you want another car. Sell your V6. put aside 2 grand to add to your sale money. Buy a cup!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No positive comments yet I see! :lol:

Never been a huge Cup fan, maybe I'm just not keen on red GTVs, though I do like the Cup interior.

I sort of see the M3 as ticking a box. A bit like Clarkson syaing all petrol heads must have owned an Alfa at some stage, shouldn't all guys who love performance cars own an M3 (E30/36/46) at some point?

The funny thing is I should be putting my V6 up for sale now I'm seeing other cars (am I cheating on my own car?? :lol:) but I just don't want to! My folks have just moved house and now my dad has a single garage instead of a double... if they hadn't moved I'd be eyeing up that spare space in his garage...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to see an E46 M3 convertible tomorrow too...at least half a dozen i'd imagine like I do every day. I only ever see one GTV and that's mine.

Ha ha! No argument from me on that front. I've had my GTV for 5 and half years, so maybe it's time for a new toy? :confused:

·
Vendor
46,435 Posts
Serious driver's car, I spanked one around for two hours a few years back, great fun but I wasn't dissappointed when I got back into my old diesel 156.

For the money, I'd have a V8 M5 anyday, or a Maserati 3200 like EauRouge said.. ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At that kind of money you could have a boomerang Masser 3200;)
I've looked at them and I like them. They're not great looking but they're odd and rare and have prescence. They're very powerful but also dangerous both financially and physically, so yes I see attraction of them. What I don't like is when I asked Adrian at Alfa Aid about them at my last service he said he loved them but a bad service might cost you £10k. Ten ********** grand! :eek: My interest kind of ended there!

·
Registered
683 Posts
You won't regret it. I currently have an E36 M3 and i'm impressed with it. Driven a E46 330ci and that was lovely. I'm sure you won't regret it. It will lack some of the character of the Alfa but there's more to owning a car than character. (otherwise everyone would own 2cv's, mini's and beetles)

·
Registered
471 Posts
This thread was started about the E46 convertible not the E46 saloon/coupe.

I must admit, I have been considering the E46 convertible myself. I need to replace the Spider as I now have two little 'uns, want to keep a convertible, but obviously need one with 4 seats.

The only other convertibles with 4 seats that I can think of are the Saab 9-3 (utterly rubbish Vectra no thanks), A4 (not a patch on the E46 to drive) or Volvo C70 (could n't do it, not a Volvo). If you need a 4 seat convertible then the E46 is probably the best option IMO.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts when you have taken a look Markos.

Can't say I would have any enthusiasm for an E46 saloon/coupe though, there are just too many other options out there.

D

·
0 Posts
not wanting to p### anyone off but it is a seriously quick motor, and the sound is fantastic. it is what the spider v6 should have been, rear wheel drive with bucket loads of power. if you have had your gtv for 5 yrs then maybe its time for a change?

personally i wouldnt buy one as they are as common as mondeo's and imo they look boring with no soul or character.

L

·
0 Posts

AGREED :thumbs:

L

·
0 Posts
This thread was started about the E46 convertible not the E46 saloon/coupe.

I must admit, I have been considering the E46 convertible myself. I need to replace the Spider as I now have two little 'uns, want to keep a convertible, but obviously need one with 4 seats.

The only other convertibles with 4 seats that I can think of are the Saab 9-3 (utterly rubbish Vectra no thanks), A4 (not a patch on the E46 to drive) or Volvo C70 (could n't do it, not a Volvo). If you need a 4 seat convertible then the E46 is probably the best option IMO.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts when you have taken a look Markos.

Can't say I would have any enthusiasm for an E46 saloon/coupe though, there are just too many other options out there.
i would look at the merc cabrio

1 - 20 of 54 Posts