Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come for me to shuffle off my 156.

She's been an absolutely brilliant car. But she's getting to that age (6 years old) that I expect to start hearing things knocking, clonking and rattling - and I can't bear to see her grow old. I just want to remember her in her finest red flashy italian beautifulness. So she's off to an auction house ( I assume as she is being p/x'd).

3 years of unfailing, on the button, trouble free motoring. Hasn't drunk a drop of oil, or indeed done anything at all but blow a sidelight bulb in the whole time.

Goodbye old girl. As of 9am Saturday morning you will be handed over, keys, V5, MOT certs and all and gone from my life forever. :(

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sad to say that she's being replaced by a 2008 BMW 730d.

I can't explain myself - I just got completely carried away with the Leather, wood, TVs, iDrive, heated everything, soft close, sat nav gizmoness of it all. It may boot out 280bhp, but I suspect 80% of that goes on powering the gadgets and 20% goes to the wheels....

The p/x price I got on my 156 probably covered the cost of the windscreen wiper heater upgrade!

My only defence is that I'm now 47 years old so if I can't buy an old mans luxo-barge now then I never will.

(I am serruptitiously contemplating selling my 1972 Beetle tho - and getting an Alfa of some description just to say I still have one).

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep the 730d pre-faclift model is an amazing 2nd hand bargin, considering the spec, economy and performance. £20k will buy you a good spec 'un. Pretty nimble for a barge too. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's exactly 2 years old (a July 2008 car).

The purchase invoice comes with it, and the first owner paid 66,750 quid for it 24 months ago.

I'm buying it with 22k miles on the clock and "as new" condition - for........ 21,000 pounds.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the 730d pre-faclift model is an amazing 2nd hand bargin, considering the spec, economy and performance. £20k will buy you a good spec 'un. Pretty nimble for a barge too. :thumbs:
It's post face-lift, but still an E65 and not an F01 so it's still a bargain.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Wow! good skills. A huge chunk of car for a small chunk of cash :thumbs::cool:

G

·
It seems so. Peasant ::p

:lol:

They are an amazing car, I love them. Good luck with it Fred
I could easily go and lay out that sort of cash on a car tomorrow should I so choose,thanks :p

But Mrs HST is wiser than I in matters of finance ;)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm sad to say that she's being replaced by a 2008 BMW 730d.

I can't explain myself - :(:confused:

(I am serruptitiously contemplating selling my 1972 Beetle tho :wow::wow:- and getting an Alfa of some description just to say I still have one).
I am disappointed.....:(

but wish you all the best with the beemer beast...sure it'll be a lot of fun too (ina clinical, "Vee haf vays" sort of way...:D

don't sell the bug man....'s bad karma

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks 20k is not a 'small chunk' of cash? :confused::eek:
:lol::eek::headbang:

I meant a £60k car, still in warranty, top spec in every way for the same price as newish billy-bob-basic 159.

No, £20k isn't a small chunk, but for that spec vehicle, it really does represent great value. :)

·
Vendor
46,722 Posts
:lol::eek::headbang:

I meant a £60k car, still in warranty, top spec in every way for the same price as newish billy-bob-basic 159.

No, £20k isn't a small chunk, but for that spec vehicle, it really does represent great value. :)
I think I'd rather have a 1992 740 V8 for £1500 and spend £19500 on the extra fuel and repairs :lol:

Still a bargain for what it is though, but horrific depreciation for the original buyer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts