Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most people are aware I am mental and I've been itching with an idea for sometime now.

Tonight with a bit of spare time and bordom I started working on this said idea.

I started designing the rear suspension design to make a GTV (don't think it'd work on a spider) a proper transaxle MR and using existing technology available on our lovely intoweb.

I managed to get a rough suspension geometry layout from a Ferrari F355 and tweak it to fit the rear of the 916 which TBH I had to loose over 100mm track.

I'd have a gearbox from an old 348/355 (costs 2k) and mate it to a 3.0 busso but inline not transverse as I am almost certain it'll fit.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/explosive-alfa/GTVFusion.png

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/explosive-alfa/MRGTV.jpg

BTW this isn't to scale, it's actual size and I think I may be able to get it printed off at work and the dimensions are not displayed on it, they're just scribbles on lots of paper all over my room :lol:

I've found a supplier of 4130 chromoly steel that can supply all the materials to make the wishbones and rear frame, I'd use existing 355 hubs and have the driveshafts shortened by 50mm each side to make for the 100mm difference.

My brain is still ticking and it's burning like a flame :lol: :eek:

Damn I'm sad :eek:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Go for it!! Whats the point in keeping such a beautiful car in it's standard slow and heavy form? Enzo Ferrari himself started out modifying Alfa Romeo's to make them better, I believe...

Now, onto the practical considerations... if you use a V6, your biggest challenge is getting the power to the rear... so I'd concentrate on that. I have no idea how you're going to do it!!

I'd keep the rear suspension standard if at all possible... it's already a double wishbone type design which is rather good. The big pin through the bottom makes it relatively easy for you to design your own wheel upright to fit whatever wishbone and hubs you want. The 100mm track difference can be made up with uber wide tyres

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
You aren't sad but you are mental! :)

Very interesting project. I assume that you would use some of the boot space for the engine? Where would the radiator go? Would it stay up front?

Either way you would have quite a considerable space up front - large boot! Any considerations as to whether the front end would require any weight in it?

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the engine won't be in the boot at all, but where the rear seats are and almost touching the front seats :lol:

Rad would be at the front and since the exhaust tunnel wouldn't be used for well the exhaust I could send 2 lengths of aluminium pipe for that.

It'd have an aluminium fuel cell under the bonnet right up against the firewall to keep the weight distributed within the wheel track and I might even make a nice luggage compartment under there too :lol:

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Ok! Brad i'll chip in a £10 for your experiment, if we get a few others you may well have the ultimate GTV. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
Fantastic - the AO group car purchase starts here!
I will also pledge a tenner but could add more should further funds be required.

Brad, will there be anything, apart from the back of your seat, between you and the engine?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
A lot of people are dreamers, but you Brad may actually take this somewhere and make the first Mid-engined RWD (ex 916) GTV.

Personally if I had the time, skills and budget for it I would start with a 75, add a 24v 3.0 or 3.2 V6 and transplant the body from a GTV onto it. It would need a lot of stiffening, but with careful planning of weight-distribution and carefull suspension setup it could be sublime to drive.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts