Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was supposed to have been picking up a 156 v6 on sunday but due to seller having a few problems i didnt :rant:

but on the bright side a friend had bought a 156 selespeed two weeks ago for 1400 pounds anyway this is the car that made me want an alfa long story short selespeed gearbox had been causing him a few problems which with the help of this forum i have managed to fix for him , leaving him feeling a little down hearted with said car he has just sold it to me for the bargain price of wait for it 700 smackers :lol: i am laughing all the way to the bank Vreg low milage not a scratch on it for only 700 quid yes you guessed it im a very happy bunny

anyway small bit of advice for a new selespeed driver always leave car in gear when you park it if not selespeed ecu spits its dummy out :thumbs:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is that true about the Selespeed ECU?

About your new car - love your work!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that true about the Selespeed ECU?

About your new car - love your work!

from what i can work out yes he was driving the car and keep leaving it in neutral after we read the book for the car it say car must be left in a parking gear i.e 1st or reverse thats what the beeping is if you switch the car off in neutral ,

most people think the bleeping is because the keys are left in the ignition ,

once we reset ecu and started leaving car in gear 1st or reverse the alarm stopped and gearbox is now behaving perfectly so it looks to be true im sure someone on here will be able to explain better than me but just take a look at your book its on a yellow card telling you how to operate your gearbox:D

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
anyway small bit of advice for a new selespeed driver always leave car in gear when you park it if not selespeed ecu spits its dummy out :thumbs:
That's fine until the selespeed pump fails and the car won't start. You then have a car you can't move because it's stuck in gear. (I've been there and had the AA man scratching his head as he wondered how to get the car out from behind the house.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's fine until the selespeed pump fails and the car won't start. You then have a car you can't move because it's stuck in gear. (I've been there and had the AA man scratching his head as he wondered how to get the car out from behind the house.)
goog point but its how it says how to use the gearbox

·
Registered
51 Posts
I see what you mean, I think the manual says that for extra security against the car rolling down hills without driver... not a great look by any means..

The alarm is definately there to remind you to put it in gear.. Though i wonder if that effects the ECU.. ?

You meantioned that you reset the ECU - how did you do that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see what you mean, I think the manual says that for extra security against the car rolling down hills without driver... not a great look by any means..

The alarm is definately there to remind you to put it in gear.. Though i wonder if that effects the ECU.. ?

You meantioned that you reset the ECU - how did you do that?
theres a few post on here but i just dissconected battery for 45mins reconnected and started engine without touching gas peddle let it tick over for 10 mins then switch off and leave for ten mins then start her up take her for a 20 min blast let the ecu relearn all sensors reading etc and your done

when i did this i actualy felt the car improve the acceleration just kept getting better gear changes seemed better all in all a better drive

not saying this will happen with yours

now saying all that i expect someone will come on and say i did it wrong an the improvments i got were imaginary :cheese:

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK cheers, I'll try that - hopefully it might clear some niggles up..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts