Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... at the number of people on here who think that gay means the same as girly.
In these enlightened times I would have thought that we all knew the difference
rather than still carrying such an outdated and eroneous view.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
According to the trust old Oxford.

gay

adjective (gayer, gayest) 1 (especially of a man) homosexual. 2 relating to homosexuals. 3 light-hearted and carefree. 4 brightly coloured; showy.
noun a homosexual person, especially a man.
DERIVATIVES: gayness.
Gay is now a standard term for ‘homosexual’, and is the term preferred by homosexual men to describe themselves. As a result, it is now very difficult to use gay in its earlier meanings ‘carefree’ or ‘bright and showy’ without arousing a sense of double entendre. Gay in its modern sense typically refers to men, lesbian being the standard term for homosexual women.

To describe a homosexual male, there are a lot worse names to be called, than simply gay. But, I do agree with you Gibbo, it has been used out of context recently. I'm sure it's started as a bit of fun initially.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I don't think gay people are offended by the word gay, unless it used in a purposely derogative manner
Only people who say they are straight, but???????

I'm sure in some contexts the inference can be the same as girly.....
As in I wouldn't wear a pink Shirt / Blouse as it would be too girly/gay (in saying that some gays might not either :cheese:)

My missus car (note the emphasis on Missus:lol:) is also a gay girly lilac colour, no staright man wouold buy one, although I do drive it:cheese:

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I'm very happy to wear a pink shirt. I have quite a few. Some say those males who are straight who wear pink are confident in their sexual identity. And, it's only women who say this... Just because it's considered a girly colour, means it is girly ;)

G

·
Ok lets ask the gay community on AO, would any of the Gay men who have seen my thread like to step forward and explain why they found it offensive ? Just the Gay men though as Im interested to know who, and why it offended :confused:

·
Registered
475 Posts
i think the OP was not complaining about offensive, but even so, no offence taken from this (very) small representative of gay AOs!

indeed the only problem i had was not to be invited to the org... sorry test!
the simple remedy is to not read the thread if you find it so 'outdated and eroneous'.
re: the modern world, the terms seem interchangeable.
it's part of the evolution of the language.

iirc the mito even topped one of those gayest cars polls run by a gay organisation.

G

·
i think the OP was not complaining about offensive, but even so, no offence taken from this (very) small representative of gay AOs!

the simple remedy is to not read the thread if you find it so 'outdated and eroneous'.

iirc the mito even topped one of those gayest cars polls run by a gay organisation.
Nice response, yes it was the Mito bashing that actually insired the thread in the first place, and basically just an excuse to inject some humour into the Way of topic lounge, glad it never offended :thumbs:

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ray, this thread was not aimed at you. I'm sorry you couldn't see that when you read my
first post. My observation was that people seem to be unable to separate gay and girly
and that the two terms seem to be used as synonyms on here. Most gay men are not
girly which is why you are not aware they are gay. Many girly men are, in fact, straight.
And, believe it or not, being gay is not related to your choice of car. It is however, directly
related to your choice of sexual partner. I am simply surprised by the clear lack of understanding
of this, shown on the forum by some apparantly highly educated men. Beggars belief really :(

·
Registered
818 Posts
When the term "gay" is used to mean "bad / poor / rubbish / not "manly"?!?!" it is obviously using the word in a negative light and instantly associates "homosexual" with these words too.

Imagine if people went around saying "eurgh I don't like that...it's very black" "this car makes me look Asian" "I don't like the Mito it's Jewish" then it wouldn't make sense and would be very offensive.

Some people still see homophobia as "acceptable" and I've had to report a few threads / posters who don't seem to understand this.

I think this is a GOOD thread and very interesting - it's also being approached in a mature way!:)

·
Registered
13,986 Posts

Gaz, have you seen I've set up a meet in Lyndhurst this month?

Oh, and the rack got it's first use last week. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.