Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been online banking and came across a payment I made for some shims x3....

The shims came and one of them was not what I ordered, so at the time, I phoned the supplier and spoke with the boss - I was a bit narked then, because I was told the following "you got the wrong shim in the post because you ordered the wrong shim - we'll send you another one but don't bother posting the wrong one back, its not worth it" - as opposed to "sorry, we must have made a mistake"

Thought nothing more of this until as just mentioned, looking at online banking I see that the same supplier has charged my card a second time for the replacement shim, plus a few quid for postage. That has annoyed me because firstly, it was a mistake on their part and secondly, they must have kept my card details and then used them again without asking/my consent.

I know its only a few pounds but.... rant over.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
They're not supposed to do that - talk to them and card supplier!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm with you on that one. There are certain Alfa suppliers who expect you to pick up the tab for posting back items they have sent incorrectly. When it is things such as springs they are not cheap to post.

I'm restoring an old Suzuki bike at the moment and was sent an incorrect chain. The supplier, Robinsons Foundry, were apologetic, sent the correct chain out immediately and included reply paid packaging to return the incorrect one. Guess who I am using for other bits I need?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just phone your bank and tell them it was a rogue payment. They should refund it and chase the supplier, most likely they will just let it go.

Just been online banking and came across a payment I made for some shims x3....

The shims came and one of them was not what I ordered, so at the time, I phoned the supplier and spoke with the boss - I was a bit narked then, because I was told the following "you got the wrong shim in the post because you ordered the wrong shim - we'll send you another one but don't bother posting the wrong one back, its not worth it" - as opposed to "sorry, we must have made a mistake"

Thought nothing more of this until as just mentioned, looking at online banking I see that the same supplier has charged my card a second time for the replacement shim, plus a few quid for postage. That has annoyed me because firstly, it was a mistake on their part and secondly, they must have kept my card details and then used them again without asking/my consent.

I know its only a few pounds but.... rant over.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's why I don't buy from them. I had a few similar instances when I first came into Alfa ownership. I don't like their attitude one bit. Changed my allegiance very early on, and I never, ever have that attitude and arrogance from the guys at CA.
They need a lesson in customer relations.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The guys at CA are most helpful.
When replacing the water pump and assocaited parts, they sent the wrong thermostat and admitted such.
Sent me the correct one, refunded the original and simply asked me to send the wrong part back.
Did not charge me for the right one (which more than met the postage costs).

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The guys at CA are most helpful.
When replacing the water pump and assocaited parts, they sent the wrong thermostat and admitted such.
Sent me the correct one, refunded the original and simply asked me to send the wrong part back.
Did not charge me for the right one (which more than met the postage costs).
+1 - CA are very helpful and immediately send you the right stuff if they got it wrong no questions asked, not that they get much wrong in the first place

Could you PM me the supplier you've got the problem with Tom - I think I know but just to make sure I dont buy from them - you always write a review on trust pilot and other review sites

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not intending to rubbish a supplier on the forum,

I've had good service from them in the past too, so this is hopefully a "one-off" blip. Its more the keeping the card details written down somewhere and using them without at least even telling me, that has irritated me.

I tend to buy my bits from a spread of all the suppliers, price dependent when they're all selling the same stuff and quality dependent when they're not.

My preferred parts supplier at the moment though is EB spares - it always seems to be a pleasant experience, so when I get round to needing a pile of bits for the next stages of my resto, I'll probably head there...

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I like EB spares too, they are the guys I used when I got my first Spider in 1997, but always forget about them now when I need something! I think the main reason is that they are good suppliers but their website was not as good as CA or Alfaholics. I have just looked at it though and it is better than I remembered it being.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I like EB spares too, they are the guys I used when I got my first Spider in 1997, but always forget about them now when I need something! I think the main reason is that they are good suppliers but their website was not as good as CA or Alfaholics. I have just looked at it though and it is better than I remembered it being.
when I got my first alfa (62 giulia sprint) in 1977, EB were the only classic alfa spares suppliers about, and back then no internet so a phone call with a long list and then drive the hundred kms from Bournemouth to pick them up. Always got a little discount too over the counter and a nice informative chat how best to do this or that with the car. Sometimes I didn't even have enough money!...ahh, pay us next time Dom, no problem....(try getting that today:()
Fantastic service and such great knowledge back then from Mr. Edgington (the "E") and Mr. Butcher (the "B")

I agree their website has much improved and the U-tube video on removing trailing arm bushes is great. Would be nice if they did more of these.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I used to use EB spares for the Alfa 33 and the 916 spider...some parts I get for the 159.
Have not looked at what they have for my current spider.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Contacted the supplier by the way & was told that all card details stay on their computerised system for up to 12 months & cannot be deleted/removed from system - but can obviously be used to take payments.

Was also told to return the wrongly sent shim in order to get a refund. Having originally been told not to bother (& at same time not told my card was going to be used again...)

I can't be bothered now, as being rural, its a 30 minute round trip to post - but my allegiance has been swayed elsewhere for future orders. Shame, as the staff member I originally dealt with was excellent, friendly & helpful.

It was the unauthorized card use that hacked me off, together with the attitude of business owner. Still, I'm sure they do well enough and wouldn't notice my business anyway.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts