Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully not a dumb question here from an uninitiated ... !

On these button-start Alfas (and probably anything else with same system), anyone know what the equivalence is to the ignition switch position II, and how to access that setting from the keyfob if at all?

Or is that a thing of the past with these systems and the ignition/instruments/engine are either on or off?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Put the key in and ignition comes on, briefly press the start/stop button and stereo etc stays powered and ignition goes off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, guys, that helps, there are still 3 clear stages then (1. off; 2. insert keyfob = dashboard and ancilliaries power up; 3. press start/stop button = engine on).
I was expecting the engine always needed to be on to provide power to the rest, which would not be entirely convenient :rofl:

·
Registered
150 Posts
4 stages.. when you put the key in you get the clocks etc powered, if you then press the start / stop briefly, power to the ignition / clocks is cut but the stereo etc is still powered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, a sort of dogleg stage at (3) then, you might say (3a?) (as you can't continue with ignition off to press to get the engine on) and the key needs to be re-inserted, I assume.

Good to know all this thoroughly though, and so get the most out of the system.

·
Registered
215 Posts
3 simple stages:
1. Off
2. Ignition
3. Starter

You can toggle ignition on and off by pressing the start button without clutch/brake pressed. You can toggle the starter by pushing the start button with the clutch/brake pressed.

To start, with brake on you need to keep it pressed until it runs to keep it turning over, with clutch on you can press it once and it will keep cranking until it runs or you release the clutch (or maybe a limited amount but mine starts right away so I wouldn't know)

You can power on the stereo by pressing the power button on the stereo, given the car is not "sleeping" (e.g. you've unlocked it recently or had the ignition on recently) I don't know the timers but I suspect something like 15 minutes. Blue&me is switched with the ignition and will not work when ignition is off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems they've thought of everything - much more to this than meets the eye, for sure.

Very informative post this is becoming, for the likes of me at least, not having been used with even a 21st century car let alone Alfa up until buying the Alfa 4 months back :shocked:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi

Isn't there yet another 'state' of the system in that after a programmable time the radio (if on by itself) will also be turned off? (Battery saving?)

This question needs a state transition diagram for clarity!!

Cheers
James

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi

Isn't there yet another 'state' of the system in that after a programmable time the radio (if on by itself) will also be turned off? (Battery saving?)

This question needs a state transition diagram for clarity!!

Cheers
James
Oh there are tons.
most of them you can find in the car manual.

- Page 71 The follow me home feature works only within 2 minutes of turning off the ignition (it can be turned on for 30s to 210s depending how often you pull the stalk)
- Page 20 The in car system with the key in the ignition turns of after 60 minutes with the car not running to save the battery
- Page 304 The radio turns off after 20 minutes (when turned on with the ignition off)
- page 151 describes how the starter button works when pressing the clutch or brake (different behaviour)

I'm not going to list everything but I would recommend getting a digital PDF version you can search through if you're interested.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah, indeed so, Jamesinnewcastle, and I even have the manual!

Of course, RTFM, I hear you all say, but it's far more satisfying to glean the same info through the forum ...:party::party:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hah, indeed so, Jamesinnewcastle, and I even have the manual!

Of course, RTFM, I hear you all say, but it's far more satisfying to glean the same info through the forum ...:party::party:
Get the searchable PDF I linked, it gives me the cruel satisfaction to slam all the topics with RTFM replies referring to the actual page. :judge:

Most of the time I feel: Well, that should be in the manual shouldn't it?
Then I read the manual I find out loads of new stuf I didn't even know myself, like the 20 minutes for the radio or the follow me home stalk flicking time extension thing I learnt from this topic :cheeky:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts