Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a strange problem with my ignition barrel on my Alfa Romeo 156. I'm not a native english speaker so I have not been able to search for anyone else having this problem so I'm starting this thread instead.

The problem I have is that when I turn my key to start the engine the key does not flip back to the "middle position" on its own. It only flips back partially so I have to manually turn the key to the correct position. If I do not do this then the headlights, cigarette lighter and repeaters does not work at all. Although most other stuff works fine so you can drive the car without problem. Took a while to realise why the repeaters had stopped working :)

I can clearly feel when the key finds the correct position in the barrel. I also have this problem when I dont start the engine aswell and just turns the key to what I believe is called the MAR position?

Although I'm not that afraid to take stuff apart I need the car for christmas so I wondered if anyone else has this problem and found a solution to it? It works just fine but at the next car inspection they will probably be not very impressed :)

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Try a very light oiling .. something like 3-in-1 or dare I mention it WD40 ... lightly oil the key and insert it and leave it for a few seconds. Then turn it on and off a few times to see if it is just a bit dry otherwise it sounds like the barrel/ignition switch.

Has it just started to do this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would go for pencil lead on key, rub it on key cut lands , see if that loosens the action, fluff n oil can cause issues later on,,,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been doing this for about a month now, it started quite sudden. It did not come over time. I have tried oiling it up a bit two times with a lock oil but no difference at all, although the key slides in very gracefully now. Will probably have to do it the hard way and dissassemble the piece and check if there is a spring or something that has given up. I have three keys to the car and changing between them gives no difference either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts