Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,i have a problem with the ignition coil on a Toyota mr2 (wifes car!)with the engine running, the sparks are jumping from positive and negative terminals to the centre. I have tried a second coil and this is the same. new leads fitted. any ideas?
craig.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
On older cars this is can due to dampness, cracks or a bad earth for the coil. A you have tried another coil in this case, it may be a bad earth for the engine itself. Try adding a good earth for the engine using a jump lead from a cleaned up stud on some engine metalwork somewhere to the battery earth point.
Thats a nice simple test and costs nothing.
After that it gets worse as the problem is probably at or after the spark distribution point (I don`t know if MR2s have mechanical or electronic distribution). Try removing the end of the main HT lead to to the distribution point and letting it arc to a safe place on the main engine block - leave a small 2mm gap from exposed metal to metal. Hold or lodge the cable with rubber handled pliers or you will get a nasty shock! Don`t let the engine turn over for too long as this isn`t the best thing for a coils health. If all is well you should get a good spark with no arcing on the coil as the engine is turned over.
If you have a mechanical distributer, check the points are not broken open.
After that I`ll leave you to the experts!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts