Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. I'm putting in a new lightweight fan and alloy rad and the fan kit control module needs a power source which goes on with the ignition and one that goes on when the air con starts (air con clutch)

Any ideas on the best place to tap into these?

·
Vendor
45,461 Posts
I'd be tempted to tap into the fusebox for a power source which is ignition switched rather than anything in the engine bay (such as fuel pump relay power supply). But why do you need a fan control module, why not continue to let the ECU control the fan as before?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you looking to control the fan manually as well? e.g. fans run after engine switched off for those hot Brissie days.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be tempted to tap into the fusebox for a power source which is ignition switched rather than anything in the engine bay (such as fuel pump relay power supply). But why do you need a fan control module, why not continue to let the ECU control the fan as before?
No idea :rofl: Haven't done wiring before and that's how the kit I bought works, it has its'own temp sensor. How would I let the ECU control the fan? The GTA has those big resistors on the fan shroud, I don't know how they fit into the picture. Do I just cut off one of the existing fan power connectors and splice on the new fan?

·
Vendor
45,461 Posts
No idea :rofl: Haven't done wiring before and that's how the kit I bought works, it has its'own temp sensor. How would I let the ECU control the fan? The GTA has those big resistors on the fan shroud, I don't know how they fit into the picture. Do I just cut off one of the existing fan power connectors and splice on the new fan?
When I wired a lightweight fan into my track 156 GTA I kept the resistors, I just made sure they were tied up securely with some cable ties. Then I used the power supply to one of the original fans as the supply to the new fan. So the new fan is turned on & off by the ECU in the same way as the original fan was.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I wired a lightweight fan into my track 156 GTA I kept the resistors, I just made sure they were tied up securely with some cable ties. Then I used the power supply to one of the original fans as the supply to the new fan. So the new fan is turned on & off by the ECU in the same way as the original fan was.
That sounds a lot easier than all the wiring I have to do with this kit, I think I'll go with that plan :party:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Im just in the process of mounting a mishimoto slimline 16" fan within a twinspark plastic shroud to my V6, this weighs around 2.6kg compared to around 6kg for standard twin fan and metal shroud setup and it covers more area of the radiator than the twin fans. However wiring it up is an afterthought, I was planning on using an original fan/resister loom but with a TS 30 ohm resister for the slow speed air con, then leaving the spare resister and fan wire tied up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts