Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

One my silver GTV6 I have a few issues with going around corners. At mildly high speeds as in 50mph plus as the car corners it seems to float and I have to keep correcting the steering. It gets worse at higher speeds. The steering rack is lighter than my old GTV6 which is weird, but I have had it checked. I have new track rods, some new front bushes and it all seems solid. I have also had it 4 wheel aligned and the caster is set to +3 degrees and toe total -0 degrees 04'. One a motorway at 70 (ish) mph it also seems to float and I have to keep a good grip on the wheel. Me thinks it is a set up issue.

Also to add more info. I do have the car lowered, with what I think are eibach springs (lowers 25-30mm) on the rear and bilstein b4 shocks. I know the bushes on the watts linkage are old (I have new ones to fit) but I don't think that is the issue. The caster bars have the polybushes.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Hi,

Can you give us a bit more info re the float, under or oversteer, body roll or loosing traction?

How are the tyres?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
My first thought would be tyre pressures.

After that it is difficult to know unless you personally drive the car. It can be front or rear and while there aren't that many components diagnosis without inspection and driving is hard.

It could be:-
Tyre pressures.
Very old tyres gone hard.
Bushes (front or rear.)
Knackered shocks.
Wheel bearing.
Something bent.
Alignment equipment that hasn't been set up or used correctly. Was it a full 4 wheel alignment and do you have the print outs. Even with 4 wheel a poor operator can still mess up the alignment.
Body alignment (do you know there is no previous accident damage.)
Wrong tyre size for wheel size. I have seen many tyres that are just inside the width spec for the rim but at extreme limits handling and feel isn't great. Do that in combination with a lowered car and excess camber caused by that and you have a frequently caused poor handling car.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Was it floaty before you had it lowered?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Morning all,

Thanks for the replies. To go in order... Tyre wish I have 4 new (less than a year) old tyres, they are not the most expensive brand at all but they do give good grip with God tread pattern. The pressures I hand checked recently as the cars needed a lot of work but I will do that. Not sure if it's understeer or oversteer, it just 'twitches' so you have to hang on for grim death in a long corner! On a straight piece of motorway she will feel like she wants tonwander a bit too but doesn't.

Wheel bearings seem OK, rear watts bushes do need doing but they are not destroyed. Shocks are 3 year old gas ones so better than factor. The rest should be ok too. The car was 4 wheel aligned and I do have the print out which is attached.

I didn't lower the car, it was done in the cars past. I know though that I have less confidence in this gtv6 than my old sadly dead grey one. Reason I wondered if it was a steering alignment issue is the steering steers much easier than my old car, the racks would be much the same. I think my steering damper could be knackered too but I know you can't get replacements.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about older GTVs, but on the performance Pug 306s and other cars with sensitive suspension, the quality of tyre makes a huge difference. One of mine squirmed under cornering quite alarmingly until I replaced the £60 Kwik-fit specials with Hancook Ventus V12s (not the best I know, but a lot better), and in the year since then it's cornered like it's been on rails.

Do you know anyone you can do a quick wheel swap with just to eliminate wheel / tyre issues as the cause of the problem? And just to show my total lack of knowledge, are there any anti-roll bar bushes which are likely to wear out, like on the later GTV?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know absolutely nothing about older GTVs, but on the performance Pug 306s and other cars with sensitive suspension, the quality of tyre makes a huge difference. One of mine squirmed under cornering quite alarmingly until I replaced the £60 Kwik-fit specials with Hancook Ventus V12s (not the best I know, but a lot better), and in the year since then it's cornered like it's been on rails.

Do you know anyone you can do a quick wheel swap with just to eliminate wheel / tyre issues as the cause of the problem? And just to show my total lack of knowledge, are there any anti-roll bar bushes which are likely to wear out, like on the later GTV?
Hi mate,

I know what you mean about tyres I have had Michilins before on my old 156 and I hated them as they had no grip as the compound was way to hard, but that did mean they would last forever. The tyres I have are budget but they have an excellent rating as in as good as a goodyear/bridgestone etc. As the squirming is evident at high speed in a straight line as well as going around corners it could well be the tyres. However I have a feeling it might well me the steering, as in the car is being pulled about, plus in a corner I just a lack of feel for where I am. This could be the watts linkage which controls body roll like an anti roll bar, but I doubt it as that would not have such an affect in a straight line. I think I will have a look at the steering wheel damper first. Then move on to the alignment. Only after i have checked the pressures first!

Peter

·
Registered
782 Posts
I realise that you didn't lower the car but you only mention the back. I assume the front was also lowered by re-setting the torsion bars? I can't tell from the picture - you could do a quick check by measuring ground to the underside of the jacking points front and rear. Basically the rear should be a bit higher than the front. A high front end can give rise to "vague" steering.

On that point, is your problem vague steering or is the car actually loosing adhesion in corners? I'm not clear if you have excessive steering input when the car is going in a straight line - as said before there are numerous issues that could cause this. On the caster, have you looked at where the the shock goes through the front suspension top arm? To maximise positive camber and so improve steering feel I would expect the top arm to be pushed right back so the shocker will be almost touching the front of the top arm hole. Worth a look just to check.

If you are getting sudden unsettling of the car in corners something could be broken / worn. Worth checking the front anti roll bar anchorages - especially if you have an up-rated AR bar.

Regarding the steering damper, I took that of mine a while ago (the CSC downpipes won't fit if you don't) and it didn't seem to make any difference. I checked this with Alex Jupe and he was surprised the damper was still on the car - his advice was to throw the damper away!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not being funny but...

Please name the tyres.

It's easier and quicker to name them than typing "budget but they have an excellent rating as in as good as a goodyear/bridgestone etc.".

That sounds like the sort of thing a tyre shop tells you when they sell you Wun Hung Lo Ditchfinders at £25 a corner.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Wun Hung Lo Ditchfinders .... what's wrong with them, been using them for years........:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts