Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you thought Alfa's depreciated you would be right, however they are not the only ones.

I saw a car at a local dealer this morning that half tickled my fancy, so I asked them how much they would offer me for my well above average condition, low mileage for year BMW 528i as a PX.

£400-500 was the answer I got.

I wasn't expecting a massive amount, with it being an older car, but that is extracting the urine.

I have seen worse ones sell on ebay for £1000, so what I will have to do is buy another car outright, then sell mine on there.

Either that or I will just keep it for a while, as there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Part-ex will always give you a lousy price....if the trader decides to market your old car himself, he has to provide at least basic "Sale of Goods Act" warranty cover.....on a £1000 car that's a big liability he could be giving himself.....if he sends it to auction, it'll fetch buttons.....the market for relatively big-engined old cars is not exactly buoyant....

A trader is there to make a living for himself......in reality he doesn't want your car, so offers the least amount he decently can. I often had customers asking me to give them a bid on their car - and I'd often decline, saying I didn't want to insult them.........sometimes they'd push, saying "you can't insult me...." - then found out they were wrong when I made what was to me the sensible offer....:lol:

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I think when the time comes it will go on ebay.

I have been deliberately watching cars that were worse than mine to see what sort of price they fetch, and judging my that I should get £1000 pretty easily.

I would be reasonably happy to sell for that, I have had it 12 months and it hasn't really cost me anything to run other than some brake pads and some oil, so it would still work out as pretty cheap, comfy motoring.

Plus as you as say demand for older big cars isn't all that great.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Same with my old Rover 25. 03 model with A/C & leather, I reckon it was worth £700. Without boring you all with the hassle on Gumtree etc. I p/x'd it against the Spider and basically got £350. So much easier and as I kept in touch with the trader know he ended up sending the Rover off to Ireland to sell it. Maybe the similar cars I saw were not really worth £700.

What they are advertised for and what they get (the latter you never know) are quite often very different in today's climate.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You pays your money you takes your choice.

I part-ex'ed my 166 against my current car. I knew before I started the conversation he would only offer me a grand - which he did - but I also knew to sell that car I would have had to put two new tyres on it, timing belt and bits, service, fix the wheel bearing and tidy up the scuffs and wheel rim scrapes. Altogether it might have been £2k to get it into a saleable state.

I also knew I'd be very lucky indeed to have got £3k for it at my door so part-ex with derisory value made sense.

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thats the thing though, if a car is coming up to needing a big spend, taking less as a PX is going to be cheaper.

The only things my BMW needs soon is the front brake pads changing (I have bought a set already) and the Aux belts are looking a bit perished.

If I change both the rollers, thermostat and waterpump whilst I do the belts I am still looking at only £120 all in for the bits and my labour is free.

The tyres will need to be changed again in about 12 months as they are around half worn.

I have decided to do the brakes and belts and keep it a while longer. It has been a cheap car to run so far, one of the cheapest I have owned in fact.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Part ex prices are always bad anyway (as someone else has said) but I was astounded how much My BMW lost after just a year!

I was looking at Maxda RX8s...crazy how they depreciate.

Poor MPG put me off buying one (apart from me wanting another Alfa more).

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RX8's are cheap, a guy at work just bought one.

I would worry about it going wrong, and they are not all that fast either.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
A lot of the data available to potential car buyers always refers to depreciation as % after 3 years (usually). However what has to be considered is the £ value of that depreciation, how much it will hurt your pocket, you wont find any data for that because it depends so much on the spec of the car and any discounts you can negotiate when you buy (stick with me, this has a purpose).

I did the sums before I bought my 159. I looked (out of curiosity honest) at a BMW 3 series. To get the same spec BMW as my 159 Lusso I would have had to have spent £1000's more. OK the BMW, it is claimed, has a much lower % depreciation than any Alfa Romeo could ever hope to have, but the actual loss of cash was much much higher.

Oh yes % figures look good, but its the cash in the bank that counts, not to mention with an Alfa Romeo you finish up driving one of the prettiest cars on the road.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
WBAC.COM wanted me to give them £50 (Admin' fee) to buy my car off me for nothing.. :D

Ralf S.
Yep the Rover I mentioned above, they offered me £50, so after the admin fee was £49.99 they were at least giving me £0.01 :lol:

·
Registered
37,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WBAC offered me £400

That means it's true value is about £1200, as I have found that they usually offer about a third of what it is worth.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
WBAC offered me £400

That means it's true value is about £1200, as I have found that they usually offer about a third of what it is worth.
They offered me more than a third for one of mine. It was more like 50-60%. I know one or two folk offered a fair bit more than P/X. Think it really depends on the the car.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Newish, good condition mainstream models which are easy to sell tend to get a decent bid from WBAC. Anything that would hang about on a forecourt will get a low bid. Perfectly reasonable really.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts