Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
More shocking (every search throws up some 'you're not our type' high results. I've had 20k quotes at the bottom of the list) is that he was expecting 3-4k to be the cheapest :eek:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Just did a quote for me on a 145 1.8 with my 17 year old daughter as a named driver.

Prices varied between £4028 and £10277, the highest was the AA. :wow:

She is currently facing the prospect of being able to afford a car but with no hope of ever affording the insurance.

Even on a Fiat with a 900cc engine the cheapest was £1100.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just did a quote for me on a 145 1.8 with my 17 year old daughter as a named driver.

Prices varied between £4028 and £10277, the highest was the AA. :wow:

She is currently facing the prospect of being able to afford a car but with no hope of ever affording the insurance.

Even on a Fiat with a 900cc engine the cheapest was £1100.
Get your daughter to take out her own insurance and then put yourself on as a named driver on hers

This will bring it down loads without the risk to your insurance :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Get your daughter to take out her own insurance and then put yourself on as a named driver on hers

Cheers, will look into that. :thumbs:

Update: Fiat CINQUECENTO 900cc, without me £1400 - with me £1000 - + my wife £890 :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Cheers, will look into that. :thumbs:

Update: Fiat CINQUECENTO 900cc, without me £1400 - with me £1000 - + my wife £890 :)
Well thats a bit more like it!

·
Registered
112 Posts

More importantly, if your daughter is going to be the main driver of the vehicle it is vital the insurance is in her name. Insurers are really cracking down on young drivers who are 'named' on their 'parents policy' and in many cases will refuse to pay claims. As you know, if an insurer thinks they can get out of paying a claim they will do (I know I am one - although not car insurance I hasten to add).

It also has the advantage that she starts racking up her own no claims discount...

Cheers

Danny B

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Well thats a bit more like it!
All she has to do now is pass her test, save some money and buy a car.

I get a feeling the middle bit will be the sticking point, it would appear that despite being able to loose her bedroom floor under clothes she "needs a new top/skirt/shoes etc" every time she passes a shop :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should get a quote on the 166. :cheese:

Best price on the 166 £3,213 :lol:, not that she will ever be allowed to drive it. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found that the more people who were low-risk the better. They work on the theory that with the others on the insurance, the high-risk won't be using the car as much. Add as many mature family members with clean licenses and find the sweet-spot, when I was 17 I had my Mum, Dad, Sister and Nan on it.

Also play around with small changes - using Confused.com I found saying I parked it in the street rather than in a garage REDUCED the insurance by around £50. It's amazing how much can be knocked off by making tiny adjustments which wouldn't void the policy.

Some companies also allow you to take a 10-month policy out, yet treat it as 1 year as far as no claims bonuses go if you stay with them. This is also a good idea if the middle of the policy falls on your daughter's 18th / 21st birthday, and they made quite considerable drops at those ages.

M

·
0 Posts
be wary of the 10 month ones as often the NCB you gain is only valid with that company.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
makes you wonder why so many people drive around uninsured, making it worse for the legal among us :doh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts