If you think it’s bad at 1.04, wait until you see the steering wheel at 1.59:

·
Registered
17,001 Posts
It does look a tad flimsy.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Looks like battery problems were common. We had a Regata as a company pool car. A colleague & I took it down to Birmingham for a week-long course*. Come Friday afternoon we were out early enough to beat the rush hour traffic, or so we thought - the Regata had other ideas; dead as a dodo!

*thereby saving several others from being lumbered with it!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Believe it or not the Strada is in some ways an important car - particularly it's manufacturing process, which was largely automated. As a child in the 1980's I remember seeing the adverts: "Handbuilt by Robots".

Late in 1990 my uncle bought a '79 Strada 75cl as a runabout to tide him over for a couple of months. Two years later it was still going, and I remember one particular rainy night we were 5-up, bouncing along a country road, ventilation system failing to keep the windows clear, and all singing along to Right Said Fred "I'm too sexy" on the radio... That car is now a Family Legend.

·
Registered
17,001 Posts
I note he picked up on the plastic dash. In the 80s, pretty much everything had a moulded plastic dash. Older stuff needed a padded dash because the actual dash was metal and part of the structure.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Didn’t the insufferable twerp* Noel Edmonds absolutely destroy the Strada on old Top Gear?
*opinion not derived from car shows!

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
19,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe it or not the Strada is in some ways an important car - particularly it's manufacturing process, which was largely automated.
You’re right. It may not have been a market leader as a car - it was about class average at launch, which is never good - but it was important in terms of styling, how it was built and also (exciting one, this) for pioneering new techniques for moulding plastics (hence the massive bumpers).

Like most 70s cars, rot and unreliability got it and that, combined with avant-garde looks that dated very quickly, meant it - bar the Abarth - ended up becoming a bit of a laughing stock. Shame really.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Believe it or not the Strada is in some ways an important car - particularly it's manufacturing process, which was largely automated. As a child in the 1980's I remember seeing the adverts: "Handbuilt by Robots".
Which "Not the 9'o'clock News" parodied rather well:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts