Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....don't bother with the update.

It's over fussy, fiddly to use, slow, and there is too much going on in many of the screens.

The daily weather radar for the UK has also been replaced, and now rather than being able to 'watch' what weather is crossing the country, you have to repeatedly press on separate time icons.

Basically they have turned a great app into a hard to use one.

I'll be sticking with Acu weather on my phone from now on.

I do appreciate that there are probably only a few of us who take a general interest in weather patterns etc BTW :lol:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Tend to agree, though I will see if the new style app grows on me at all.

V p*ssed off that the various saved locations I had in the old version did not appear in the new :tut:

I like the WeatherPro app (iPhone & iPad variants)....easy to use, and on the whole pretty accurate too (& it looks forward a full week) :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tend to agree, though I will see if the new style app grows on me at all.

V p*ssed off that the various saved locations I had in the old version did not appear in the new :tut:

I like the WeatherPro app (iPhone & iPad variants)....easy to use, and on the whole pretty accurate too (& it looks forward a full week) :thumbs:
I'll check out WeatherPro :thumbs:

I'm trying to learn more about the weather....pressure charts etc. The MetOffice site is quite in depth and a good learning aid if you want to expand your knowledge of the weather.

I'm trying to set aside a bit of time each evening to learn more about it.....sort of a self taught study agenda :D

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Just look out of the iWindow :thumbs: :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you actually dodge the update on a fruity-phone??
AFAIK you constantly have a numerical symbol on the App Store icon if you don't load the update. So, whilst you don't 'have' to update, if you like a 'clean' screen as I do, your only choice is to carry out the update.

I stand to be corrected though.....maybe you can go through iTunes and sort it that way??

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
You might like to look at AeroWeather. I like it. It picks up the weather feeds from airports. It's not very "graphic" (no weather maps or charts), but gives temp, pressure, humidity, dewpoint,visibility, wind, cloud base (on occasion runway conditions!) humidity, and a look ahead for the next 24-36hrs, etc. There's a huge range of location to set up as favourites - I've got places like Heathrow (I live about 3 miles away as the jet flies) to a couple of the safari kick-off locations in Botswana.

And it's a free app :cool: (There is a pay version that does have weather radar for the US.)

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Is it me, or are a lot of general updates these days more hassle than they used to be?

A lot seem like a step backwards :confused:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might like to look at AeroWeather. I like it. It picks up the weather feeds from airports. It's not very "graphic" (no weather maps or charts), but gives temp, pressure, humidity, dewpoint,visibility, wind, cloud base (on occasion runway conditions!) humidity, and a look ahead for the next 24-36hrs, etc. There's a huge range of location to set up as favourites - I've got places like Heathrow (I live about 3 miles away as the jet flies) to a couple of the safari kick-off locations in Botswana.

And it's a free app :cool: (There is a pay version that does have weather radar for the US.)
I'll check that also, cheers :thumbs:

Is it me, or are a lot of general updates these days more hassle than they used to be?

A lot seem like a step backwards :confused:
Change for changes sake mate.....I totally agree, some so called progression actually takes us backwards......I witnessed plenty of that regards new car technology on a new car dealer launch yesterday.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I haven't found many a step backwards, but I struggle to see what many of them do.... A lot say they remove bugs, but the bugs they describe I've never experienced so it's hard to judge.

I've a few apps which seem to have been left to die - I had a wifi detector, for example, which has just stopped since I moved to IOS5 which is a bit disappointing.

·
Administrator
45,540 Posts
Just downloaded it minutes before your warning. I'll give it a go though.
The standard weather app has improved a lot recently, displaying hourly rather than just daily info. Not the level of detail you're clearly after though.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
:lol: Hang on, I'll be back to make a sensible comment in a bit :lol:

Don't mind me!

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Oh sorry :lol: I posted something stupid and had to change it quick, before you lot noticed!

I've got the Met Office app on the iPhone - if it has taken a dive, thats a shame because it was good before. On the iPad I use Weather+.

To be honest here the weather is too localised for a lot of these apps. It can be raining at the other end of the village.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts