Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i spoke bout this before. If the 75 of my dads is rotten and rusty.

How do i go about repairing it. I mean it is rusty around the jacking points but what do u do. Do you put new plates in. literly cut them out put new ones in. I can weld buts it not somthing i would do myself. Its a vital point of the car, it needs to be properly.

If worse comes to worse. what should i do.

Does anybody no off any gd welders. restorers out there that can undergo this sort off work.

Cheers all for reading

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I can't weld myself and I am not especially qualified to say but....

It isn't all that clear how wide the rust is around the jacking points. I suggest you start prodding and cleaning back to the metal in a widening circle around the area until you meet solid metal. You can't weld a repair back onto weak metal. Once you've done that you will need to either fabricate some suitable shaped plates or buy appropriate panels if they are available.

Good luck with it. I know the frustration from just trying to figure out what should go back where on my 105.:cry:

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
You need to cut all of the rusty metal away right back to solid metal and weld new metal in. My brother has restored a few cars and this is the only correct way to do it. That it apart from a new shell. :)

W

·
0 Posts
As above, to weld you have to have good metal...and there's no point keeping rust as it will spread!

New parts should be available, especially jacking points as they are a common failure point.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I agree with what everyone's said.
Welding is all in the preparation. Welding onto clean, full thickness metal is easy as long as you get rid of any gaps and leave a bit of overlap.
1 don't really like the idea of replacing whole panels for 2 reasons.

1. The manufacturer's anti-corrosion treatment will be better than your tin of Hammerite leave what you can alone.
2. Alfa panels will be expensive
3. You will never reach the end of the rainbow. The job just spreads until it ends up on eBay as "Unfinished Project, spares or repair".

Sorry, that's 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts