Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well that's the shed booked over winter to get the suspension rebuilt. at least I can do it slowly at my own pace.

If I'm rebuilding the suspension what bits Are likely to need replacing?

I'm thinking of Koni shocks all round

Koni Sport Front Dampers for your alfa romeo 166

Koni Sport Front Dampers for your alfa romeo 166

Eibach springs

Secure UK tuning store Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati

I've heard that the rear suspension bushes can be worn. I don't know anything about that.

What are the other bits That I'm likely to find worn that I should replace while I have the space and time? Notice I didn't say money! :D

Links to cheap bits is always apprechated!

Thanks

Stuart

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
rear bushes and the merc bearing are probably best put on the list - front wishones etc are also worth checking....

good luck though - i wish i had a shed and was brave enough to have a go :D

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
IF IF IF

A wee word with a BIG meaning Just ask Telly Salvalas....Oh no way of topic agin with telly and gin.:cheese:

If a picture PAINTS 1000 word then why :cheese: cant I....

How did the oil saga work out.......If you think that was hard check out the leap frog spring thread.

Ive been doing Laceys rear sus since I got her...Got all the parts just need good weather.
Still not done pomeos spring as daughters car washing machine etc were bigger priorities....2 springs dead easy different problems each time though...the third well need a spell of good weather and do the aircon fan as well,thats waited 2 years,oh well there is always manyana.

Apparently the rear sus is a swine.

bON CHANCE

pOMEO

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is something on my todo list.

I'll be changing:
Front and rear Shocks
Both upper and lower front wishbones
Front ARB bushes and links
Rear lower arm bearing
Rear droplinks

I want to replace the rear bushes but won't touch powerflex with a bargepole. Will have to take a look when I get everything stripped.

Might also do the shock topmounts.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I left the screen of my computer on the springs at £150 My wife saw it and went ballistic. She said I can't spend £150 on the car and that I've spent too much on it already. (not having a clue about the rest of the bits)

I'm *@#~ed

Black-cat isn't that list going to be over a grand?

I'm *@#~ed

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Well I left the screen of my computer on the springs at £150 My wife saw it and went ballistic. She said I can't spend £150 on the car and that I've spent too much on it already. (not having a clue about the rest of the bits)

I'm *@#~ed

Black-cat isn't that list going to be over a grand?

I'm *@#~ed

Cheers Stuart
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: thatll fing teach you:cheese:

im glad mine is pc illiterate.

Just tell its either that or 15K for a new motor..she will soon see it from your point of view.

So as the irishman says to braveheart "Will ye answer the fing question old man"Or something like that.

How did you get on with your oil filter?

Ps I think they are looking for you Stu on the ics code thread 2006 model.

Pomeo

·
Registered
147 Posts
interesting perspective, why not blackcat?
I've seen quite a few prematurely worn and/or split powerflex bushes. IMO the bushes I've seen from them are FAR too hard. Admittedly some of the applications I've seen them fail in are not 'normal' road use but they failed far sooner than rubber bushes. I just don't like them.

And yes, its gonna cost a bit to replace everything but the car is on its original shocks after 90k!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Oi oi!!! Did somebody mention Irishman!!! :tut:
It was a film MadMike a film....everone knows that leprechauns like irismen dont exist.:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Anyway an irishman is just a lost scotsman separated by a stretch of cold water.:p or is it vice versa

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Anybody heard of KYB? They are half the price of others on the market.
Nope never heard of them.:p

I have used kayaba ones.

I thought that academics had sponges for brains no sieves:cheese:

So check out

Coil springs on

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/132202-coil-spring.html

and KYB, World Class Shock Absorbers - Fitted as original equipment to 23% of all new cars

The daughters has kayaba front shockies and well if you read the post above you'll know the rest.

In fact IIRC I replaced the replaced original shocky which fiat had replaced under warranty 2 years ago...When doing her clutch I saw the real original shocky was leaking and I still had the other one of the set in the hut and so it was replaced at the same time as the clutch....It worked out good coz it was the nearside shocky which was leaking...The o/s has been replaced twice as above.Once by Fiat and second by me 2 years ago.

I reckon after speaking with chic at EK why the lesjofer didn't have the plastic coating like the originals...He cuts them of and uses a wee bit coppaslip instead (He never cut this one off that was the way it came.)..I reckon this is a top tip as this is where they always seem to go.

Pomeo(I reckon KYB are fine.:thumbs: )BUT living and learning all the time even at my age.

·
Registered
147 Posts
KYB are supposed to be very good quality for the money and probably my shock of choice. Certainly on the Fiat Bravo they work well. However much I'd like Bilsteins (ran them on the Bravo a few years back), a set for the 166 is serious money.

KYB/Kayaba also make springs, they are listed for all 166 models though. I thought the Supers were slightly lower than the base model.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Stuart, I have a full set of nearly new (less than 1,000 miles) Koni shocks and Eibach springs anlong with a load of other trick 166 stuff I can do you a good deal on

Ned
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Its stu we are talking about here Ned.
He's from Aberdeen ye ken.

It'll need to be a really awesome brilliant deal not just good:D

Pomeo

PS Then he'll ask you to come and fit them (For free of course not a fee.)

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Its stu we are talking about here Ned.
He's from Aberdeen ye ken.

It'll need to be a really awesome brilliant deal not just good:D

Pomeo

PS Then he'll ask you to come and fit them (For free of course not a fee.)
We can send them to Aberdeen, we don’t have an anti Scottish policy, I know they can be a bit careful with their money;)

Ned

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
We can send them to Aberdeen, we don’t have an anti Scottish policy, I know they can be a bit careful with their money;)

Ned
Did you know his wife is chinese and may know Gauss:lol: :cheese: :cheese:
So youll need to use DHL Express not the slow boat to China:cheese:
Pomeo

What is the trick 166 stuff?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts