Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Alfisti,
I was wondering whether it is possible to adjust the idle speed of my car. It idles at about 1100 rpm. It is a ts 16 2l, 1996.
If so , where?

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris. Could be the Lambda playing up again. The injection light did come on for a couple of seconds the other day, but no driveability problems yet. What disturbs me is that this Lambda sensor is about 14 months and 13000 km old, plus it is the uprated one.

What I also noticed is that the revs fall slowly to idle speed after decelerating.
There are no air leaks, my mechanics checked that when they replaced the EGR valve last week.

I assume idle speed is not adjustable on this model?

Thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
What is the ideal tick-over on a 155 ? I presume they're different by model.

Mine seems to tic-over at between 800 & 900 rpm. Seems a tiny bit high, maybe 100rpm too high.

Anyone else ? Gimme numbers here people :)

and what the hell is a Lambda sensor and what does it do ?

Is it the same as the one's on the Ovlov's :)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
In which case it must be running too rich and the lambda is correcting it(?).
Temp sensor maybe?
If you adjust the idle (if its possible) then the revs will be too low after decellerating.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think usual tickover is about 850rpm.

Might be worth checking the accelerator cable end cam, there is some adjustment for pedal position and possibly idle. Perhaps the pedal/cable is sticking???

The Lambda (oxygen) sensor does the same job on all modern cars. It checks the emissions quality and tells the ECU to enrich or lean the mixture. If it fails you get all sorts of running problems. Never experienced just a high tickover, it is usually erratic. Temp sensor is a possibility as it seems to produce a variety of errors when faulty.

Jacques-I've cmoe to the conclusion that the lambda can fail at any time, my first failed at 9k miles.

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jacques,
not possible to adjust idle speed sometimes the stepper motor (thats the same as a choke)acts up . This has to corrected on an analyser .
Alan
- - - - - -
Keep her clean

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mean that a stepper motor default can be fixed electronically, or do you mean the fault detected?
I will first disconnect the Lambda and see what happens. On Friday morning it "hunted" quite a bit after a warm startup for a few seconds.
Anybody recognise this as a Lambda default?

Thanks

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jacques

Both my 1.8 and V6 have occassionally done this "hunting" on warm and cold start ups.

I just blip the throttle and it goes away. Never put it down to Lambda as I've replaced so many and the fault is still there. Perhaps another temp sensor problem indicator???

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jacques,
Yes sometimes the stepper can be fixed electronically, the analyser can clear the fault.
Alan
- - - - - - -
Keep her clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts