Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK how do you adjust this?

i've not looked yet :rolleyes: and i'm at work so i thought i'd ask.

Over the last 4 months or so i've noticed my idle is higher than it used to be... it' idle at around 900rpm... maybe 925rpm . I put it down to the cold at first. Now i think it's perminantly changed.

No engine works have been done recently/around the time i noticed the issue. Oil change was long overdue when i noticed it - has since been done.
No other problems with the car what so ever.
MPG is the same, no jerkyness blah blah blah.

I want to reduce the idle down to about 800rpm
Is it just an idle screw? or is it ECU controlled.

cheers in advance

J

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not just raising it to compensate for all the electrical goodies you use at the moment is it ???? Like lights, heater, rear demist all on at the same time....

My car has been idling higher recently as well. Mine ticks over at about 950rpm just now. I notice if I switch the lights on at idle, the revs rise slightly........

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Far as I know there is no way to adjust it as its a closed loop system.....except perhaps for the throttle cable. Perhaps this has got a bit of muck at the end or something!

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have trouble with idle Revs too......just tell them to buck their idea's up or they'll be looking for another place to stay :D

...sorry :eek:...I'll get me car keys :p

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the idle control valve??? Don't all models have an idle control valve?? It might be that the valve needs removing and cleaning?? If it's anything like the one's on the Sierra Cosworth and MG Maestro then they get carbon build up and it affects the idle speed slightly. . . . . . . Dooooooohhhhh what do I know anyway!!!!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Your probably right Frankie .......................

...........Jase try removing and cleaning the Idle Control Valve with either carb cleaner or thinners :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
It can only be adjusted in the software, a dealer can do this with the diagnostics aparatus

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers all.

I've had a fiddle with the idle valve... no diff there.

might go and speak to my local mechanic who has all the ECU gizmos under the sun and see what he can do.

cheers

j

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
let us know how you get on j ;) i seem to have a similar problem too,
my car tends to over rev when stoping at a junction but only when its cold
i was sugested to take the ideler out and give it a good spay with WD40 but have not got round to doing it yet! but see what the machanic says :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts