Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After changing distribution and all the other belts/parts my gt idle is not stable when engine is on temp.
It goes from +- 1200rpm back to 600 and from 600rpm to 1200.......

Anyone who have some tips to check out ?

thx

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, if it started after the timing belt job, I'd be tempted to say the timing is not correct. Were the correct cam locks used for the work ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Probably the air induction system is worth checking, that every part from airbox to throttle body is correctly connected and tightened (make sure you have the vaccum hose connected properly to the induction pipe. Also check the hoses to the breathing system).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree on checking the air intake for leaks. Also check the airfilter box and that the air filter is clean.
The throttle butterfly valve might need a cleaning (be careful)

The MAF and the idle actuator are also under suspicion, but before changing any of those, you might want to try a reset (also after cleaning the butterfly valve):

1. Disconnect the negative lead from the battery for a minimum of 45 minutes. Some people recommend overnight but that is not really necessary.
2. Reconnect the battery negative lead
3. Put key in
ignition, turn to MAR and leave for 90 secs
4. Turn off the ignition, but not remove the key and leave for 90 secs

5. Start the engine but do not touch the throttle and let the car idle for 15 mins otherwise the car will not rev freely afterwards (as V6 owners know at their peril)
6. Turn the car off and leave for 10 mins
7. Start the car and take her for a blast

Note:
normal bold text
= ECU Reset
bold and italic and underlined = Throttle reset
Source:
ECU Reset - It's A Miracle Cure !!!!
by “ALFARED” – post No. 21.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this reset, must that be done with a warm or cold engine ?

oyes the garage will ckeck the cam locks to besure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts