Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an erratic stop in my 145. The pattern seems to be when the Air conditioning is linked and the compressor is cut in. What I did now was to give 300 rpm more to the "ralenti" (idle) touching the throttle position, from 800 to 1100. This way it doesn't stop but I can see the regimen variations when the compressor get in, specially breaking and turning. Apparently, I have no problems without AA.
The actual gas in the tank could be poor since I had to feel it in a small place in the country. I'm waiting for having it almost empty to load the best grade again.
I'm also suspecting the chance of having the IAC (Idle air control unit) a bit dirty, but I'll see that after refilling the tank to see what happens.
Any advise will be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
It sounds like a dirty MAF. The idle control valve can be checked by slowly increasing the revs. If it cuts out at a certain spot then you know what it is. It wont matter whether ther aircon is on or not. The spot will be your usual throttle position and is generally fairly little throttle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tanks Dodger: If I'm not wrong, what you call MAF is what I call IAC. If it's not so, please enlightened me. Beside of that, what do you mean bay "my usual throttle position". Once you tell me about that, I'll follow you advise

·
Registered
801 Posts
To me the idle actuator (throttle position sensor?) is in/near the throttle body (might well be the same thing as it's a few years since I had mine), the MAF measures the air intake and is the sensor sticking out of the intake pipe. You can clean the MAF with alcohol - careful not to touch the sensor wires.

Try the slow throttle increase as you don't need to take anything apart and you can rule this out quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts