Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know this has been talked about, but i have some extra questions.

Since my 155 does funny things with revs when idling (no problems otherwise) i decided to check this.
I have located mine thanks to jimmybob's nice picture with the white arrow. Now i plan to take it apart and clean it. What is the best way to do it? Carb cleaner?
And since my technical know-how is pretty limited i would like ask if this is the proper way to do it:

1. Unscrew the part
2. Disconnect the electrical thingy
3. Pour some cleaner inside, shake a little, repeat until no more crap
4. Let it dry
5. Put back again
6. Wonder a little where the extra screw that remains goes to wink

(since i hear it has moving parts i also plan to spray little WD40 in afterwards)

Anything i should watch out not to break, damage etc?

Thanks,
Jaka

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned the thing today. It was full of something black. The black dirt grinded with the little flap inside. Just cleaning with carb cleaner was not enough, i had to use a brush to get the dirt out. Now the flap moves without problems, and after a short drive it seemed that things improved a lot.

But after getting back from the drive i tried to push and release the throttle when idling a little. And the revs would go up,down,up,down and then settle. Maybe the ECU is afraid the engine will die?
Should i reset it?

Thanks,
Jaka

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did the idle valve seal ok(split gasket) you could try reseting it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gasket looked ok. Can i somehow test if it's leaking?

When the thing was apart i had a good look at the valve. The little flap was 1/4 open. I could open it more by hand and it always returned to this position. And the end of the flap looked like one sawtooth. Is this what is should look like?
And also can i somehow test the valve's operation?

Otherwise i tested the behaviour even more. It is better than before, but still if i press accelerator a little (1200-2000 revs) and release it the engine stalls a little and then settles. But when releasing the accelerator at 3000+ revs the engine comes to idle without problems. :confused:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi there, my idle control valve was really perfect in his function, but like I had never clean it I decided to do the job the last week end.
I cleaned it carefully and also had the black thing as Jaka says, I fitted it back with a new gasket.
After a few rounds I could see that it revs. at 900/950 rpm,but before (and all his life)it always revs, at 850 rpm. :confused:
I really don´t understand why, but I think better do not touch it again.
Cheers
Jorge frown

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know where can i find a new gasket? I want to replace it just in case.

Jaka

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fiddled with the thing even more. It seems the electrical connection was also my problem. Now that i cleaned the pins the problem went away.
Don't say anything about bad italian electrics. It's ze german elektrik problem :) The ECU and the valve are all bosch made :)

Jaka

1 - 8 of 8 Posts