Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks before I part Ex my 96 p plate cloverleaf, an annoying problem has reared it's head. I think the car knows it's going and has decided to give me grief :confused: but anyway I digress.
A couple of days ago, the clover hessitated under acceleration, injection light came on, cleared it's throat and carried on. All seemed well until I wanted to slow down. At 2k revs, the car lurched forward. Dipping the clutch revealed a revving between 2 - 2.5k. In a town center on a saturday afternoon this got me a few looks.... :rolleyes:
Got it home, done some research and went about cleaning the Idle acuator. It was very dirty / oily. Cleaned buterfly valve also as it was sugested on another thread. Started up, no difference. Loud induction noise accompanied the revving. I then pulled the plug off the IA and tried again. Settled down to a high idle of 1500 rpm. This I can live with.
Question is,
a) Does it sound like the IA is knackered
b) How much are they to replace?

Any help gratefully recieved.

cheers

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's certainly how mine behaved when I managed to mess up the IA settings, revs varying from 1500-2500 IIRC. It was fixed by a local Bosch agent (cheaper than AR). In my case no bits needed replacing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do a search on erratic idle on this thread as i had the same problem and received lots of info including idle actuator/potrtiometer what ever you want to call it, as mine had been replaced quite recently, and there supposed to be dink anyway (not well made).

D

·
0 Posts
When I had a problem with mine it wouldn't idle at all, I've never had a problem with a high tickover :) BTW I have a spare one now so if mine gets dirty again I can just change it and clean it when I have time......... ;) ;)
Daibill when you cleaned the IA was there a gasket between it and the throttle body ?? if not could there be an air leak causing the engine to idle eraticly :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah there is a gasket between the actuator and the throttle body. i can't be doing with spending lots of cash on it as it's going in a couple of weeks ( or whenever I get the Cupra R delivered ). If a new IA is something like £20 or so and will sort it then i'll just change it otherwise I may just grin and bear it and ride the clutch when I pull into the dealers.
At first I thought it was dodgy petrol as the car has been prone to stalling whenever I put petrol in from a certain local garage but optimax usually clears it. Not this time though.
To be honest this is the only grief the car has given me in the 4 years I've had it so it can be forgiven.

D

·
0 Posts
I wish it was only £20 my parts disc puts the price at £142. :eek: When you turn the ignition on with the bonnet open can you hear it buzzing or alternitively if you get someone else to turn the ignition on you should be able to feel it vibrate aparently it goes through a cleaning cycle every time you turn the ignition on. :)
When mine needed cleaning the car wouldn't idle at all.......... ;) ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
£142 :lol: :cheese: I'll leave it then, let the seat dealers sort it out.

cheers mate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts