Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
It's easy! Remove bottom hose from radiator and have large bucket handy to gather coolant. Undo both screws at thermostat and disconnect all hoses photograph or note where all hoses go. Install new thermostat and tighten both screws to 20-25nm. Reconnect all hoses, fill expansion tank & leave lid off.

Start engine and leave to idle, once engine gets upto temp the thermostat will open and coolant level will drop, so pour in remaining coolant. (Might need more new coolant).

Put cap back on expansion bottle. Check before and after driving for next few days and top up if necessary. .......Job done!

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's easy! Remove bottom hose from radiator and have large bucket handy to gather coolant. Undo both screws at thermostat and disconnect all hoses photograph or note where all hoses go. Install new thermostat and tighten both screws to 20-25nm. Reconnect all hoses, fill expansion tank & leave lid off.

Start engine and leave to idle, once engine gets upto temp the thermostat will open and coolant level will drop, so pour in remaining coolant. (Might need more new coolant).

Put cap back on expansion bottle. Check before and after driving for next few days and top up if necessary. .......Job done!
Lol - reply in wrong thread I think :)

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Lol - reply in wrong thread I think :)
More likely that Griffster has been told many times to replace his thermostat as it is contributing to his poor running and the only bit of advise he has taken was to replace the sparkplugs, Which was 1 entry in a long list of Service items that needs to be done to his car as soon as possible.

Griffster, In the interest of being helpfull:

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_...aworkshop.co.uk/alfa_spark_plug_renewal.shtml

But please tell me you are going to change the oil and Thermostat too!

Edit: Or not?? I am loosing track of Griffsters topics! http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...962-replacing-ts-ph2-thermostat-bleeding.html

·
Registered
479 Posts
The only thing might be that your car will have ribe rather than torx bits - pretty straightforward on a twinnie. Just don't overtighten the plugs.
http://greenserpent.unospace.net/howtos/Alfa156_16vTSpark_Plugs.pdf
That covers it nicely. Take your time and be careful unclipping bits, wires as they can cause a bit of a problems if broken. Don't forget to refasten the earth wire which is mentioned in the instructions.

I have done this on two Tsparks and in both cases managed to source very low milegae plugs on ebay. It saves quite a few bob and has been fine on both engines.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you can , stick a vacuum cleaner (or air gun) into the plug hole before you remove the plugs to stop dirt from falling into the engine when you remove the plugs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for advice - working through backlog of neglect to keep Alfie on the road, bit by bit as funds allow .... Hope values of TS rise to £2k before too long to cover costs..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts