Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to see a 156 1.9JTD Ti Multijet this morning, a private sale. 37,000 on the clock, up on Autotrader for £7300. A young Polish chap, been here for 3 years, working for a security firm.

Car's in pretty good nick, been pretty well looked after. She drove OK, no obvious problems.

Then I ask to see the paperwork - recent 36,000 service, so far so good. Then I ask to see the V5, having noticed that the new owner tear-off slip is sitting in the pages of the service book. Then he digs out the V5 - there is an English name on the V5 :rolleyes: .

Much umming and aahing follows, along with immediate offers of dropping the price quite substantially for a quick sale. I ask him for paper to write down the name and address of the person on the V5 so I can do a bit of detective work and try to contact them by phone, to see what's happened - but he doesn't have any :rolleyes: .

Now it may be that the Polish guy bought the car speculatively but genuinely but of course it may also be that the car is nicked or whatever. I pointed this all out to him and he said that it takes 6 weeks for the DVLA to issue a new V5. Well actually, I'm sure it doesn't take the full 6 weeks, infact I guess because the market is so slow at the moment, they are processing stuff rather quickly. I recently put my personal reg. plate on retention in anticipation of getting a new car and they processed it in about 3 days!

I just walked away in the end, a shame, because the car could be genuine and I could have got her for an absolute song. But of course, there could be problems :( .

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why put yourself in a possibly dodgy
situation when you can walk away. :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You win some you lose some. You could check the plates and engine number with these police databases and check the original owner out.

One less owner in the book, look on the bright side!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't bother to yet, SPP. I guess I could spend a fiver and do so, that would tell me if it's nicked or not. Could there be other unforeseen problems?

Nev, yes, my instinct was to walk away. The guy seemed genuine enough but very keen to get rid of by this weekend.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'd have done some investigative work for sure, especially if he's willing to drop the price.

It may well be genuine, why would he have the V5 if it's nicked, he'd have made up some story about that, or if it was a forged V5 then it'd have had his correct details on.

Might be worth donning a deer stalker.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I'd have done some investigative work for sure, especially if he's willing to drop the price.

It may well be genuine, why would he have the V5 if it's nicked, he'd have made up some story about that, or if it was a forged V5 then it'd have had his correct details on.

:lol: :lol:

Wouldn't it be easier to phone the police and ask them if the car is stolen - takes about 10 minutes....if it is then - you can advise the police where the car is - if it is not, then you can persue other checks if you are still wary of purchase...

Chris

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
:lol: :lol:

Wouldn't it be easier to phone the police and ask them if the car is stolen - takes about 10 minutes....if it is then - you can advise the police where the car is - if it is not, then you can persue other checks if you are still wary of purchase...

Chris
Much cheaper and easier option:thumbs: I did that once with a car that I thought might be dodgy. They said it wasnt on their database so i bought it:)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Much cheaper and easier option:thumbs: I did that once with a car that I thought might be dodgy. They said it wasnt on their database so i bought it:)
haha cheaper than a HPI! :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts

On the possibility of a forged V5, there isn't a document around that can't be forged, at least well enough to fool non-professionals, and many are a lot better than that. There are forged passports around that will pass almost any check at a port or airport.

·
Registered
391 Posts
IMHO i wouldn't have thought the police would tell you that unless it was your car that you wished to report stolen.

Some of the car search companies struck deals with the police and insurers and paid them well for that priveledged infomation,i dont think they would be too happy if they knew that the cops were providing a free service!

If he didnt have any paper for you to write on,i assume that you not going to get a 'bill of sale' either:tut:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
IMHO i wouldn't have thought the police would tell you that unless it was your car that you wished to report stolen.

Some of the car search companies struck deals with the police and insurers and paid them well for that priveledged infomation,i dont think they would be too happy if they knew that the cops were providing a free service!

If he didnt have any paper for you to write on,i assume that you not going to get a 'bill of sale' either:tut:
Oh yes, sorry, forgot to mention the father in law is a copper :lol:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Wasnt a batch of blank V5's stolen about a month ago on their way back from the DVLA to the printers as the colour was slightly off shade.
HHHMMMMMM, and how do you know so much about it :tut:

(shhh, i'll have one off you in sept :lol:)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts

Nope they do in Luton - neighbour bought a car and left it in the garage block - no tax on it so thought is suspicious and a likely candidate to be burnt out....phoned up Luton Police advised them where it was make model asked them to send a unit...to check it out....phoned me back within 10 mins and said would I be kind enough to go and take a look at number plate...and give them the details - did that and 5 mins later they phone back saying no reports, but they would send a car to check later on....

Couple of days later see my neighbour working on it - and explained what I did...he saw the funny side., but understood my concerns...

Had a similar instance a few years back - at work, where the police checked into a suspicious car...

Chris

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the possibility of a forged V5, there isn't a document around that can't be forged, at least well enough to fool non-professionals, and many are a lot better than that. There are forged passports around that will pass almost any check at a port or airport.
Elvis and Bin Laden now have one of those new, supposedly uncrackable chip passports: Researcher gives Elvis and bin Laden fake e-passports | The Register

Brilliant. No matter how hard the government try to force all this new technology onto us it doesn't take long for people to find their way round it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts