Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm enjoying a relaxing Sunday afternoon drive in my GTAm and some idiot decides to overtake!

This is why I have a camera in the car now!

See what you think guys, it resulted in a cracked headlight.

https://youtu.be/pCFnz2vAjbk

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Give the footage to the local BiB. Not good.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Mmmm, difficult and I don't think they will prosecute. Fairly sure you can't enter hatched zone "unless it is safe to do so." As there wasn't an accident some may consider it must have been safe.

I asse light was broken from debris kicked up by his wheels as it accumulates in unused areas of the road.

Unless his speed was very significantly in excess of that for the road they won't have resources to bother. Also no calibrated equipment used.

See what BiB say but I suspect most, if anything, is a ticking off.

Please don't get me wrong that is very poor driving, if you were turning right and had forgotten to indicate or had a bulb out that could have been a very big accident.

Speak to BiB, you never know.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Equally you could try the position of asking the police for the registered keeper as you want to make a claim. Then write to the keeper with copy of video and bill for new light asking for his insurers details. He can pay or pass to his insurer and I don't suppose he will want his insurance company to have a copy of that video.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Stupid driving yes but its not illegal to enter a hatched area that's defined by broken line - the coppers aren't going to do anything about it - any claim you make needs to go through your insurance but are you prepared to potentially lose your NCB for a light that costs what?, Phone your insurance company and see what they say and keep his number in your car just in case you ever get a chance to "have a word"...
I'm afraid I don't hold out much hope as you could have equally had your headlamp broken by something thrown up by a vehicle being driven normally, let the highways know about the debris so they can ignore it but at least you've told them.
You have my sympathy but I don't think there's much you can do

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
its probably OK in the UK to use those dashcams as it is in Netherlands, Denmark, France, Spain, Italy, Malta, Norway, Serbia und Bosnia-Herzegowina.
In Russia everyone has them.
Here in Germany they are not illegal, can be used for private purposes, but you cannot (for instance;)) upload the videos on a public platform like U tube as it infringes on other's privacy.....
In Belgium, Luxemburg and Portugal they are not allowed and in Austria they are forbidden and you could be fined up to 10,000 euros for having one!

But, yes that guy didn't need to overtake you like that. Just a twit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry for the damages to your GTAm.:cry: Super cool classic Alfa. :smoker:

Regarding what Spiderserie4 wrote, I have to point out, that in Denmark you would never find similar broken white lines surrounding white diagonal stripes painted on the road. In this country lines surrounding diagonal lines painted on the road would always consist of those solid white lines you would not be allowed to cross.
Am pretty sure the same is the case in many other countries, like e.g. Norway.

As far as I can see (as a "bl… foreigner" :biglaugh:) :
The purpose for those arrows painted on the road, you see just before the overtaking takes place must be to lead the traffic into the lane which in my view is exclusive for turning sharp right into the parking area where those Lorries are parked. Also another purpose of the diagonal lines is to warn the oncoming traffic about the middle section of grass and road signs further ahead.

I found these UK rules:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/road-markings

and the link to (UK) rule 130 states:

"Rule 130
Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.
• If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
• If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency. “

So, personally I would definitely let the police have a look at this film. :judge:
Donno if your insurance Co. could give you advise regarding the compensation for the damages, but in this country at least, most insurance companies would offer that service.

You might also have a much better case if the police thinks it is a traffic violation.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
ok not a great overtake, I would have been upset getting overtaken by a peugeot, but you can't legislate for debris on the road,
only if the debris breaks something (ie your sump......even then you got to know if highways is even responsible for that road, then prove it etc, etc.pita!)

the UK highways authority covers motorways and "some" A roads, but states:

"You can’t claim compensation from Highways England if debris from another vehicle caused the damage. Contact your insurer instead."

slick city lawyers basically telling you, sure our roads are cr*p, but hey we ain't paying you zilch;)

bite the bullet, get your nice car repaired yourself and move on and enjoy it some more:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Just to update everyone, I contacted the police who saw the footage and replied to me in writing today saying:

"After reviewing the footage we can confirm that no offence has occurred, overtaking on the broken hatch lines is a legal manoeuvre so no action will be taken"

I'm surprised really (maybe I shouldn't be) that an obvious dangerous overtake would not be taken further?

They will happily prosecute you for going 5mph over the limit and send you on a better driving course but overtaking like an idiot and possibly causing an accident is ok?!

I guess even having a camera in car these days is not enough.

Happy driving!!

P.S still thinking to contact my insurance company though.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Well... Idiots is already idiots enough...
What is the reason to report a particular idiot ???...
PS. I am a kind of Russian who has never used dash cam.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not the kind of overtake I'd ever do, but I think calling it "obviously dangerous" is a step too far. Sorry about your headlight, that would have had me steaming too :furious:
I think most people would call it dangerous as the idiot is overtaking whilst another car is on coming, the arrows telling you the road is going from double to single lane were passed 50 meters or so back so the driver knew they had to fall in behind me. I was doing the limit on that road 60mph so they were also speeding!

So I stand by my dangerous overtake it was!!

If you do an mot check on the Peugeot is has a very long list of issues from bald tyres to brake pads worn out etc etc so good luck to the idiot driving it like that!!

In the good old days a patrol car would have pulled it over and given them a stern word but nowadays its ok, but if you get caught by a speed camera doing 5mph over on a straight empty road then it costs you £60 3 points or a day learning about speeding!! and they call this progress!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
If you do an mot check on the Peugeot is has a very long list of issues from bald tyres to brake pads worn out etc etc so good luck to the idiot driving it like that!!
interesting...
how does one do that?....is that possible for anyone to do?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I wouldn't say that was particularly dangerous - he had plenty of room, and as the plod have confirmed, overtaking on broken hatching is not an offence. Bad luck on the headlight though.

I got overtaken by someone this weekend on a blind bend. I was just setting off on the GTA, not hot, so tickling along at about 40 in a 40, and some bloke in a R reg BMW appears next to me as we are turning round a tight right hand bend. WTF? He could see all of 18 feet in front of him, there would have been an almighty smash if someone appeared from the other direction.

If you do an MOT check on my GTA it says the same. Only bought it 3 months ago....

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Who do not everyone buy dash camera to sneak idiots ???...
:biglaugh:
Actually, that is becoming a problem in this country. There is now a persistent abuse of YouTube and compact recorders being used by very self-righteous people it seems, who have made entire part time careers out of pointing the finger.

Cyclists vs motorists was one of the first popular ones. The trucks, buses and taxis soon followed suit. Pedestrians are also starting to use them, though seemingly much less. There are endless cases of things being posted on the internet to try and force some form of 'civil justice'. Actually, it's a severe invasion of privacy for both parties, and has often been found to backfire on the person recording (victim) and the offender.

Pictures are just as bad, people post things all over the internet without proper evidence or context. Recording people and putting it on the Internet is perhaps a very biased way of handling a confrontation, and then you show it to millions of people for whom the confrontation does not concern.

I bet these same people would be moaning if various parties were allowed to access their personal devices freely.

Bad luck on the headlight. :(

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Is it becoming or it already is. I understand this privacy issues completely.
My question is why to sneak in principal dash cam or not with ???... What is a motivation to do it ???...
Guy from the video could be wrong 100 times but nobody knows what was his reason to do it.
It does not refute him to do nasty things which you might not like it, but again - why to sneak it ???...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts