Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I recently bought a -92 Q4, along with the Car I got what is supposed to be a "chipped" box and an extra chip. The chips are marked 101.03 and 101.04 Does these numbers say anything, I saw Evocars hade one chip that was named 101.03, could this be an Evocar chip?

Any help would be appreciated. Is there any PDF-version of the original Workshop manual out there? I live in Northern Sweden and I have approx 1200km to the nearest skilled service provider for these cars, so I´m pretty much on my own...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ArticQ4:
Hi! I recently bought a -92 Q4, along with the Car I got what is supposed to be a "chipped" box and an extra chip. The chips are marked 101.03 and 101.04 Does these numbers say anything, I saw Evocars hade one chip that was named 101.03, could this be an Evocar chip?

Any help would be appreciated. Is there any PDF-version of the original Workshop manual out there? I live in Northern Sweden and I have approx 1200km to the nearest skilled service provider for these cars, so I´m pretty much on my own...
Changing the chip is a walk in the park.. However, I haven't had any luck with the Evocars chips. I tried three of them, from which the last one was custom made for me from the original chip-file. None of them worked.

I ordered a chip from Squadra and it worked instantly. Now, I am waiting for a refund from Evo eng.

Squadra doesn't "promise" that much and I must say that first impressions were disappointing. In overall the boost increase has _only_ been +0.2 bars. I had expected more.

Dyno runs are due later this week.

(Mods: Cats removed. The two last silencers replaced with 3" pipe. BMC cone filter, larger and more durable all-aluminium intercooler, fuel pressure upped to 3.2 bars, platinum spark plugs.)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm about to order a chip from Evocars,because they have a map to use the advantages of the Tipo inlet cam I will fit in my Q4.
I have a '93 Q4 as well,and my eprom is the 101.04 type.
Salmi what about your eprom?Which type do you have?What were the problems with the Evoeng. chip?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Sami.. Just a thought but if you've upped the fuel pressure to 3.2 bar per the Evo eng chip, you'll need to put it back to standard for the squadra - as far as I know, it's written for a std fuel pressure so you will loose power & badly overfuel.

A

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, but back to the original Q , is the marking of EPROMs 101.03 and 101.04 something that come from Evocars or is it some markings from the factory(AlfaRomeo).

Sami: I visit your homepage, very good, I removed my EGR already, thanks alot. Will you post details on the activation of the water spraysystem?

·
Registered
177 Posts
101.03-05 is ALfa Romeos standard chips for the three generations of Q4. 92-mid93/mid93-late95/late95-april96.

Who's car did you buy?

Good luck with the car

/A

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers.

A_Möller: the car is more or less unknown I guess, bought it in Northern Sweden. I posted a picture on it at Alfapower, whereas I also use the nickname iBjorn. I currently have some small problems with lack of power and boost but as soon as I have this worked out, I will propably go for a Squadra chip :cool:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW. Have any of you tested the "Freeware" chip for 155Q4 at HFAlex? I think it´s made by an ex-evocars technian?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jepp, works ok! Not really sure about its performance, but if I remember it correctly it is more of a performance chip than a fuel saver. Can take a closer look at it if you want.

/A

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be nice if you could, I don´t have the knowledge myself...

The price is right, since I at the moment can´t afford the Squadra. Have you tried it?

Anyway I have put up some pictures of the car at:

http://homepage.mac.com/ibjorn/PhotoAlbum32.html

There is also a picture of the chip that I thought was tuned, it was marked a little bit strange.

I´m also considering to mount a Air/Fuel instrument, is it possible to connect to the original Lambda probe or do I need to mount an extra lambda?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gibbonQ4:
I'm about to order a chip from Evocars,because they have a map to use the advantages of the Tipo inlet cam I will fit in my Q4.
I have a '93 Q4 as well,and my eprom is the 101.04 type.
Salmi what about your eprom?Which type do you have?What were the problems with the Evoeng. chip?
My 92/93 Q4 had the 101.03 type EPROM and the problem was that the car wouldn't start after fitting the EvoEng chip.

They promised me a refund, but this hasn't happened so far. (About a month gone now)

They haven't even replied to my inquiry last week.

I am getting a bit worried.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fade2grey:
Hi Sami.. Just a thought but if you've upped the fuel pressure to 3.2 bar per the Evo eng chip, you'll need to put it back to standard for the squadra - as far as I know, it's written for a std fuel pressure so you will loose power & badly overfuel.

A
Hi,

I don't think the fuel pressure causes overfuel. I just think that there is more headroom and the injectors don't need to be open 100% all the time.

I am not an expert how the "program" is written on the chip, but I believe that the time which the injector is open, is not constant.

I believe that the computer will adjust (shorten) the injector timing to get the perfect A/F ratio.

Now, when all this is said. I will connect the car to the gas analyzer this evening and get proof.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sami: I think you have to call Berry on Evocars to get a fast response. I wouldn't worry about the money. I hav ethe 101.05 in my car and it has never failed to start or run on any chip. The Evocars chip is "Evo 2" based an I find it strange it doesn't work in your car. Normally it is the Immobilizer that is the big problem but there is no immobilizer in none of the cars.

Björn: Your chip looks a bit srange, as it has been marked with an extra text label. Maybe a prevoius owner has tested some different chips. In any case it seems to be a standard chip. If you're unsure and can survive without it for a week you can send it here to have it read.

You can in theory connect an external A/F meter to the lambda sone, but that migh cause trouble for the ECU. It's better to borrow a broadband lambda and fit it to a new hole. Then you can read the actual value, not just <1 or >1.

I'll take new look at Alex chip next wek.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ArticQ4

Would be a huge favour the following thing :D ?

I wanna order a Q4 chip from Evoeng.But Barry doesn't have the map of the 101.04 eprom,and unfortunatly my Q4 has the very same eprom.I couldn't find anybody who could read my eprom.
Do you know a person around you who could read your 101.04 eprom?

Regards
GibbonQ4

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I´ll see what I can do, I got some friends at a research lab at an nearby University. It can take a few weeks, hope it´s OK, otherwise I must send the chip to someone.

But I can´t guarantee that this is an original chip, but Barry might see if it is...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will take them to a friend next week and have them read, after that I can send files of the EPROM.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Sami.

regarding the fuel pressure.. as I understand it (I might be wrong) the injector timing is coded into the chip to open them for so many miliseconds, if the fuel pressure is higher, more fuel will pass through during this time - ie an injector will flow xxCC of fuel/sec @2.5bar but xxCC fuel/sec @ 3bar

So if you use higher fuel pressure (or different injectors) you'll need to remap these timings. The lambda will deal with a bit of this but I would have thought this much adjustment was out of it's range.

Cheers,
Alex

1 - 20 of 29 Posts