Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get the phone working (or at least a valid signal) once yesterday for a few minutes but never got as far as making a call. I'm able to put the sim in and enter my pin correctly but then I just get the phone with a line through it :(

Frustrating because I saw it all (apparently) working for a couple of minutes. What could be wrong?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. thanks. i get 3 or 4 bars on signal strength, though. tried mate's 3 sim card and it wouldn't read at all ...

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
ok. thanks. i get 3 or 4 bars on signal strength, though. tried mate's 3 sim card and it wouldn't read at all ...
Was his sim different from O2 or Vodafone.

My old phone doesnt take orange or virgin or T mob.

P:lol: me:lol:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was his sim different from O2 or Vodafone.

My old phone doesnt take orange or virgin or T mob.

P:lol: me:lol:
His was a 3, mine a T-Mobile. But the sim is read fine and pin works + IEME # and address book etc. SO close. Yet so far away...

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
His was a 3, mine a T-Mobile. But the sim is read fine and pin works + IEME # and address book etc. SO close. Yet so far away...
Paul
I would try o2 or vodafone sim.

Something to do with GSM frequencies.

Worth a try

P:lol: e:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paul

How did you get the phone working. Did you have an ICS with the sim card slot showing? I noticed an ICS for sale on eBay and the slot wasn't showing but with the frontage removed you could see the sim card slot.

Regards

Rosario

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Good question Razz ma man...I noticed this too.Never had the need to remove the ICS BUT if its there WELL .....
Doddy? Where's Doddy when you need him Hes the ICS MAN

Pomeo

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rosario, I have an ICS with a slot. So it was pretty easy. So long as you have a Vodafone or O2 sim. Which I don't :mad:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
just pick up a free (or cheap) tesco value sim and divert your call to it when you're in the car - easier than faffing about swapping sims between phone and car....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just pick up a free (or cheap) tesco value sim and divert your call to it when you're in the car - easier than faffing about swapping sims between phone and car....
That sounds like a good idea. But if you've got a phone with the sim in an exterior slot, it's easier to swap sims about than mess about with diverts.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Top tip again Niall.

I saw O2 were advertising 4 free sim cards on TV but never heard the T&C...Also cheap from local stores anyway.

Do you know if its just the metal casing in the ICS or are all the gubings there and you only requires a new front face with the slot?

P:xmas: me:xmas:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
nah, there's extra stuff to activate the phone function over and aobe the slot and button. it might be a case of "plug and Play" but you'd need to source the correct GSM module for the ICS for a kick off and then wire in the speaker and mic function.

The free O2 cards you get quite often need a regular topup - the tesco one doesn't and it's dead cheap...think it's 15p minute flat rate for all calls and 10p a text although you tend not to send many texts from the ICS :D

The other thing you can do if you're brave is clone your existing voda/O2 sim but apparently the networks can get very twitchy if both your phone and ICS are powered up at the same time. I bought the kit for cloning sim cards but couldn't get it to work....i've no patience so i gave up :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts