Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that knew where I could get details of the display on the Siemens ICS used by Alfa in our beloved 166?? I have plans to use the screen for video. I need the refresh rates etc and the intenet hasn't turned up any specs etc. I have managed to spoof the ICS using the Sat Nav input for text, but obviously without resolution I cant take this any further!!

Cheers for any help!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
ooooer!! This sounds like a great project....can't help you with the resolution/refresh though.

There was a post a while back about a danish(?) owner who had wired in a DVD player to the ICS but the install needed the sat nav box to be plugged in.

How did you spoof the display? Think it would be possible to spoof the CD input as well??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will search for that post. If someone else has had DVDs playing then the screen can handle video refresh rates!

Using a lot of wires and crocodile clips I connected the Sat Nav connector (have neither CD player or Sat Nav in my 166 :-( ) to my laptop and using a wiring diagram I have, set up a serial message to the ICS which (very very surprisingly!!!!) has worked - very primitive at the minute!

My idea is that if I can get my laptop video to the ICS, then I may be able to do something for the audio down to the CD changer input, but at the moment the plan is to just get the video working. If I can then the first thing is to get the Map display off Autoroute 2006 on the ICS.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i guess the satnav also feeds audio to the ICS so maybe getting audio in that way would be easier than spoofing the cd player? This will be really cool if you can get it to work :D

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
will the screen have enough colours, plus would it be able to handle all the detail! good idea thol. Is is possible to buy lets say the kenwood double din screen and cut the ics surrounding out to make it fit, the heating and light controls are seperarte, althogh not sure how youd make the climate control work on the screen

·
Registered
56 Posts
And lets be honest it a hell of alot more likey to work than rewiring you ICS!
Might see if demon tweaks will giv us a price for installation on one of those lovely shinny boxes!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
My uncles got one in his merc *(sptis)*.......i must say id have one like a shot......but then not in a 166 -If i had BMW 530i etc id have one fitted in that! The 166 is cool enough. Do you really need it. £1400 would get you some sexy ass alloys though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, i understand what your saying a17esh but if your after a DVD type system then maybe a good location is the top of dash cubby! That pioneer but of kit is expensive but there are much cheaper options about! Its all hourses for courses, I'd maybe look into a dvd system for the lad in the back but am quite happy to listen to my cd's while driving!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately I had my techy friend with me when I was doing it and it was his laptop that we were using so it's all on that! I'll ask him next time I see him if I remember.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Even if it´s possible to spoof the LCD you´d still end up with a monochrome display. Are you sure that would be worth looking at...If a solution like that should be really sexy the LCD should be swoppped for a full colour TFT. You´d of course have to worry about durability and ability to withstand extreme temperature fluctuations and humidity. And also if the current ICS is connected through a 6, 8 or 18 bit connection (or even analogue which may very well be the case). Samsung is the premier TFT panel manufacturer and makes displays for industrial and automotive use to manufacturers. See f.ex. http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/common/product_list.aspx?family_cd=LCD06 or this specific 5" model made for navigators http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Others/LTP500WV/LTP500WV.htm

·
Registered
120 Posts
niallmoran said:
the ICS display is full colour though....
Are you sure. When I look at the screen, see attached thumbnail, it doesn´t look like a full colour (16M) TFT but rather like a monochrome LCD as you´d see on an old-time terminal. But of course I could be wrong and it´s the ICS which is only feeding a monochrome signal. But it could also be that my 166 is older than yours and that the ICS display is indeed full colour on later models. Even if it can show colours I would guess that it is 256K rather than 16M.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
ICS is full colour - you need factory SatNav to appreciate it :D

Just to prove it tho' - switch it on - is the Alfa logo in colour or not ??

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
not sure how many colours but i think they are all colour screens - switch the ignition on and you'll see the alfa badge is in full colour and also the GPS maps are in full colour....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.