Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can come up with some ideas on this little problem. Just bought 2.0 TS at auction at what I am hoping is a very good price (I know very risky !! although my third from auction and first two were very good cars. 75 3.0-1989 and old 2.0 GTV-1982. Time will tell although not the best start). Problem is I can't get anything to display on the ICS display. I have been advised over the phone by dealer that with ignition on, the display should light up and prompt entry of the code (which I have). Unfortunately nothing shows. Screen completely blank !! Can anyone advise locations of any plugs/connectors that could have been disconnected at the auction or if the panels are known for being unreliable. Car only has 13500 miles with service history and does look genuine. Will be taking it into Alfa soon if I can't get it sussed. Anyone any ideas on how much I could be stung for this if it needs replaced. Already thinking about extending my mortgage !!!

Any comments would be gratefully received.
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Pete - welcome to the forum.

I may have a simple answer to your problem - have you tried pressing the 'DARK' key (on the RHS next of the screen itself) with the ignition on?

Alternatively, the settings might be all to ****, in which case you need to change the contrast, brightness etc.

Failing that, and this one's a long shot, the fuse for the ICS might have blown, in which case you need to identify which one relates to the system, then check to see if it has failed - if it has, a new one will set you back about 30p!!

Good luck!

Tobes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tobes said:
Hi Pete - welcome to the forum.

I may have a simple answer to your problem - have you tried pressing the 'DARK' key (on the RHS next of the screen itself) with the ignition on?

Alternatively, the settings might be all to ****, in which case you need to change the contrast, brightness etc.

Failing that, and this one's a long shot, the fuse for the ICS might have blown, in which case you need to identify which one relates to the system, then check to see if it has failed - if it has, a new one will set you back about 30p!!

Good luck!

Tobes
Hi Tobes

Thanks for the welcome and my most sincere thanks for your kind help and advice. I have just dived out into the rain and tried the dark button and "hey presto" light has come back into my life !! :D The screen is still very dark but I can make out some of the info. Would it be possible to advise how to input the code ? I have ordered an owners manual but won't get this till Saturday.

Again thanks a million for your advice. I will sleep a lot better tonight. Hope I can return the favour sometime soon.

Regards
Pete :)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
phew! Always nice when it turns out to be something simple :D

The ICS display on mine tends to be quite dark for a wee while after switch on, especially when cold. Have a fiddle with the settings once you get the code entered....

Cheers
Niall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tobes / Niall

I may have spoke too soon. :( I have now figured out how to input the ICS code as I could barely make out the screen. Anyway I have got into the screen settings and messed about with the day and night settings and adjusted the contrast through its full range but still the panel remains very dark. The adjustments don't appear to be having any effect. Also I cannot get any sound from the radio or cassette although the displays are shown and the cassette player is running. Maybe I am missing some critical settings as I can hardly see the screen although I have selected loud etc but again getting a bit concerned. Hoping you guys have some more pearls of wisdom you can through at me.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Pete

S

·
0 Posts
pbennett said:
Hi Tobes / Niall

I may have spoke too soon. :( I have now figured out how to input the ICS code as I could barely make out the screen. Anyway I have got into the screen settings and messed about with the day and night settings and adjusted the contrast through its full range but still the panel remains very dark. The adjustments don't appear to be having any effect. Also I cannot get any sound from the radio or cassette although the displays are shown and the cassette player is running. Maybe I am missing some critical settings as I can hardly see the screen although I have selected loud etc but again getting a bit concerned. Hoping you guys have some more pearls of wisdom you can through at me.

Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome here.

Just a thought. I know that switching the lights on should change the screen colour to green if the day/night mode is selected.

Try switching the car lights on and see if the background colour changes. If not it sounds like either a connection is a-drift, or hopefully not a prob with the ICS internals. If the screen does not illuminate then it is obviously something to do with the illumination circuit.

Another thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for ten seconds. This will reset all the systems in the car and will most likely mean you will need to enter the code again but it might return any settings back to default/factory.

Other than that I cant really think of much else but wll keep thinking.

Dont fear the worst yet as it could just be simple and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best

Steve

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried the lights and the results are as follows (With screen displayed at screen settings and set at automatic mode. The colour indicates highlighted section on screen):

Lights off - Yellow but screen barely visible from driving position ie. cant read anything !!
Lights on - Light Blue ?/Green but only barely visible with head stuck directly in front of screen. Completely invisible from driving position. And this is in the dark !!

All taken with engine running.

It appears that when the lights are switched on the screen dims and when switched back on it lights up again (probably what would be expected due to current draw). However only minute changes of light and certainly not right and again with head right up next to it !! I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow and check if there are any loose connections etc. More worrying to me is I can't get any music at all !! I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow but I'll try my best not to let him prise too much of my hard earned from me.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Pete

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome! Is it under 3 years old and therefore under warranty if its a UK car? Just that 13500 miles would be very low for 3+ year old car

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
pbennett said:
Hi Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. Just tried the lights and the results are as follows (With screen displayed at screen settings and set at automatic mode. The colour indicates highlighted section on screen):

Lights off - Yellow but screen barely visible from driving position ie. cant read anything !!
Lights on - Light Blue ?/Green but only barely visible with head stuck directly in front of screen. Completely invisible from driving position. And this is in the dark !!

All taken with engine running.

It appears that when the lights are switched on the screen dims and when switched back on it lights up again (probably what would be expected due to current draw). However only minute changes of light and certainly not right and again with head right up next to it !! I'll disconnect the battery tomorrow and check if there are any loose connections etc. More worrying to me is I can't get any music at all !! I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow but I'll try my best not to let him prise too much of my hard earned from me.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Pete
Hi, colours are right, but, just a thought - the screen is also adjusted by the car depending upon ambient light - there is a little sensor next to the cassette loader, try covering it, and then try it with a bright light shining directly at it - maybe there is something messing about there :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all

Thanks for the various suggestions. Quick update as to where I am now

Checked the battery connections and the positive terminal and three wires coming from it were quite badly corroded. Sprayed plenty of WD 40 on and disconnected the battery as Stevo suggested. Cleaned the connections up hoping that this would give full power to the screen in case it needed a good clean supply to display but this didn't make much difference (if any). The car has been imported from Northern Ireland and is an X-plate 2001 and I have verified with Fiat UK that the mileage is genuine. Howard I will check this light sensor also to see if that has an effect. Can anyone advise where the amplifier is located and where the connections/fuses etc are located for this.

Thanks all
Pete

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
unless you've got the upgraded sound system the amp is built into the ICS. The upgraded amp if you have one should be in the boot - left hand side.

Cheers
Niall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alfa dealer has confirmed that the ICS has failed and wanted about £1100 to replace with recon unit !! I have bought one from a breaker (£200) and seen it working but unfortunately they didn't have the code. I guess the code is unique to the ICS and not the car (clutching at straws as I have code for my car). I got the chassis no and reg no from the car and I have the siemens serial no. I will try my local dealer to see if they can get me the ICS code. Hopefully will finally have some music.

·
Registered
166 Posts
pbennett said:
Alfa dealer has confirmed that the ICS has failed and wanted about £1100 to replace with recon unit !! I have bought one from a breaker (£200) and seen it working but unfortunately they didn't have the code. I guess the code is unique to the ICS and not the car (clutching at straws as I have code for my car). I got the chassis no and reg no from the car and I have the siemens serial no. I will try my local dealer to see if they can get me the ICS code. Hopefully will finally have some music.
When I had to obtain my ICS code the dealers wouldn't help until I could prove I owned the car. i.e. fax them my V5 for the car.

Although that proved fruitless as they didn't have the code after all!! Doh!

So in the end I had to contact Becker who will need the serial number from the side of the ICS unit and will charge £45+VAT for the code. They took about 1-2 hours to get back to me with the code.

Hope that helps.

Tris.

(the car you pulled the ICS from didn't happen to have a Navigation reader did it?? If it did, Can you out me in contact with the breaker please???? , cheers.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have eventually got the ICS code and installed my replacement ICS unit. Everything was looking good when I switched the unit on as all info was being displayed. However I still have no sound from my speakers which has really p'd me off. Does any one have a wiring diagram/operation manual for this in pdf format ? Can the amplifier be replaced in the Becker unit and does anyone know where it is located in the unit. This is getting extremely frustrating. I am sure it must be something simple although it isn't that the unit has been muted as I have been all through the audio settings. No sound from cassette player either. Does anyone have a Becker contact ? Not keen on my Alfa service dealer. In troubleshooting the ICS when I received the car back they had not plugged in the remote filler cap, the cigarette lighter and had marked the main dash above the ICS and completely wrecked the plastic retainer which holds the gear lever cover to the main panel. No wonder they get a bad name. Unfortunately didn't notice this immediately but will be taking it up with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts