Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a track day tomorrow at Goodwood (don't suppose anyone else going from here?) and it has 98db limit. I'm hoping that I'm under it.. I have Wiz cat back & EQ length front pipes.. it's not THAT loud.. but not sure on how loud these limits are? I should be OK right? Just a long way to travel to get turned away.. and don't want to spend £50 + on a meter that I'll use once

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Going on a track day tomorrow at Goodwood (don't suppose anyone else going from here?) and it has 98db limit. I'm hoping that I'm under it.. I have Wiz cat back & EQ length front pipes.. it's not THAT loud.. but not sure on how loud these limits are? I should be OK right? Just a long way to travel to get turned away.. and don't want to spend £50 + on a meter that I'll use once
Doing a track day on Sunday and have the same thoughts !!!

Alan

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just slightly worried as 98db seems like the lowest limit I've seen.. most have 100+. I think should be fine as havn't added gtv manifolds or similar etc which makes it silly loud. Oh.. you have gtv manifolds? Better cross your fingers! :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Actually quite a few have around 95-98 so quite normal. Quick tip. Don't razz it to the track as this clears the exhaust out and makes them louder. Learn't this from a friend :)

·
Vendor
45,823 Posts
Should be well under 98 dB with standard manifolds. Make sure you rev it gently when they are sound testing you just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers fellas.. just needed that reassurance. Not ragging it on the way could be tricky, as I have to go through the hindhead tunnel ! 1.2 miles of pure joy.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Cheers fellas.. just needed that reassurance. Not ragging it on the way could be tricky, as I have to go through the hindhead tunnel ! 1.2 miles of pure joy.
Take it easy going through on the way there.
Make sure you can enjoy the track day and ...
blast it on the way back in the tunnel.
A good day all round.

Alan

N

·
0 Posts
I'd think you'd be OK - my 156 GTA has a Supersprint back end (although rest is standard) and passes the Goodwood test very easily - usually only just over 90 (but gets louder with age - how old's the system?)

Neil.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I was surprised at how quiet mine sounded when we went through the sound testing at Brands in january, even Joss said 'is that it?' :lol: considering if i go to a mates house i dont even have to knock the door as they normaly hear it coming and are already outside waiting :lol: I don't think mines overly loud anyway :) (want it louder though :D)

Have fun :thumbs:

Edit- just found it in my phone. With Autodelta Quad exhaust mine was 82.9 decibels :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent.. that sounds promising.. can't be much different to your quad exhaust levels. Hmm Alan.. sounds sensible.. I'll do my best.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Agree with Dan just rev gently up to the revs they want to take the measurement at because otherwise it will bark.

If you had gtv manifolds you would stand a hope in hell though lol

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arg! On my way to track, and 20 miles into journey got mcsf! Really hope its ok.. luckily have laptop and obd with me, but no fiatecuscan on this pc.. hopefully can download and work out the problem? Hope just an electrical glitch or battery or something :( fingers crossed

·
Registered
642 Posts
If a car is above 98db then you'll know as it will be incredibly loud.

My car was measured to be at 98db at Bedford, which I thought was low, with a full custom setup that included catless manifolds, sports cats and a straight through centre pipe and my car was very loud at the time. I still got black flagged for noise though while out on track but a car with standard manifolds and all the cats in place should not be anywhere near as loud.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a good theory... First sound test came out at 110db, I kid you not. Took it for a drive to get it fully warm, only took revs to 4k second time around, and scraped through on 98db.. man I was worried! Wizard and EQ length pipes and straight through centre.. all cats in place.. be careful guys! Damn mcsf didn't go all day but car performed brilliant.. place was full of amg mercs and track prepped beetles, morris minors.. cracking day and home safe.. what a car :cool:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The gta was getting a lot of love from a BMW m1 driver, loved the noise.. was only approx. 3 to 5 seconds a lap slower than him, track wet, q2 totally useless. Next time will upgrade the budget tyres that came on the car from when I bought, but was drying towards the end and was finding some good speed. Will make a little highlights video as recorded most of the day :) next job fiatecuscan.. couldn't get it working in pits, hopefully a minor issue

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
105db noise limit at Spa Italia for the track session, so hopefully most will be fine.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
The gta was getting a lot of love from a BMW m1 driver, loved the noise.. was only approx. 3 to 5 seconds a lap slower than him, track wet, q2 totally useless. Next time will upgrade the budget tyres that came on the car from when I bought, but was drying towards the end and was finding some good speed. Will make a little highlights video as recorded most of the day :) next job fiatecuscan.. couldn't get it working in pits, hopefully a minor issue
:thumbs:

Cracking. Get those tyres changed man! Budget tyres on a GTA is a big no no! (I have some on the front at the mo as I was desperate a few weeks back) but I've getting some lovely new rubber soon. :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I know I know, the budget tyres were stupid.. and they let me down big time.. they were the weak link. Definitely buying some better ones asap. Had uniroyal rainsport 2 before on 156 2.5, they seemed pretty good, but they're not much cheaper now than the proper premium tyres.. is it worth going for like a PS3 or something?

Turns out the mcsf was an issue well documented by other ppl with EQ front pipes, need to swap the lambdas. Turns out you can do this in the little box behind the plenum, after I spent 20 min trying to get it done under the car without enough space or the right tools.

Heres a little taster vid, annoyingly taking hours to upload to youtube

Goodwood tunnel, 147 GTA, Wizard, EQ Length FP's - YouTube

1 - 20 of 22 Posts