Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally bought my 147! I was going to get a lower spec model for something around £4-4.5k (the cheapest the ebay ones seem to be) but tbh they were all pretty tatty up-close. The plan was to then buy leather at around £500 from ebay (Rare that it comes up though) and to buy Superports (around £500 with tyres I guess). Then this one came up that already had the lot!

It's a 2.0 selespeed, Black with Tan leather, heated seats and the Bose sounds. It was advertised as 35k miles but it turned out the guy was try to blag it, looking through the paperwork I took note of the mileages, and noticed the numbers suddenly dropped at one of the services!
So he came clean and said that the dash had been replaced at 24k (Letter from Alfa to proove it). He still wouldn't budge on the price (£4995) so I only managed to get £50 off, but I figured £4945 is a decent enough price for a 60k miler with leather and supersports anyway isn't it?!

The paintwork has a couple of small but sharp dings on the passenger door, (I may try and find one of those miracle repair places to patch that up) and the bonnet is peppered with the tinyest stone chips pretty much all over, so small that I'm hoping a colour wax would probably lose most of.
• Any experience of what the best product to fill these little specs is?

On the interior there's only minor niggles, the LCD screen in the centre of the dash the bottom half doesn't work. So I get a message that starts to tell me "Front Left" and then nothing underneath it to say what the fault is! The 'front left' fault, it seems, is a sidelight bulb!
• Does this mean a loose connection, or a replacement screen needed? If I replace it, will it have to be from the same year, and a 2.0 sele? Can the screen alone come out and be replaced? Rather than buying a new dash!!

Plus the guy completely butchered the cupholder part of the dash, to fit in a cheapie ebay DVD player with motorised screen! It does work, but he's mounted it below the stanard HU to retain the steering controls and it sends its audio over an FM frequency.
Fun as it is, I've never seen the point in an in-car DVD player, especially along side another HU, so that's coming out and I'm going to refit cupholders as well as fitting my Sony HU, with my ipod adapter, and buying a steering controls connector.

• The Airbag light is on, (both of them!) which if it's the same as a Fiat simply means a trip to Alfa doesn't it? How much do they charge to rectify it??

Oh, and the Numberplate is still the guy's personal one, which he's in the process of changing back. So as soon as the paperwork's through I'll be a standard Y-reg again. I find M4X JF written in a scripty font so embarrassing!!

He's tinted the windows too, but I really like it, it's probably the most subtle tint available, so not to chavvy, I think goes well with the black.

The was one more thing I'm worried about though, please somebody set me straight!
Within 15 minutes of buying the car and setting off home, I was in City mode. Once while pulling up to the lights, the car started juddering horrendously and trying to pull me forward into the car in front! I was stamping on the brake to try and stop it, and eventually (God knows how, it was happening so fast!) thought to knock the lever into Neutral.
Scared the life out of me! It seemed that perhaps the gearbox didn't change itself down, and was coming to a standstill in 3rd or 4th and therefore struggling not to stall.
• Does this mean there's a major gearbox fault? Or that the Selespeed needs calibrating? Or software needs updating? Anybody else had this happen?

Luckily that fault's never happened since (Only been driving it for one day though!!) So I hope it's a rarity!

• One other thing was once, while pulling away up a hill, the car juddered the same again, this time there was a light on the dash (traction control maybe? - a warning triangle with part of a circle around it) A fault, or was I just wheelspinning without realising it?!

• Also, the Selespeed takes ages to change. Is that normal? The guy I bought it from said it takes longer from the paddles than it does from the stick, but I think neither are very instant.

If you can advise me on any of my little niggles it would be appreciated! I'm still loving the experience of driving it, I just want to tweak it so it's perfect!! I don't want to sound like I don't love the 147! it just needs some detailing! I think it's truly beautiful, and a gorgeous drive!

Thanks

I'll get some pics up tomorrow, after I've given it it's first wash & wax!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed what a long post that was! Well done if you got through it!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havent broken the news to them yet! lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate! If I do say so myself I've never seen another anything like as nice!! But the alfa kicks its arse for toys, comfort and power, and looks less dated!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yea must admit Ben, I have always liked the look of Bravo's, and yours looks outstanding! But now your a Sele'y man. Just hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! Pretty sure you must be a clued up guy knowing how to shine your chariot up, so will not bore you on that subject, only to say got a reasonable finish on the front of my Selespeed, using cellulose flat and lacquer. All the best, Z.F.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Zulu, but please bore me! What should I do to my paintwork??! Should I get it repainted? Or is there a wonder fix?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not at all an an authority on the subject, but have to admit there are some superb finishes being done out there by the new systems of cosmetic repairs. I had the CD sent from someone who was called, Smart---- something or other, lost the pesky thing unfortunately! Most impressive, water based paints/ dried in a flash, accelerated by I think it was U.V. Then lacquered for an apparently perfect finish. I think there are a number using these contemporary re-finishing methods, so the choice is yours, preferably by recommendation. I would certainly, personally, give them a try, need arising..Z.F.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
P.S. If you fancy DIY ing, I have a Binks Bullows Barracuda, 8" Fan,(OK no it ain't HVLP) that performs well, plus an AID, for primer if you are interested. Keeping my compressr to inflate tyres. Also loads of other old stuff as I really!!! retire. you know, OA Portapack, Mig, Haltrac/MiniHoist,etc.etc. Probably not supposed to advertise, so this maybe censored, but would like my trusty gear to go to a good home! Like Me!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've not noticed any difference between using paddles vs gearstick? It does change up faster if the accelerator is >60% depressed and >5000rpm.

When was the cam belt and associated tensioners/pulleys replaced?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't look like the cambelt has ever been done!! I'm trying to book in it this week! Hopefully at Alfaworkshop, as it's not far from me, and I saw that post about Cambelts done for £270 on a 2.0

May mention a couple of things to them while I'm there, the gearbox that forgot to change down, the engine light staying on, and both the airbag lights

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gave it a clean today and took some pics. There's a few little chips, hopefully most will be lost with a colourwax thingy? Looks lovely clean though in the black! Just needs lowering and clear side repeaters methinks!

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any Ideas about a broken LCD anyone? It's backlight is lighting up, but it's not displaying anything on the bottom half? Loose connection or knackered screen?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well Done!! Nice looking Selespeed.

I too bought one on a whim on Friday.

5-dr Selespeed with black leather and nav+ on a 51 plate with 39k on the clock.

How do you find the Selespeed? Have you got used to it yet?

R to the D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I find it pretty slow to change, but I'm getting used to it!
Read above though, about it trying to kill me! I'd be interested to know if it's likely to happen again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too would be interested to hear the outcome of that.

Have you driven it in traffic yet? How does it work when you are crawling along in rush hour?

R to the D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The change between first and second is pretty jumpy, the worst of the lot, so I'd much prefer a manual in slow traffic situatuins. Maybe mine needs calibrating or something?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts