Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to spec a 5 series to compare costs and when it came to options I was astounded. Sure you can have a 5 series for R670k but what are the options worth? How about R17k for electric seats with memory? You bet. I want that. I also want their top of the range sound system at R40k. And their individual rear reading lights at R4700. For roof mounted lights! Yep. My 159 got them for free. Then there is the pdc display also standard on my 159ti front and rear, but with BMW this will cost me an additional R14k. Seatbelt warning ding? R550. Cheap. But in order to homologate for Euro Ncap this has to be standard? And surely this is just a yes/no setting on BMWecuScan? Headlight auto adjustment. Should be standard on Xenons by law. But BMW is above the law. This is an expensive option. Around R8k iirc.

I didn't click the "indicator lights" option. This is a BMW after all. Everyone knows you own the road. And I probably saved around R200k on the price because of that. But I got internet for R1700 so I can google while iDrive. See what I did there? iDrive? ?

Road side assistance has a cost to it. So does "consierge service" which means you get delivered to your place of work and collected when something on your bmw goes faulty or it needs a service (except for indicators. They still haven't worked out a fix for that.). You also pay extra for "standard" items on other cars like the infotainment screen (surely this should be integrated at this level?) and auto dimming interior mirrors (R1700)...

They even charge extra for folding rear seats, and above that you pay extra for the hole left when you fold down the rear seat arm rest. A hole should be free dammit! :irked: Run flat tires are free but what if you leave that block unchecked. Do you get a spare wheel free? Nope. My 159 has a full spare in the same alloy wheel design as the other 4 wheels on my car.

So really when you buy a BMW for the sum as advertised you get a toilet plus all the foul smelling nasty air inside. Actually you get that brown log that you usually flush down the toilet. The rest you have to pay for. And people still say Alfas are expensive to buy new!?

My next step is to see what you actually get with your M3/4 when you buy it for retail price. Maybe that would make paying a bar and a half for Giulia more digestible. :readit:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
actually the bigger problem with the Audi and BMW is you can't have a standard car with no options, caus they don't import any bog standard versions. So they lure you in with a nice starting price but they physically cannot provide you with a car for that price.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The one positive out of all of those is that the seatbelt warning ding is optional.

I don't need an annoying beep every time I am just driving the car into another spot in a parking lot or around the house or something like that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ian did you go through the 'build your car' process and come out with a number if you add ALL the options?

When I test drove the 535i back in 2011 or so, whenever that gen came out, my press vehicle had R350k worth of options. That was more than half the standard model's purchase price. And I don't think they had even ticked everything.

Speaking of sound systems, the top spec Burmester system in the AMG GTS I had the other day was an additional R75k. I think ze Germans have gone mental.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
They are not mental for charging that much for sound systems. They know their customers. The people who want to car to drive will not get the sound system option, as they won't be listening to anything except the engine in the car most of the time.
The people who buy the car to be a big blingy disco glitter ball to match their diamond-studded golden monogram on a chain around their necks will get the R75k sound system, as they only want the car to impress their vacuous friends who know nothing about cars.

The best money-making strategy would therefore be:
1. Base sound system is pretty crappy - crappy enough that people will want something better.
2. Offer an upgraded sound system for R10k to R15k, still without a fancy brand name, but better sound. Most enthusiastic drivers will get this, as it seems cheap as opposed to the R75k option.
3. Offer a ridiculously-priced top-of-the-range sound system for R75k for the empty-headed people.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They are not mental for charging that much for sound systems. They know their customers. The people who want to car to drive will not get the sound system option, as they won't be listening to anything except the engine in the car most of the time.
The people who buy the car to be a big blingy disco glitter ball to match their diamond-studded golden monogram on a chain around their necks will get the R75k sound system, as they only want the car to impress their vacuous friends who know nothing about cars.

The best money-making strategy would therefore be:
1. Base sound system is pretty crappy - crappy enough that people will want something better.
2. Offer an upgraded sound system for R10k to R15k, still without a fancy brand name, but better sound. Most enthusiastic drivers will get this, as it seems cheap as opposed to the R75k option.
3. Offer a ridiculously-priced top-of-the-range sound system for R75k for the empty-headed people.
Fair point. I'll correct my statement then. Their customers, who go for that option, are mental.

And you're quite right, I'd be happy with no sound system if I could live with that exhaust note everyday.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's like the R2 million or whatever the price was 50 year old Johnny Walker they were selling at Makro.
No real whisky connoisseur would buy that. If they have the money, they'd rather buy a whole range of great whiskys costing R1k to R5k per bottle.

It's only the empty-headed nouveau riche who buy the million-rand bottle as a status symbol, even though if you'd give them a tumbler of White Horse and a tumbler of 18 year old Laphroaig they'd probably taste no difference, and add Sprite to both.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ian did you go through the 'build your car' process and come out with a number if you add ALL the options?

When I test drove the 535i back in 2011 or so, whenever that gen came out, my press vehicle had R350k worth of options. That was more than half the standard model's purchase price. And I don't think they had even ticked everything.

Speaking of sound systems, the top spec Burmester system in the AMG GTS I had the other day was an additional R75k. I think ze Germans have gone mental.
Wait, you had a AMG GTS??

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
It's like the R2 million or whatever the price was 50 year old Johnny Walker they were selling at Makro.
No real whisky connoisseur would buy that. If they have the money, they'd rather buy a whole range of great whiskys costing R1k to R5k per bottle.

It's only the empty-headed nouveau riche who buy the million-rand bottle as a status symbol, even though if you'd give them a tumbler of White Horse and a tumbler of 18 year old Laphroaig they'd probably taste no difference, and add Sprite to both.
Sprite...:beer:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The one positive out of all of those is that the seatbelt warning ding is optional.

I don't need an annoying beep every time I am just driving the car into another spot in a parking lot or around the house or something like that.
When I get into a car or bus or aeroplane or motorcycle the first thing I do is buckle up. If there are no seatbelts, I get out. hence I don't do motorcycles. So I therefore don't even hear the beep because it doesn't have time to come on. It's a safety mindset.

A friend of mine literally lost his face moving from one spot to another because his airbags went off in his face as he hit something and was thrown forward. All the skin on his face was off, and he was in pain for weeks. I don't even think you can imagine that if you wanted to.

For me it's like ear plugs or a helmet: When I enter a noise zone, my hands automatically search for my ear plugs. To the point where I feel uncomfortable without them. Same with seatbelts: I can't even sit and listen to music in a car without having my seatbelt on. A cousin of mine ended in hospital for 6 weeks when he came off his quad bike that he was "just riding from the front of the house to the back". He didn't have his helmet on. He was severely concussed to the point that it looked like he was beaten up: Blue eyes, severely swollen head and unconscious.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
When I get into a car or bus or aeroplane or motorcycle the first thing I do is buckle up. If there are no seatbelts, I get out. hence I don't do motorcycles. So I therefore don't even hear the beep because it doesn't have time to come on. It's a safety mindset.
Good point. I was referring to situations like moving a car into a garage after it has been washed and the like, but even then I do normally automatically buckle up - not always, though.
My comment was inspired by some time I spent with a French rental car for some tourism in another part of the world. Often, near specific "off the beaten track" things to see, it was not clear where one should park. So I would park, get out of the car to have a quick look around to spy where a good parking spot would actually be - often a hundred metres or so ahead on a deserted stretch of road in an otherwise featureless landscape. Then get back in the car and quickly move it the required distance without putting on the seatbelt, with the car beeping like mad.

The point about the airbags is good, though. In a car without them, a minor bump at low speed would likely not injure you if not wearing a seatbelt. However, with airbags, that could be a totally different scenario as you get hit in the face much harder than intended by the airbag if you are unrestrained. Some are designed not to go off when the seatbelt is not buckled, though.

My usual routine for getting into a car is as follows: Sit down, buckle seatbelt, clutch in, adjust gear if necessary, foot on the brake, switch engine on, let down handbrake, drive off and lastly lock the doors.

I am also often amazed at people who do not buckle the seatbelts on buses (which normally come with them equipped these days). What do they imagine will happen to them in the event of an accident? They'll just fly happily around in the bus interior?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts