Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to go downgrade From Bi Xenon to H7 Headlights, I know that in head light there was a socket missing? How can I put those new headlights?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Well that's a first for me....not heard of anyone wanting less light! Whats the reason....cost of replacements? Sorry I cant help with the information you need though....Im sure someone who does know will be along shortly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Someone hit me last month. Car is on repair. They painted whole car. Now I want new headlights. But they are expensive in Turkey. 900€ each if its original Bi-xenon. Second hands are broken, or color changed due to sunburn. I've bought two (left - right)H7 headlights, I may open it and changed the glass and casing. But My friend told me don't go that way. Plug it and buy a good H7.

:paranoid: I'm left alone with my thoughts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I would think you could remove ballast and find the power supply to turn on and use that to power the H7. I would imagine you will get a xenon/sled levelling fault triggered on the dash though?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Buy a second hand Bi Xenon.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-BRERA-159-GENUINE-LEFT-HAND-PASSENGER-XENON-HEADLIGHT-60695977/293022623782?hash=item4439826826:g:yWIAAOSwJrpcmgAL

Check with the seller - the pictured light is the right side one....

My car has BiXenons and I want to fit Angel Eyes. I've bought a pair of BiXenons to cut the lenses off and a pair of standard lights to cut the back off to replace the BiXenon fronts. Having both on the shelf I've compared the bodies and they differ in the ballast housing area under the outer lamps.

They have the same connection points on the back of the body BUT the pin arrangements are completely different so they won't just plug and play.

Guy

·
Registered
717 Posts
H7 in 159 are really poor, bixenon are OK. I did all the effort including retrofitting all looms, leveling sensors etc to put xenons lamps on my former 159 TBi (for months I could not find 2nd hand TBi in right spec so decided for one without xenons, and first time I drove it at night I nearly cried - I had comparison to my 2nd former 159 JTDM which had xenons).
reflectors in used xenons (as they do in H7) gets burned over time, but there are companies (at least in Poland) who do reconditioning.

if somebody hit your car, can't you make claim on his insurance (or yours if you do not know who it was but have at least full insurance)?

but still, ansering original question (without recommending going that way). majority of pre-facelift 159s had complete looms, so you just stick H7s and they work.cant remember after years since retrofitting mines, maybe at worse you need to remove connections at pins which are used for communication between left and right xenon and from xenon to BCM - again can;t remember, maybe some of these pins overlap manual levelling.
for going from H7 to xenon I only analyzed eLearn schematics for older cars (it was 2006 eLearn, no TBI 2010 I was dealing with), but all matched. get somebody who understands car electrics/schematics - it was nothing difficult (if you really need to go to H7, but I repeat, do not go this route unless you have to, xenons are the right lamps to use)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I believe on the factory xenons there is a short secondary wiring loom that connects to the standard loom to power/activate the xenons as I have seen these short looms for sale - they have the plugs on both ends.
I imagine the standard loom would just connect to the rear of the standard lights and couldn't the xenon levellers be deactivated - the xenons are listed in MES?

·
Registered
717 Posts
@emre2blue below is instruction and pdfs on how to retrofit xenons/headlamp washers/leveling and panel to car with H7 and no xenon looms. it is in Polish, use google translate, I guess best to English as if you go to Turkish it may not be understandable at all. you would need to analyze schematics (compare H7 with xenons) and more or less act in opposite order. note, that some cars have all looms in place so modification may be easire, other not and then you need to move more pins etc.
https://www.forum.alfaholicy.org/zrob_to_sam/139780-_159_doloznie_instalacji_xenonow_spryskiwaczy.html
IMHO (without looking at schematics), if you just disconnect master-slave communication between lamps maybe some 3 lines (speed signal and CAN from left lamp) from BCM and change positions of GND and (if I remember correclty) pin to which main headlights connect, you will have straight away working H7s.

you shoudl add panel with manual leveling and connect it as per schematics.
Anyway

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
I'd be fitting the HID bits into the new casing.

I would not be downgrading from HID to Halogen.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
....but under the new regs he wouldn't (or at least shouldn't....there are those on here that seem to "pass" with them) the current MOT.

EDIT....forget that...hes in Turkey! Im sure its not the same rules over there. In fact last time I was there I doubt there are any rules on car safety (or driving ability) at all!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, Good afternoon

Thank you for all the examples and Ideas. I've got the car from workshop. :party:

I did not put new H7 lights. I want to keep the Bi-Xenon setup. I will open the glass and put Rings and hopely I will install Bi-Xenon inside to the new H7 Housings. I know ballast will now fit Plug&Play Buy I think I can handle it. Any way I want to ask a new question. Inside the Glass there is a Lens, Is H7 Lens and Xenon lens same ? My Old lens has marks on it. And second hand lens as well. Maybe I will renew all of them ?

@alfaitalia You are right about regulations. But for many years Turkey has TUV to control vehicle safety. And government lets them decide the rules. So I cannot put Xenon to H7 Setup. I cannot pass. Car has to have automatic leveling system installed if car uses Xenon Light.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The outer plastic lenses look the same to me but the inner parts are different, the BiXenon lamps have a shorter chromed inner than the H7 one. The body for the two types appear to be different too, there are mounting bosses for the ballast units on the BiXenons that aren't there on the H7 variety. I haven't dismantled anything yet but I'm sure there are electrical connections underneath.
I'm on a waiting list for the Halo conversion at which point I'm going to take the lenses off the H7's by destroying the bodies and vice versa on the BiXenons before reassembling the bits to make one good set with halo lights.
Good luck dismantling everything!
Guy

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well you started me tinkering this afternoon.
The black outer housing, three inner chromed segments and the plastic lenses all have identical part numbers so will be interchangeable between H7 & BiXenon lamps.
I may have more news later today if disassembly goes well!
Guy

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The BiXenon projector assembly definitely intrudes further into the clear plastic lense, there's also an inner reflector assembly that drops out of the plastic lense once the lense is separated from the black body, that's a BiXenon specific part but it will transfer across to an H7 body. So, if you can assemble the BiXenon projector into the H7 body along with the internal reflector (and the Halo ring conversion) I cannot see why it wouldn't all work.
But I haven't yet dismantled a BiXenon lamp unit. And probably won't until the ring kit arrives.
Guy

·
Registered
260 Posts
PS I have an original Bi - Xenon lamp that I have (super cheap) that had one of the brackets inside the lamp cracked by an idiot courier if anyine is looking - pm me.
It's only one of the locating screws of the internal frame that the lamp fittings screw into and should easily plastic weld.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts