Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't that weird? Wanted a Brera for 5 years. Have had one for 1.5 year (1.8 TI). Swapped a GT 2.0 Blackline for it. It is a beauty, engine is reasonably powerful and it is not at all boring to drive. So why do I want a GT 3.2?

Is it like going out with a 23 year old model, suddenly realizing that her mum is far more attractive? ;)

Sorry; I'm after the power, the non-turbo and the roar. But maybe also not having a brand new car. It sounds spoilt, and this is my first new one ever, but it IS a constant worry having a new car.

Oh, well, oh well...

Happy Christmas to all! (is that an british way of saying it, or just something east middlandish?)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went from a GT 1.9 JTD to a 159 ti 1.9JTDm

Both nice cars in their own right. Prefer the ti though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
interesting, I understand completely. Recently changed my 147 for a Mito; was considering a GT at the time. Now 3 months down the line... wish I bought the GT. The Mito is nice but lacks the soul and character that made me fall in love with Alfas, all too artificial.

Very wondered about where Alfa is going with its cars. They're not as pretty, feel electronic and are missing that magic :cry:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ummm. The Mito is designed as part of a marketing strategy - to attract the younger driver to the Alfa marque. Then when there hooked they buy a bigger one.

Your right though, the 147, GT, 156 platform has soul.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ummm. The Mito is designed as part of a marketing strategy - to attract the younger driver to the Alfa marque. Then when there hooked they buy a bigger one.

Your right though, the 147, GT, 156 platform has soul.
Except there isn't a bigger one to buy any longer.

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Fancied a GT with a V6 but I wanted the Busso version and they are as rare as hens teeth :(

I couldn't afford to run a V6 with the milage I do so the compromise was a mapped 1.9 and I loved it :)

Not as much as the Cup but I did love it ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
We've got one. The Brera is better:D
I saw a Brera S in the flesh the other day and it was much, much more special looking than I ever thought from pictures. However, it still doesn't do it for me quite. I don't know what it is. Maybe if I drove a Brera or a GT, I might feel differently, but I absolutely adore the GT and I'm a bit meh about the Brera.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I do like the GT 3.2 but for some reason the 156 GTA is better IMO although I'd still buy one for sure. Can't get excited by newer alfa's :( although I do like the mito. The brera/spider and 159 are just too fat although the 159 ti wagon does look spangly:cool: They are heavy and slow even in 3.2 form and so if i was going to buy that engine I'd get it in the saab 93 turbo x which is a monster. I can't understand how alfa can get it so wrong with the same engine when saab got it so right :(. As for the brera s. what a marketing fail. Looks like it should be soooo quick but it isn't. That chassis is ripe for 400 horses with a better suspension set up but it never got what it deserved. I even see in aroc mag that the lead engineer behind its design was giving tips on handling. Perhaps he should go back and look what he failed to create before he preaches to us.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I do like the GT 3.2 but for some reason the 156 GTA is better IMO although I'd still buy one for sure. Can't get excited by newer alfa's :( although I do like the mito. The brera/spider and 159 are just too fat although the 159 ti wagon does look spangly:cool: They are heavy and slow even in 3.2 form and so if i was going to buy that engine I'd get it in the saab 93 turbo x which is a monster. I can't understand how alfa can get it so wrong with the same engine when saab got it so right :(. As for the brera s. what a marketing fail. Looks like it should be soooo quick but it isn't. That chassis is ripe for 400 horses with a better suspension set up but it never got what it deserved. I even see in aroc mag that the lead engineer behind its design was giving tips on handling. Perhaps he should go back and look what he failed to create before he preaches to us.
Id love to get a black facelift v6 brera with awd and slap a maserti v8 in it.

I wonder if it would fit?

Btw my Brera only weighs 25 klos more than your GTA

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Sorry to break it to you Joss but a 3.2 Q4 Brera will rub you GTA's nose in it on anything other than an arrow straight super smooth road, and if said road was wet, the Brera would spank it all over again, even with a Q2 fitted. Sad but true!

As Nigel pointed out in the AROC article, the GTA's were just marketting as the A (for lightness) was given to the heaviest car in the range.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm fortunate to have 159 and V6 GT, although not on the road at the same time... Always want to get in the GT and hear the engine, sat in the garage in it the other night with the engine running in the huggy seats and it felt good... But when I drive it the rattles p*** me off... Hoping to get it back to better than new in the coming year.

The 159 does feel a little unwieldy In comparison but I still like to drive it and it's rattle free and easy to drive!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Sorry to break it to you Joss but a 3.2 Q4 Brera will rub you GTA's nose in it on anything other than an arrow straight super smooth road, and if said road was wet, the Brera would spank it all over again, even with a Q2 fitted. Sad but true!
Could well be true, but I still wouldn't swap the Gta for a Brera and as for the 159, I reckon I'd rather have an Audi!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
195 is a much better place to be when your driving than either an Audi or BMW for that matter....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
195 is a much better place to be when your driving than either an Audi or BMW for that matter....
Is that a new model:lol:

My 159 was lovely. My only mistake was not buying the 3.2 Q4 Ti:(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts