Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a month! Firstly the alternator goes and dies, and it turns out that this is one of the worst things to change on a V6. No small expense. So then i drive about 20 miles and i really need the front discs and pads changed (they have needed doing for awhile), so i get those done. Nice smile everything is running fine.

Then on my next trip out in the car the the auxilary belt snaps and wraps itselfs everywhere. I have to say my first thoughts were that is must have been put back on incorrectly when the alternator was changed.

Anyway paid to get the car towed back to the garage and today it has been diagnosed with a failed water pump, that made the auxilary belt fail, bits of this have gotten into the cam belt area and the cam belt has several teeth have come off the cam belt. It looks like the engine is a right off. Has anybody else ever experienced this? Do i have any options besides getting a reconditioned engine or a new car? Replacing the engine looks like about 13 hours labour plus buying the actual engine.

Sad days :cry:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would say buying an engine or getting a new car is your only course of action I'm afraid.

Terrible luck mate! :(

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say buying an engine or getting a new car is your only course of action I'm afraid.

Terrible luck mate! :(
Cheers for the reply. Its emotional i can say :cry: She only had 65k on the clock as well. Might have to save pennies for a new engine, the V6's seem to be getting rarer over here.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Is the engine actually shot? Our 2.5 jumped a load of teeth, the MCSF light came on etc.....but when a new belt was put on it, it was fine. If the belt has completely gone, then yes, it is likely to be toast. Worth putting a new belt on just to check.

If it is bust, are you any good with spanners? I am doing exactly this job on a GT, and while it is a lot of work, there is nothing terribly hard in there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the engine actually shot? Our 2.5 jumped a load of teeth, the MCSF light came on etc.....but when a new belt was put on it, it was fine. If the belt has completely gone, then yes, it is likely to be toast. Worth putting a new belt on just to check.

If it is bust, are you any good with spanners? I am doing exactly this job on a GT, and while it is a lot of work, there is nothing terribly hard in there.
I am not that good with spanners, although I have done a few cylinder head on mini's and MG', unfortunately though I just don't have a garage or the facilities now.

The garage seem to think its a goner by the way the engine sounds when they turn the engine by hand, but I with enquire with how cheap it would be just to try a new belt.

On the good news front, I have hand a look around at cars and decided there is just nothing like a GTV and so will get it fixed at some point even if the new engine costs nearly as much as the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts