Alfa Romeo Forum banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Thanks that’s good news, as a child of the 70’s I’m looking forward to the nostalgic bum burning!
Remember the rule, carry a towel in the car in summer if wearing shorts!

Reactions: SimonGTV

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Heater box done, it was all in very good condition especially compared to some of the images on line. No sign of corrosion anywhere from water ingress. Fan motor bench tested as fine for both speeds, bearing good, no play and fan spins for a bit after power disconnected. A couple of holes drilled in the casing under the motor for good measure. It’s got the plastic valve which I can’t open up but it’s very clean and the operation is nice and smooth. Matrix also looks in very good condition, the only sign was a slight weep around the value gasket which I’ve resealed.
Fingers crossed then
and if anyone can spot anything I’ve missed as I know I don’t want to have to take this out again!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's looking really good. Your seats would make a nice feature 3-piece suite with some legs on.

Have you checked flow through the heater valve? They can swell up inside and block the flow. I had to change it on my S4 and its not a fun job with the matrix in situ.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Thanks, no I didn’t check the flow, just run water through it?

I know, if it was my decision they’d still be there but I was told to put them back in the attic!

On another note, I spoke to the body shop yesterday, they’re back in and I should have the shell back for the end of the month!!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Thanks, I’ve flushed in from both directions and the flow is strong however it doesn’t change when the valve is open and closed??

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Yes I think so, It all connected up to the sink tap I’m shifting the lever, cable actuates the value to open and close but no change in the water flow.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
then my guess would be the diaphragm is split. It should turn off, or you will have very hot feet in summer.
I presume you are not using full kitchen tap pressure.....I doubt the water pressure in the heater hoses is that great.
Is yours a plastic valve with rivets or a metal valve with screws?

I once bought a new plastic valve, fitted it (pita, but doable lying on your back!) went up the road and it had a slow leak.....the plastic valves are riveted, and the water was seeping out the middle joint...on a brand new valve! You kinda don't generally check new parts before fitting....I do now!

now I notice that CA says 'due to quality isssues' these are presently not available.....thats good, because the R&R of that little sob twice in 2 days is no fun, believe me.
CA now sell have the same later valve in metal, that is screwed together, so I guess you can replace the diaphragm separately now.

If the plastic type, you could drill out the rivets and check, then replace with little screws, like here:
Replaced my Heater Control Valve last night...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Thanks Dom, yes something’s not right. Mine is the plastic one, I did use the garage sink tap but not at full blast. I’ll try again with low pressure but it looks like I’d be wise to replace the whole thing. I’ll open it up to see if anything’s obvious.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
With the paint about to go on I’m getting the jitters about the colour choice. I’d always been set on the grey metallic with red or black interior but now I’ve gone for the black interior I’m worried that the grey although a period colour isn’t 70’s enough for the period look.
It’s interesting that my general view of the car has also changed as I’ve gone on. Initially I was into the resto mod idea and especially as the car was an SA build I thought I needn’t be bound by originality however as I’ve gone on I’ve realised just how good every part of the car is and my focus has definitely changed to preserving the originality and soul of the car where possible. This is highlighted as my thoughts have always looked forward to fitting a Momo Prototipo as the finishing touch but now I can’t see it and am currently restoring the original Personal wheel.
Anyway to the point! I’m now thinking about amarante as the colour but I can’t find any pics of coupes but this is the general idea, 70’s elegant cool?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
That’s the Rosso Prugna which is a plum pinky colour, the same as the Giulia I had. The amarante is a darker maroon colour, looks a more like classy imho. Not the best pic but all I could find, obviously not a popular choice.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
You’re right about the grey and red interior going together but the reason I changed my mind from red to grey is because I thought the veneered headrest supports (my favourite part of the seats) looked better against the black!

Here’s another pic of the
maroon but to complicate things more, the amarante and prugna cars have tan interiors!

I don’t remember the naming of my children being this stressful ?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Last of the interior parts refurbished, door cards, a few other trim bits and the steering wheel. I’ll hopefully be able to track down a replacement lower trim strip. The existing door furniture is either tatty and or mismatched so I’ll be buying new when the time comes.
As the arm rests were tatty and I prefer the cleaner lines I thought I’d go for the GTA style door pulls. I then saw that they were £275 each plus vat wtf! So I bought a pair of guitar amp grab handles and replaced the rubber strap with strips from a leather belt I had, £18 all in.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I think that i might have only just seen your posts about the proposed external colour and I think that it looks lovely - has the car been painted yet?

*Also, nice looking stereo

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
I’m back to the grey now, it’s still not painted and it feels like it’s really dragging now as each promised finish date passes by. I spoke to him last week and he promised i’d have it back within two weeks but I’ve heard that before. It has moved onto final pre paint prep though but there still seems a lot to do.

Reactions: Starkers
221 - 240 of 242 Posts