Alfa Romeo Forum banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Thanks Steve, I’ve ordered some of the 3M stuff.

I was wondering what to do with the broken and missing bits but I’ve had good results with Q Bond which is the powder and super glue product. A couple of bits were missing, notably the hole sections at each end of the brace under the ash tray. I used masking tape to form the shape I needed, filled with the powder and glue and in 10 minutes it was rock hard and I was able to drill the holes and sand it back.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Is Q Bond a new product? looks like it has delivered a solid result? Would you recommend it Simon?

Thanks Steve, I’ve ordered some of the 3M stuff.

I was wondering what to do with the broken and missing bits but I’ve had good results with Q Bond which is the powder and super glue product. A couple of bits were missing, notably the hole sections at each end of the brace under the ash tray. I used masking tape to form the shape I needed, filled with the powder and glue and in 10 minutes it was rock hard and I was able to drill the holes and sand it back. View attachment 934316

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I think it’s quite new, I bought it a while ago thinking it would come in handy some time and yes it was idea for this repair.
Its on eBay and Amazon etc

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Has anyone fitted the replacement chrome beading for the dash and centre console? The turns on the original look to be pre shaped or moulded and I’m finding it very difficult to go around a corner without it creasing and raising up. I’ve tried pinching it back down as well as warming it up but I’m not happy with the finish and I haven’t even started on the tricky bits!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Looks like there should be a special tool for that, maybe a brake pipe bender but you'd have to stop the sides from spreading

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
this is just a guess, but it looks like is there a little "snip" on the underside of the original bead on the corners......that might relieve pressure and keep it from creasing as you form the curve? Presuming you then wouldn't see the snip when it is all fitted back.

ON BB one guy had the same problem, went through untold meters of the Classic alfa beading and was getting very peeved off...in the end he made a template of the wood in aluminium, then with a heat gun (not too hot or the stuff yellows!), formed the beading around the template...then fitted it to the wood.....I can imagine with aluminium you have more strength to work things (w/o fearing you snap the wood) but that method sounds like a lot of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Thanks both,

I like the template idea, I can easily make one up and see how I go with a bit of heat, snipping and plenty of patience.

The beading on the original dash veneer isn’t too bad so I’ll how that polishes up as there are some very tight turns on there.

With regard to the veneers, do these needed treating beforehand. The originals seem to be varnished but the new ones are so thin I’m worried that the moisture of the varnish might warp them. Maybe a wax instead?

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Using a good spirit based varnish would be better none of that water based rubbish, I think wax would be a problem especially with the heat generated inside in summer

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Thanks I hadn’t thought about the heat. I did buy a good Ronseal varnish that was perfect for the steering wheel but that’s water based, why are they rubbish?
I’ve been distracted by the 924 today but I did replace the backing on the map pocket and clean it all up.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
All done and I’m very pleased with how they’ve turned out.
I made a template and once I’d got used to how to work the edging material it wasn’t too bad, thankfully the strip for the dash polished up a treat so that saved a bigger job. The radius on the top returns of the veneer were just too tight for a curve so I used mortar joints, maybe not factory but the finish is so much better.
I used the varnish I had and the finish is lovely so all good.

Seats next.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Looks great Simon , nice job, hopefully water based varnish has moved on a bit, I used it on a wooden floor years ago (it said it was suitable) and it was terrible, slightest drop of anything would stain it so have always used the smelly stuff since

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Well that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. It’s pretty good but I’m not totally happy with the wings so I’m going to move onto the other cushions then come back and try and retention them.
The frames were border line but there was some rust so they were stripped, treated and repainted. I covered the foam with 10mm fire retardant wadding to plump them up then added additional strips to the wings. Luckily the coat hangers from my daughters wardrobe were a great match for the rods!

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Simon that's some excellent work you're doing - just caught up with your progress - very impressive stuff!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Thanks, I wish I’d got the shell back in time but there’s still plenty of jobs for me to be getting on with!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
The seats are finished, they were a lot harder and way more time consuming than I’d thought, especially as they were fully stripped down and all component parts serviced and painted. They’ve turned out pretty well though so it’s been well worth doing as has saved a chunk of cash.

Reactions: roony

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Well done Simon. You will find that the little kinks on some of the edges will soon disapper once they are in the car and have had some sun on them to soften them, then you sitting in, burning your bum!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Thanks that’s good news, as a child of the 70’s I’m looking forward to the nostalgic bum burning!

201 - 220 of 242 Posts