Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I couldn't leave this orphan all alone so close to Christmas so I brought it home this morning!

It's a 1973 2000 GTV, originally a SA car but brought into the UK 16 years ago by the previous owner who'd owned it for 8 years in SA before bringing it home. Being an engineer, he apparently rebuilt the engine, gearbox, diff and brakes when it came back plus switched to U.K. clocks but then never drove the car over here and its sat in storage for 14 years. It's had a couple of bad paint jobs, original colour is a light green that I haven't seen before but matches the green Momos! Body is good, still on original sills, spot welds still visible between all inner and outer wing lips. The only previous repairs are a fist sized fibreglass patch to the drivers floor, all other usual areas are good though the near side rear wing may be hiding some surprises! I paid £4900 which I think is pretty reasonable.

My plan is to go all out on this one, bare metal then fast road spec. I've got just over 3 years until my 50th so that's my target date. The only downside is that something else has got to go to fund the resto.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good project.
the momo vegas look original will bring in a little starting capital;)
Thanks, yes speced from new apparently, there are 4 green and the spare is a 'normal' black one. What do you think they are worth?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If original at least a grand.. I would have thought... Looks like you have picked the car up for a great price?

Thanks, yes speced from new apparently, there are 4 green and the spare is a 'normal' black one. What do you think they are worth?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
well, they won't pay for the full restoration! :)))
difficult to say a price, but the replicas cost about 650 (ink Vat) for 4.

selling rims always stumbles a bit on shipping/postage costs...last restored set of 4 went, I believe, for around 1500 $ in the US but shipping them out there would be too costly.

must be a few people who'd want these rims....they always seem to sell when they (albeit infrequently) turn up on fleabay.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both, yes that would certainly help out and I think I'm going to need all the help I can muster! I've not decided yet but when you consider the refurb cost plus limited choice of 14 inch tyres I think moving them on wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm always looking too but I suppose I got lucky with this one. The owner gave it to a small dealer in Manchester to sell who mostly deals in British stuff, he posted on a 105 Facebook page to test the water, I replied straight away and he was good enough to give me first refusal. He wanted to put it on eBay but I knew I had to get it before then, I think it would have gone for more but then you never know?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
If original at least a grand.. I would have thought... Looks like you have picked the car up for a great price?
Really! - good job I've got locking wheel nuts and agreed valuation, think you'll find them cheaper than that but they rarely come up for sale, also they do degrade and if the inner rims are affected you'll never get a seal, mine had some corrosion shown up by the blasters but luckily nothing too serious.., great project Simon, good luck, those SA cars can be great buys having seen dickymints GTV

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks both, yes that would certainly help out and I think I'm going to need all the help I can muster! I've not decided yet but when you consider the refurb cost plus limited choice of 14 inch tyres I think moving them on wouldn't be a bad idea.
Simon, limited choice of 14" rubber ? There are Continental, Michelin, Dunlop, Firestone, Kumho, Toyo, Avon CR6ZZ to name but a few, all in & around 185 x 70 x 14".
185 / 70's are a good modern compromise for what was in period, not too low a sidewall, (which also looks ridiculous), and more than wide enough to retain the famed Alfa dynamism on 51/2" to 7" rims
I put 185 x 70 x 14" Conti's on my 7 x 14" GTA wheels on the last GTA Rep, and they were superb, also had them last year on my BMW NK 2000 Ti.
I don't hold with this "lack of good tyres" business for 14" rims. As long as you're not going racing, there's plenty of top make, good fast road tyres out there in 14". I've always thought it was a ploy by a certain outfit to sell 15" wheels.
I also think 15" wheels don't look right on a Bertone Coupe., with one exception, the TZ / TI Super 5.5 x 15" , but only on the early low-arch cars.
Best looking in my opinion are either 7" X 14" GTA, or the lovely Momo's that you have.

I think you'll struggle , or be very lucky to get the big money for those lovely Momo's, shipping is expensive and a pain, and the price of a repo set means your market is extremely small, but good luck if you decide to !

BTW, you stole that car. Absolute sheds are going for way more than that. Also, that original metallic olive green is beautiful in the flesh, and very rare !

Steve

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Simon, limited choice of 14" rubber ? There are Continental, Michelin, Dunlop, Firestone, Kumho, Toyo, Avon CR6ZZ to name but a few, all in & around 185 x 70 x 14".
185 / 70's are a good modern compromise for what was in period, not too low a sidewall, (which also looks ridiculous), and more than wide enough to retain the famed Alfa dynamism on 51/2" to 7" rims
I put 185 x 70 x 14" Conti's on my 7 x 14" GTA wheels on the last GTA Rep, and they were superb, also had them last year on my BMW NK 2000 Ti.
I don't hold with this "lack of good tyres" business for 14" rims. As long as you're not going racing, there's plenty of top make, good fast road tyres out there in 14". I've always thought it was a ploy by a certain outfit to sell 15" wheels.
I also think 15" wheels don't look right on a Bertone Coupe., with one exception, the TZ / TI Super 5.5 x 15" , but only on the early low-arch cars.
Best looking in my opinion are either 7" X 14" GTA, or the lovely Momo's that you have.

I think you'll struggle , or be very lucky to get the big money for those lovely Momo's, shipping is expensive and a pain, and the price of a repo set means your market is extremely small, but good luck if you decide to !

BTW, you stole that car. Absolute sheds are going for way more than that. Also, that original metallic olive green is beautiful in the flesh, and very rare !

Steve
Agree, I've got 185/70/14 Rainsports on my Momo's and not from lack of choice, they look pretty good on 6.5 J's, I'd keep them as there's Kudos for having rare originals rather than repro's as long as they are in good condition

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks both, I think you're right Steve especially about a certain bias towards 15's and I must admit I've been suckered in. The Spider has Conti's and the Alfetta Bridgestones, both in 14's so I know you can still get them but when I was looking for some more track orientated tyres for the Alfetta the problem wasn't necessarily the size but the profile, most of the 14's being too low, certainly at the end of the price spectrum I was looking at. Maybe I just need to look a bit harder.

I hope the olive green is the original colour, if so I'll definitely be going back to that. Will have see how green wheels on a green car look though? The only thing that's definite is it's not staying red!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks both, I think you're right Steve especially about a certain bias towards 15's and I must admit I've been suckered in. The Spider has Conti's and the Alfetta Bridgestones, both in 14's so I know you can still get them but when I was looking for some more track orientated tyres for the Alfetta the problem wasn't necessarily the size but the profile, most of the 14's being too low, certainly at the end of the price spectrum I was looking at. Maybe I just need to look a bit harder.

I hope the olive green is the original colour, if so I'll definitely be going back to that. Will have see how green wheels on a green car look though? The only thing that's definite is it's not staying red!
Simon, you've done really well there. Looking forward to hearing more about the project. What must go to make the room though....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simon, you've done really well there. Looking forward to hearing more about the project. What must go to make the room though....
Thanks Dicky.

What's to go, that's my big dilemma, if it was up to my heart it would be the 911 but as it's my DD I would still have to get another car as a daily hack, this would free up some cash but doesn't help my overcrowding problem. The other option is the Alfetta which is a win win as it would free up some cash and space in the garage for the GTV restoration. It's pretty much finished now so maybe it's time to pass it on, it's going to be tough though!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might as well make this the resto thread.

I wasn't going to start until the spring but I'm itching to get going already!

First job is to get it running so I can give the mechanicals and electrics a once over. Even though everything will be stripped I think it will still be a good idea. Currently the carbs are off and brakes disconnected so you never know it might be straight forward!

Once it's stripped down I'll then have to decide how to remove the old paint. I'm going to try and do everything except the new paint so I'll speak to the body shop first but as I haven't got the money for a dip or blast, it will a choice of sanding or chemical stripping.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's all back together but I can't get it to start as there's no spark at all, it cranks over fine but no sign of starting ☹. I've read lots of old posts, mostly from me! but I'm out of ideas.

Findings so far are as follows.

Battery is fully charged.
No spark to any plugs when engine turns.
I have 12v from the coil and to the dizzy which has an accuspark fitted.
I've tried a couple of dizzy's including one with points but still nothing.
I've ran an ignition lead from directly from the coil with a plug on the end, 12v to the plug but still no spark.
Coil wiring is green ignition wire and red dizzy wire to positive and black dizzy wire to negative.
I've tried, different plugs, leads, coil and dizzy's from the spares box but still nothing.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Not quite understanding where you checked for voltage, but

I can only think of checking voltage at the green wire, both when removed from coil +ve; again when fitted to the coil....(IGN on in both cases, obviously)

Then I'd check the little wire from dizzy to coil -ve....that it is not broken somewhere along its length.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
There are two windings in an ignition coil, high tension and low tension, it seems low tension is OK, change the coil and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks both,

Dom, I didn't remove the green wire other than to clean it up, I checked the voltage by touching the +ve terminal on the coil, eartherd to the body whilst the green wire was still connected, ignition on. The accuspark'd dizzy has two wires, one to each coil terminal but I can swap it for the points one I have and check the wire to the negative side of the coil.

TD, thanks I did swap the coil, the one I have is unused that I bought for another car but didn't fit, I will triple check though and try the one from the Alfetta.

I read on another post about connecting a lead directly from the coil to a plug which would bypass the dizzy and rule it out for now. Is this a worthwhile test and if I'm still not seeing a spark does it point to the coil.

Thanks as ever.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts