Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I notice that even though there was some debate a while back that AO still thinks "Jap" is acceptable.

Let me say with the 2012 Olympics coming up, AO may be making a rod for its back by not following the rest of the world in seeing this as a racial slur. :rolleyes: There's no excuse for it.

I know that "The Spectator" is known as a right-wing magazine and boasts that it is for 'young fogeys". (i.e. Young Deadsh1ts). The Japanese Embassy complained to the magazine several months ago regarding an article. AO can sit there and censor the slang for urine but I honestly think this is more of an issue and should not be allowed so as children can see it and think it's acceptable.

I saw a friend of mine and we were watching TV with his five year daughter in the room. Something came on about about Aborigines and she said "Yuk. I hate Ab**. They are ugly, and filthy and dirty". I said to her that wasn't nice and where did she get that from. She grinned and looked at her father who went purple as a beetroot.

I really gave him a verbal lashing when we were on our own.

Anyhow this is what the Japanese Embassy wrote to "The Inspector".

Sir: I refer to the article by Rod Liddle in the 26 March edition of The Spectator. Although the focus of the article is on the events unfolding in Libya, Mr Liddle makes passing mention of the recent disaster in Japan, including use of the expression ‘white-coated Jap bloke’. May I point out that most Japanese people find the word ‘Jap’ offensive, irrespective of the circumstances in which it is used. At a time when many people in Japan have had their lives devastated by the earthquake and tsunami, while others are working tirelessly to secure the safety of the stricken nuclear plant in Fukushima at considerable risk to themselves, I find the gratuitous use of a word reviled by everyone in Japan utterly inappropriate. I strongly request that you refrain from allowing the use of this term in any future articles that refer to Japan. Ken Okaniwa
Minister, Embassy of Japan, London W1

The last time I brought this up it was suggested that after careful consideration you found that this word was acceptable. Why don't you write the Japanese embassy and see whether they agree. :confused: B.T.W. I know of a Japanese guy who has posted on AO and owns a fortune worth of Alfas himself. I guess he hasn't come across any of these posts as yet. :(

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
I find this interesting. On the face of it, and without attempting any significant research, why would Jap be insulting and would Frenchie, Eye-Tie, Russkie, Argie or Aussie be similarly insulting? It's an interesting topic.

Having said that, if offence is generally taken then it goes without saying that the phrase is unacceptable (except perhaps when referring to products of Mr J A Prestwich).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find this interesting. On the face of it, and without attempting any significant research, why would Jap be insulting and would Frenchie, Eye-Tie, Russkie, Argie or Aussie be similarly insulting? It's an interesting topic.

Having said that, if offence is generally taken then it goes without saying that the phrase is unacceptable (except perhaps when referring to products of Mr J A Prestwich).
It is interesting to look into these things and if you're not aware of history and background they are simply words. This is really dangerous when kids start using it. That was the reason why I mentioned "Ab**", (an extremely horrible word to everybody in the know), being mentioned by a 5 year old kid who was learning about them from an extremely prejudiced father. Actually she was learning how to hate.

I think with "Japs" it stemmed from World War II and how the news media and propaganda machine was using the word in the most derogatory fashion imaginable. After the War this didn't change and all the vile traits and connotations used as propaganda during the War followed this word and was still being used in peacetime. They find "Nips" less derogatory.

I think when it comes down to it, the countries/nationalities that cop the slurs are most in the right to ask for it to desist. :thumbs:

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
although I have to say I am surprised that an abbreviation can be considered so offensive :confused:
I gather it's if the abbreviation has been generally used to abuse, belittle, slur etc a particular race, then it can be seen as offensive.

Bit like the short form of Pakistani and Chinese but a 'k' or 'ky' added to end etc which is generally accepted as offensive terms.

The context with which it is used, being the old argument- has little precedence in these matters.

However, I doubt a debate is required on it as any word, as in the case of 'swear' words, that are considered offensive should be on the filter list. Unless of course it's difficult to do so as other words with the lettering might also get partly filtered/asterisked. Then common sense, rules and reporting of genuine offensive incidences applies.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Of course many of these terms loaded with history and perspective.

I'll bet there are many people who remember horrific stories about relatives who had been tortured by people from other nations during, for example, WW2 - as a result I suspect many of them will find a reason to persist with derogatory terms. Having said that, I also suspect that many of them will find a way to reconcile that resentment with their motor car purchase.

Cest La Vie.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Is Aussie allowed or is that insulting too?

Is this just a thread for a complaint to be raised and a bit of attention to be drawn to the OP?

When he mentions the shortened form of Aborigine, it's an interesting one - that word became an issue when non-indigenous people used it as a term of disrespect and an insult. So, the ones to blame for turning it into what is now considered an offensive word were not using it to describe an indigenous person (which is what Aboriginie means), but using it to describe someone else.

...or is my post complete garbage and this is just someone "being offended on behalf of someone else", PC gone mad?

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
PT14, Are you simply referring to the swear filter when you use the word "acceptable"? AO does not tolerate racism or racist slurs of any form. Is this a back handed request to add a word to the swear filter? If so, there are less controversial ways to do it. You could have simply contacted us and made a request for it to be added. :)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
PG, slightly better put than my reply, but nail on head.

Are all shortened forms of "Aborigine" banned?

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
The swear filter is exactly what it says on the tin. We can't add every word that might cause offence because, as we've found in some cases where the word appears within the spelling of another, it starts to make the forum appear like a swear fest! Obvious words have been added, but surely common sense exists to cover the use of terms which aren't strictly swearing?

As I said above, we do not tolerate racism. Report anything you see and it will be dealt with appropriately and in keeping with the rules and regulations.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The swear filter is exactly what it says on the tin. We can't add every word that might cause offence because, as we've found in some cases where the word appears within the spelling of another, it starts to make the forum appear like a swear fest! Obvious words have been added, but surely common sense exists to cover the use of terms which aren't strictly swearing?

As I said above, we do not tolerate racism. Report anything you see and it will be dealt with appropriately and in keeping with the rules and regulations.
Like I said I have reported it a couple of times. At one stage I was told that yes, the word is inappropriate to be followed later by... on further research we have decided it is acceptable within the framework of AO or words to that effect.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting one this, consider the context of the word Wog, this means something entirely different to british and australian audiences.

Wog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Words and their meanings can change with context, locality and time.
Hey I agree with you. But when the Japanese Embassy strongly emphasizes that the Japanese population find it a racial slur maybe people should listen.

This has been ongoing. I just find it ludicrous that slang for urine is verboten but a racial slur is allowed. Sorry - no excuses. Email the Embassy and give them the reasons why Britain/AO is different.

I would hate to see what would happen if you had business in Japan and spoke like that. It wouldn't be pretty.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.