Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how to go about this, I have dropped hints. A work colleague of mine who I consider a very good friend also is increasingly taking the .... with time keeping. We work a 40hr week, on top of which my commute is 1hr 30mins, hers about 30mins.

It is now 10:15 and no sign of her again. Her partner has children and increasingly she seems to use ferrying said kids about as an excuse. I get that some things are unavoidable, but this is just getting ridiculous. Why am I working a 40hr week when she's getting away with a 35ish or less!

Now to top it off, I am sat here on my own, the only in the department in as others are on holiday or out with a hospital appointment. I need to sort a VPN issue for a supplier, a problem in our transmission department and have just had the PA come over and tell me I need move our ****ing MD's printer because he wants it somewhere else in his office! :mad:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
10:45 and still no sign, just apologised to the MD for not sorting his printer earlier and got a look like he thinks I'M not pulling my weight! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
Do you have a line manager:confused:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I feel your pain - although for me, it's my boss who often doesn't turn up until gone 10am. It's 11am now and still no sign...
It's annoying for me as when I'm doing work and need a decision made on which way to proceed, I don't have anyone to ask so all I can do is hope I don't have to redo all the work again in the alternative direction...

I'm no angel when it comes to timekeeping, but I'm pretty much always in before 9.30 and always do at least the 40 hours by staying at the end of the day - often over and above. If we have a project on then I'm in early (8am - normal hours are 8.30-17.30) and also do the staying over at the end. I don't get paid overtime.
I'm fortunate in that the way we work doesn't require regimented hours, but IMO anything past 10am is taking the ****.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Eddie, You can't grass her up as it will reflect badly on you. Just take the ****** like she does. When they do notice and question it then just say well everyone else was doing 35 hour weeks so why can't I?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Eddie, You can't grass her up as it will reflect badly on you. Just take the ****** like she does. When they do notice and question it then just say well everyone else was doing 35 hour weeks so why can't I?
That's not the right approach at all, if the person is a peer and you have no direct line management you have no control over the situation. Just keep your head down and get on with your job, prioritise work as you see fit, communicate well and do whatever your MD wants first ;) Keep the boss his PA and the receptionist happy and you'll be happy ;)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
That's not the right approach at all, if the person is a peer and you have no direct line management you have no control over the situation. Just keep your head down and get on with your job, prioritise work as you see fit, communicate well and do whatever your MD wants first ;) Keep the boss his PA and the receptionist happy and you'll be happy ;)
It may not be the right approach but at least you'll feel happier:lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Phone in sick ! :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And behold it still continues.

This time, the US decide to pick yesterday to migrate the CEO's email. 9AM LA being 5PM London, and me ending up getting home late as the CEO is in the UK and muggings here gets lumbered.

Come in today, email from boss that he won't be in until 11, someone on holiday and person mentioned earlier.... no sign of them until 10:30.

US have changed CEOs password since last night, he's using a mac not on the domain so Outlook not working. Have to sort that, and then sort out his sodding blackberry.

I am left with a feeling that simultaneously I don't give enough of a ****, and give too much of a **** about this place.

Seriously thinking of a career change now :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Shame to hear this is still going on. Perhaps a carreer change maybe a good option. Then you can hand in your notice and tell them why leaving. The stupid little ***ktard to deal with all the work which of course he won't followed by him shortly being fired :cool:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I can confirm from personal experience that that does work. Especially if you are (as you seem to be) one of the more reliable people in your establishment.

It is annoying when people play the kiddie card, but that is an entirely different rant altogether.

·
Registered
37,738 Posts
Ask for a clocking in machine. Say that it will help to keep track of hours worked in the department. Failing that see what log files you can dig off the slackers PC to prove poor performance!

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Suggest the introduction of a clocking in machine.

Job jobbed.

Paying people to not be in work (when they're supposed to be) is a fool's errand.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can confirm from personal experience that that does work. Especially if you are (as you seem to be) one of the more reliable people in your establishment.

It is annoying when people play the kiddie card, but that is an entirely different rant altogether.
It's tempting! And yes don't get me started on the kiddie card. Especially when my Sister as a single parent never took the p*** or played it unnecessarily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this is potentially fraud (i assume your colleague still collects a full time salary despite working reduced hours). at best, its a breach of contract in respect of working hours.

i've just performance managed three of my social services staff out; the initial reason that i began to take an interest in their work performance was entirely related to their approach to their contracted hours - rta they were taking the pee, starting late/leaving early etc.

time to consult your policy manuals or equivalent. follow your whistleblowing procedure but dont expect your boss to welcome it or for it to be an easy time for you.

paul

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
think yourself lucky you have a job, then stop moaning about trivial things

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
The employment of the work-shy is not trivial Gaz.

There are many people crying out for work, and to find someone with a job who treats it with such disdain as to not bothering to turn up on time, for no good reason, must really irk i. those who work with such a person, and ii. those if given the chance would turn up when they're supposed to.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gaz I'm sorry if you are looking for a job. Never once have I said I'm not grateful for being employed. When you find yourself leaving home every day at 7:30AM to get to work for 9:00AM only to find someone who lives 30 minutes away struggles to make it in for 10:00AM yet is still leaving at 18:00 or has happened left before me. Then you can't help but be frustrated.

More to the point one of the things that is stressing me is that I'm starting to think our company is looking to get rid of someone. Add to that despite all this, I'm fairly sure it would be me. I've been the kind of person not afraid to get stuck in when it gets shitty. As a result unlike the rest of the dept. I don't get involved in many projects etc that get noticed, and onto so much pigeon hole myself into a role that I specialize in.

Two weeks back we had to give senior management a list of things we will be working on the next day. When you're picking up random crap you can't plan or give a very impressive list.

So I'm sorry if this seems trivial, and wish you luck in seeking employment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts