Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have seen the track car is up for sale. I need to change the upper wishbones, before it finally goes, as they are creaking regularly with the hot, humid weather we are having.

When you drop the rod out at the top that goes through both of the bushes, do you grease that all up as you put it back into place, or is that not required?

Can never quite remember - what do you do? :)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrinx,

Had a look on Jamie's site, but it doesn't tell you whether to grease up the bolts that run through the bearings on re-fitting, as it doesn't go into that level of detail. It is more to do with just removing and refitting the parts.

I am guessing there is no grease involved, but would just like to know from someone definitively..... :)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On one other site, someone seems to suggest 'rubber grease'. I presume this is a grease that is compatible with use where it comes into contact with rubber - clearly!

As I don't have any of that to hand, does anyone know if I can substitute grease used for CV joints in this application, to a bearing (well.... a bolt that has a bit of rotation around it, near to rubber, more accurately) that doesn't take any heat load, but is exposed to the elements.

I suppose I could wait and get some 'rubber grease' but that requires more waiting and hanging around, to a fix that I am not sure if it needs lubrication in the first place.

I have some copper grease.......?

Probably have some silicone grease to hand.... does anyone know their greases??

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Edward. I have fitted powerflex bushes but whenever I've done upper arms I grease the long bolt to aid lubrication. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
On one other site, someone seems to suggest 'rubber grease'. I presume this is a grease that is compatible with use where it comes into contact with rubber - clearly!

As I don't have any of that to hand, does anyone know if I can substitute grease used for CV joints in this application, to a bearing (well.... a bolt that has a bit of rotation around it, near to rubber, more accurately) that doesn't take any heat load, but is exposed to the elements.

I suppose I could wait and get some 'rubber grease' but that requires more waiting and hanging around, to a fix that I am not sure if it needs lubrication in the first place.

I have some copper grease.......?

Probably have some silicone grease to hand.... does anyone know their greases??

I would grease the long bolt as mentioned by joss, however regarding 'rubber grease' you first need to understand what type of rubber you are going to grease.
If the rubber is in natural form it could swell and breakdown if mineral based greases are used. If you dont know the best way forward is to use a silicone grease, this will stop any damage to the rubber parts.
You can get high temperature silicone (red) grease which is suitable for use on brakes or you should also be able to get hold of marine silicone grease which should be suitable for suspension rubber components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts