Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I have just taken on a 96 GTV, which I'm loving but am searching for a couple of answers for things...

I'd like a replacement "GTV" badge for the boot as the current one has a missing T. Can't google it so I'm stuck...

Also, although I'm not used to ABS, my brakes seem a little soft... or at least it takes a fair amount of pedal travel to get serious action out of them. I've checked the pads and they seem fine, is this just paranoia?

Finally, the handbook suggests a petrol grade "higher than 95". Does putting in 97 unleaded make any much difference?

Have enjoyed trawling the forum so far... cheers!

·
Registered
629 Posts
get a badge from an alfa dealer, note that there are two types of boot lock/badge fitting, buy the wrong one and it won't fit or your badge will be upside down.

maybe your brakes need new fluid/bleeding, make sure you don't let the level drop when replacing the fluid, if you get air in the ABS pump you will need to buy a new one.

97 unleaded is fine, other owners use optimax etc.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The "gtv" badge is a few quid from the dealer. They're all the same.. it's the Alfa badge that had differences.

The brakes need bleeding. It's not related to having ABS or not.. that just works when the wheels lock up and feels like a pulsing pedal and a growling noise, rather like someone shoved a stick in the wheel spokes.

Air in the ABS pump isn't serious.. it must have had air in it when it was built, prior to fitting. Just bleed the whole brake circuit (front and back) until new fluid comes out at each caliper and it'll be sorted.

Make sure the level doesn't drop as you do it, or air will get in at the top. You can get a bleed kit from good motor factors..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... i found out why my brakes were soft courtesy of MGC Notts. It would appear my discs were "rusted to ****"! :rolleyes: Sorted now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts