Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope the weather made for some good cruising weather in your GTA's:cool:

Whilst giving my GTA a clean over the weekend, I realised my brakes discs on the back and front were rusty in more places than not. Not cool!:tut:

So I need new Discs and pads on the front and back. I reckon I've got £400-£500 to fully replace the lot including fitting. Looking for grooved and/or drilled to get the look and the benefits. As part of the Alfa Owners club, there is a 40% discount on Red dot brakes available. Worth it/any good?

My current ones are 305mm. I'd love to upgrade to 330mm but reckon they're too expensive.

So any advice on the above would be really helpful.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi all,

Whilst giving my GTA a clean over the weekend, I realised my brakes discs on the back and front were rusty in more places than not. Not cool!:tut:

So I need new Discs and pads on the front and back. I reckon I've got £400-£500 to fully replace the lot including fitting. Looking for grooved and/or drilled to get the look and the benefits. As part of the Alfa Owners club, there is a 40% discount on Red dot brakes available. Worth it/any good?

My current ones are 305mm. I'd love to upgrade to 330mm but reckon they're too expensive.

Cheers
Wes

Give Kevin or Jason at EB Spares a call, they will sort you out quickly. Excellent service from them, i get all my spares from them.. They've actually got a nice set of drilled discs for the GTA whether you have 305mm or 330's like mine they can still sort you out..

Cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
519 Posts
There are new discs for direct replacement of the 305's from Brembo - I think they come from the GT BIG Brake kit.

They are available grooved or drilled though advice I have read says to stay away from grooved in general as they are prone to cracking specially when hot and you hit a puddle a douse them in cold water.

Check here: Check Alfisiti for the GTA model numbers, I don't think europerformance are listing them yet.

There are a good few brands to choose from and there is a lot of recommendations for Feredo DS2500 pads. I am going the Brembo route when the discs need done (soon) since its consistent with the calipers at the front.

The discs are also coated so that the parts that are not in contact with the pads are not subject to rust over the long term.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't think you'll find many people who recommend red dot brakes on here ... I've got them (discs and pads) and to be honest they're rubbish, I get serious brake fade ... when the pads run out I'm going to get some DS2500's put on ...

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
Try 'Performance Friction' pads, you can buy them from the AlfaOwner Shop AO Shop - The Alfa Romeo Parts Shop

If you need to talk to someone about them, give Ned at AutoLusso a ring, he is the supplier of these pads for Alfas in the UK: 01582 869650

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers
Wes
Wes - I contacted Alfa UK and they agreed to upgrade the front brakes from 305s to 330s on mine for the labour of 400 quid - basically they cover cost of the parts which is well over 1000 quid....its worth ago...You have to get it done at a dealer though. While it was in the dealer, he quoted me £240 to replace the (standard) back disks and pads for me - its what i told him my indy quoted me who always services the car from me.......So £640 all in. Result if you ask me!!

PM me if you want the email of the guy I spoke to at Alfa.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Wes - I contacted Alfa UK and they agreed to upgrade the front brakes from 305s to 330s on mine for the labour of 400 quid - basically they cover cost of the parts which is well over 1000 quid....its worth ago...You have to get it done at a dealer though. While it was in the dealer, he quoted me £240 to replace the (standard) back disks and pads for me - its what i told him my indy quoted me who always services the car from me.......So £640 all in. Result if you ask me!!

Can I ask how old your car was, was it still in warranty? How long go did you have this done? I'm contemplating buying aftermarket brakes kit but if I can get the 330s for 400 notes, christ I'll have it done tomorrow :D

E

·
0 Posts

Glad I saw this, mine has the 305's and needs new discs and pads. My only issue is I have the original multispoke alloys that they don't fit under without changing a bolt on the caliper if my memory is correct. Anyway, cheers for that I will PM you my email :thumbs:

To echo what pud said, if I stay on 305's I will be getting standard discs and performance friction pads. I asked Ned about disc upgrades and he recommended just sticking with standard but getting the pads, he then gave me a demo of the Q2 and performance pads on his test mule 156, and it was impressive.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Performance Friction pads are excellent. Do a search and you'll find a load of positives:thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice.

I have purchased drilled and grooved with performance pads from EB spares and Lombarda in london are fitting them for me on Saturday. OK, might not be the 330's but they will look mean!!!

Will post some pics when done.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
279 Posts
So whats the best options , I was thinking of getting some 40 groove discs off Ebay :) 100 pounds for a pair :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
As an AO member you get 40% discount at Red Dot discs ... just don't go for their pads as they aren't that great (IMO)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
DS2500's come highly recommended, they don't suffer from any brake fade and (apparently) work quite well from cold too ... That's what I've heard on this forum anyway, and when my rubbish red dot pad's where out that is what I'll be getting :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts